Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 Speed and Duplex Settings: bge Post 302349297 by brialt1 on Monday 31st of August 2009 03:19:22 PM
Old 08-31-2009
Solaris 10 Speed and Duplex Settings: bge

Evening,

I am attempting to change the speed and duplex settings on a single interface on a bge card on an m3000 SPARC server. Currently the settings are as follows:

Code:
bge0            link: up        speed: 1000  Mbps       duplex: full
bge1            link: up        speed: 100   Mbps       duplex: half
bge2            link: up        speed: 1000  Mbps       duplex: full
bge3            link: unknown   speed: 0     Mbps       duplex: unknown
nxge0           link: down      speed: 1000  Mbps       duplex: full
nxge1           link: up        speed: 100   Mbps       duplex: full
nxge2           link: up        speed: 1000  Mbps       duplex: full
nxge3           link: down      speed: 1000  Mbps       duplex: full

I would like to change the bge1 interface to full duplex permanently. I read that I could make changes to the /platform/sun4u/kernel/drv/bge.conf file to make this permanent, however all of our attempts have not yielded the expected results.

Additional Information:

Code:
root@dssbfw101a.myhughesnet.com$ grep bge /etc/path_to_inst
"/pci@0,600000/pci@0/pci@1/pci@0/network@4" 0 "bge"
"/pci@0,600000/pci@0/pci@1/pci@0/network@4,1" 1 "bge"
"/pci@0,600000/pci@0/pci@2/pci@0/network@4" 2 "bge"
"/pci@0,600000/pci@0/pci@2/pci@0/network@4,1" 3 "bge"

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 08-31-2009 at 04:37 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Duplex Settings

Hi All I've been having a lot of errors logged on the Cisco Catalyst (4000 series) which one of my Solaris servers is patched into. I have a feeling they are duplex related, but I'm a bit stuck as to how to confirm that. How do I: 1. Check the duplex settings on my eri0 card? 2. Set the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saabir
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

NIC speed 100M/full duplex problem

I have a TOSHIBA AS7000 B150 Sun Box I wanted to run it with 100M/full duplex I had added this to the /etc/system file to make to setting permenant So it would be set correctly on reboot. set eri:eri_adv_100fdx_cap=1 set eri:eri_adv_100hdx_cap=0 set eri:eri_adv_autoneg_cap=0 But when I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirWalker83
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

command to change duplex settings..

Hi Folks, I want the command to change the duplex settings of a HP-UX server. Thanks in advance. Sagar. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
2 Replies

4. Solaris

gigabit - fix speed/duplex on the switch ? or autoneg ?

Hi there We have a bit of a debate going here over what the prefered method is for setting 1000/Full on e1000g or nge interfaces is. As you aware the Solaris configration files for nge and e1000g dont allow you to "fix" 1000/Full but instead allow you to set auto-negotiate to ON but only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to set full duplex for solaris 5.5

I would like to change half duplex to full duplex on solaris 5.5. I tried with below commands but they didnt work on solaris 5.5. #ndd -set /dev/le adv_100fdx_cap 1 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csreenivas
6 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

How to find the duplex speed on Windows

Hi, In UNIX, it's very easy to find the duplex speed. But in Windows, is there a easy way to find the duplex speed? I can't go to over 100 servers to find this out, I was wondering if I run one command to do this? Please advice. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to find half duplex or full duplex

Hi, How to find whether the server is running with half duplex or full duplex. I tried with the following command ndd -get /dev/ but am not getting any output,. Is the command correct? Also let me know how to change from half to full duplex. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rogerben
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to change Speed Duplex

How to change Speed Duplex ! How to change Speed Duplex by command chdev -P -l ent1 -a media_speed=1000_Full_Duplex How to change Speed Duplex by Smitty . smitty chgenet -> select adapter -> change Media speed etc. -> set "Apply change to DATABASE only" to yes -> Enter -> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
0 Replies

9. AIX

Connected and Running with half duplex speed

VIO Server connected to switch port and running with half duplex speed on one of the shared ethernet adapter. We have verified at switch end and everythings looks good. Other ethernet adapter in the VIO server are connected and running in Full duplex speed. Please help me find why this shared... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mugunthanvh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script help for monitoring duplex settings

So I have a server I am trying to set up a script to send a Wall message notifying of my eth0 nic being set to 100 half duplex instead of 100 full duplex. I know I am trying to read from /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0 to pull the parameters STARTMODE=onboot BOOTPROTO=static... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lutador72
6 Replies
nxge(7D)							      Devices								  nxge(7D)

