Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Roles & Responsibilities of a Linux/Unix administrator Post 302351699 by apsprabhu on Wednesday 9th of September 2009 09:26:44 AM
Old 09-09-2009
Roles & Responsibilities of a Linux/Unix administrator

Hi All,

At present i have good knowledge and experience in unix/ linux shell scripting. I believe unix shell scripting with administration will be a hot skill set, so I would like to become a Unix/Linux system admin. What are the key skills i have to learn to become a successful administrator.

Requesting your kind advice.

Thanks in advance

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Administrator responsibilities

HELLOW ALL Can any one tell me what are the Requirements for any system administrator to be a system administrators (After taking all the courses for IBM or the the track that requires only during your job). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path to Linux / Unix Systems Administrator

Hello! I have seen similar questions asked about how to become a system administrator. Most would say experience is more important than just getting a certificate and even a degree. However, I haven't found a good information how to build experience from a newbie to entry-level systems... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sideburn
8 Replies

4. Linux

Administrator responsibilities, in case of power outage?

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could share some of your knowledge, in the event of a power outage. Let presume you are on duty and you get a call at midnight because half of your cabinets have no power, air conditioning is down and you deal with a ton of 500 error messages on your boxes. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: TECK
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Books for person who want to be Linux/Unix administrator

Hi, I would like to become Linux/Unix administrator. Of course I am aware that it is practically impossible to get that job immediately and in the beginning it will be Junior position or 2nd level of technical support. But I would like to ask: how in-depth knowledge about daemons such like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidMax
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Oracle Database - How to check if user roles and system roles are separated?

I have these two table. How do I see if user roles and system roles are seperated? SQL> desc DBA_ROLES; Name Null? Type ----------------------------------------- -------- ---------------------------- ROLE NOT NULL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
1 Replies
SULOGIN(8)						       System Administration							SULOGIN(8)

NAME
sulogin - Single-user login SYNOPSIS
sulogin [options] [tty] DESCRIPTION
sulogin is invoked by init when the system goes into single user mode. The user is prompted: Give root password for system maintenance (or type Control-D for normal startup): sulogin will be connected to the current terminal, or to the optional tty device that can be specified on the command line (typically /dev/console). After the user exits the single-user shell or presses control-D at the prompt, the system will continue to boot. OPTIONS
-e, --force If the default method of obtaining the root password via getpwnam(3) from the system fails, manually examine /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to get the password. If they are damaged or nonexistent, sulogin will start a root shell without asking for a password. Only use the -e option if you are sure the console is physically protected against unauthorized access. -p, --login-shell Specifying this option causes sulogin to start the shell process as a login shell. -t, --timeout seconds Specify the maximum amount of time to wait for user input. By default, sulogin will wait forever. -h, --help Print a help message. -V, --version Output version. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
sulogin looks for the environment variable SUSHELL or sushell to determine what shell to start. If the environment variable is not set, it will try to execute root's shell from /etc/passwd. If that fails it will fall back to /bin/sh. AUTHOR
sulogin was written by Miquel van Smoorenburg for sysvinit and later ported to util-linux by Dave Reisner and Karel Zak. AVAILABILITY
The sulogin command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux Jul 2012 SULOGIN(8)