NAME
nxge - Sun 10/1 Gigabit Ethernet network driver SYNOPSIS
/dev/nxge* DESCRIPTION
The nxge Gigabit Ethernet driver is a multi-threaded, loadable, clonable, GLD-based STREAMS driver supporting the Data Link Provider Inter- face, dlpi(7P), on Sun Gigabit Ethernet hardware (NIU, Sun x8, Express Dual 10 Gigabit Ethernet fiber XFP low profile adapter and the 10/100/1000BASE-T x8 Express low profile adapter). The nxge driver functions include chip initialization, frame transmit and receive, flow classification, multicast and promiscuous support, and error recovery and reporting. The nxge device provides fully-compliant IEEE 802.3ae 10Gb/s full duplex operation using XFP-based 10GigE optics (NIU, dual 10 Gigabit fiber XFP adapter). The Sun Ethernet hardware supports the IEEE 802.3x frame-based flow control capabilities. For the 10/100/1000BASE-T adapter, the nxge driver and hardware support auto-negotiation, a protocol specified by the 1000 Base-T standard. Auto-negotiation allows each device to advertise its capabilities and discover those of its peer (link partner). The highest common denomi- nator supported by both link partners is automatically selected, yielding the greatest available throughput while requiring no manual con- figuration. The nxge driver also allows you to configure the advertised capabilities to less than the maximum (where the full speed of the interface is not required) or to force a specific mode of operation, irrespective of the link partner's advertised capabilities. APPLICATION PROGRAMMING INTERFACE
The cloning character-special device, /dev/nxge, is used to access all Sun Neptune NIU devices installed within the system. The nxge driver is managed by the dladm(1M) command line utility, which allows VLANs to be defined on top of nxge instances and for nxge instances to be aggregated. See dladm(1M) for more details. You must send an explicit DL_ATTACH_REQ message to associate the opened stream with a particular device (PPA). The PPA ID is interpreted as an unsigned integer data type and indicates the corresponding device instance (unit) number. The driver returns an error (DL_ERROR_ACK) if the PPA field value does not correspond to a valid device instance number for the system. The device is initialized on first attach and de- initialized (stopped) at last detach. The values returned by the driver in the DL_INFO_ACK primitive in response to a DL_INFO_REQ are: o Maximum SDU (default 1500). o Minimum SDU (default 0). The driver pads to the mandatory 60-octet minimum packet size. o DLSAP address length is 8. o MAC type is DL_ETHER. o SAP length value is -2, meaning the physical address component is followed immediately by a 2-byte SAP component within the DLSAP address. o Broadcast address value is the Ethernet/IEEE broadcast address (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF). Due to the nature of link address definition for IPoIB, the DL_SET_PHYS_ADDR_REQ DLPI primitive is not supported. In the transmit case for streams that have been put in raw mode via the DLIOCRAW ioctl, the dlpi application must prepend the 20 byte IPoIB destination address to the data it wants to transmit over-the-wire. In the receive case, applications receive the IP/ARP datagram along with the IETF defined 4 byte header. Once in the DL_ATTACHED state, you must send a DL_BIND_REQ to associate a particular Service Access Point (SAP) with the stream. CONFIGURATION
For the 10/100/1000BASE-T adapter, the nxge driver performs auto-negotiation to select the link speed and mode. Link speed and mode may be 10000 Mbps full-duplex (10 Gigabit adapter), 1000 Mbps full-duplex, 100 Mbps full-duplex, or 10 Mbps full-duplex, depending on the hardware adapter type. See the IEEE802.3 standard for more information. The auto-negotiation protocol automatically selects the 1000 Mbps, 100 Mbps, or 10 Mbps operation modes (full-duplex only) as the highest common denominator supported by both link partners. Because the nxge device supports all modes, the effect is to select the highest throughput mode supported by the other device. You can also set the capabilities advertised by the nxge device using dladm(1M). The driver supports a number of parameters whose names begin with en_ (see below). Each of these parameters contains a boolean value that determines if the device advertises that mode of opera- tion. The adv_autoneg_cap parameter controls whether auto-negotiation is performed. If adv_autoneg_cap is set to 0, the driver forces the mode of operation selected by the first non-zero parameter in priority order as shown below: (highest priority/greatest throughput) en_1000fdx_cap 1000Mbps full duplex en_100fdx_cap 100Mpbs full duplex en_10fdx_cap 10Mpbs full duplex (lowest priority/least throughput) All capabilities default to enabled. Note that changing any capability parameter causes the link to go down while the link partners renego- tiate the link speed/duplex using the newly changed capabilities. FILES
/dev/nxge* Special character device. /kernel/drv/nxge 32-bit device driver (x86). /kernel/drv/sparcv9/nxge 64-bit device driver (SPARC). /kernel/drv/amd64/nxge 64-bit device driver (x86). /kernel/drv/nxge.conf Configuration file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |SPARC, x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
dladm(1M), netstat(1M), attributes(5), streamio(7I), dlpi(7P), driver.conf(4) Writing Device Drivers STREAMS Programming Guide Network Interfaces Programmer's Guide IEEE 802.3ae Specification -- 2002 SunOS 5.11 12 Apr 2008 nxge(7D)