Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retrieving values from tab-delimited file in unix script Post 302348056 by methyl on Thursday 27th of August 2009 08:15:45 AM
Old 08-27-2009
You need to tell cut that the delimiter is a tab and to put quotes round $record.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
TAB=`echo "\0011\c"`
cat tab_delimited_file | while read record
do
        value=`echo "${record}" | cut -f12 -d"${TAB}"`
        echo "${value}"
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix

Hi, Can anyone let me know on how to convert a Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix Thanks!! (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
22 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to echo space or tab delimited values into rows?

Hi, I have the following code: LIST=`ls | grep '.sql$'` echo $LIST The above code will give me something like.. file1.sh file2.sh file3.sh file4.sh file5.sh I want to display the values into rows using echo like... file1.sh file2.sh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mac script - issue with tab delimited input file

Hi: I'm writing a script that will take source / destination pathnames and metadata information from a tab-delimited input file, and then perform various directory creation, file moving and renaming, and tagging of files. I think I have what I need to do the file manipulation in the script -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GRIMESPACE
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

merge two tab delimited file with exact same number of rows in unix/linux

Hi I have two tab delimited file with different number of columns but same number of rows. I need to combine these two files in such a way that row 1 in file 2 comes adjacent to row 1 in file 1. For example: The content of file1: field1 field2 field3 a1 a2 a3 b1 b2 b3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mary271
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with converting Pipe delimited file to Tab Delimited

I have a file which was pipe delimited, I need to make it tab delimited. I tried with sed but no use cat file | sed 's/|//t/g' The above command substituted "/t" not tab in the place of pipe. Sample file: abc|123|2012-01-30|2012-04-28|xyz have to convert to: abc 123... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make tab delimited file to space delimited?

Hi How to make tab delimited file to space delimited? in put file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl o/p file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl Use code tags, thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with tab delimited file in unix

Hi, I need urgent help with a tab delimited file I am working on. This is the file : TTTT|YYYYYYY|jargon-journal|MP0000000UID||"j1, j2, j3" I need th following output: TTTT|YYYYYYY|jargon-journal|MP0000000UID||ji TTTT|YYYYYYY|jargon-journal|MP0000000UID||j2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayarnab
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort tab delimited file according to which rows have missing values

Hello! I have a tab delimited file with values in three columns. Some values occur in all three columns, other values are present in only one or two columns. I would like to sort the file so that rows with no missing values come first, rows with one missing values come next, and rows with two... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBarrett1213
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
tabs(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   tabs(1)

NAME
tabs - set tabs on a terminal SYNOPSIS
tabs [-v[n]] [-ahuUV] file... DESCRIPTION
The tabs program clears and sets tab-stops on the terminal. This uses the terminfo clear_all_tabs and set_tab capabilities. If either is absent, tabs is unable to clear/set tab-stops. The terminal should be configured to use hard tabs, e.g., stty tab0 OPTIONS
General Options -Tname Tell tabs which terminal type to use. If this option is not given, tabs will use the $TERM environment variable. If that is not set, it will use the ansi+tabs entry. -d The debugging option shows a ruler line, followed by two data lines. The first data line shows the expected tab-stops marked with asterisks. The second data line shows the actual tab-stops, marked with asterisks. -n This option tells tabs to check the options and run any debugging option, but not to modify the terminal settings. The tabs program processes a single list of tab stops. The last option to be processed which defines a list is the one that determines the list to be processed. Implicit Lists Use a single number as an option, e.g., "-5" to set tabs at the given interval (in this case 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, etc.). Tabs are repeated up to the right margin of the screen. Use "-0" to clear all tabs. Use "-8" to set tabs to the standard interval. Explicit Lists An explicit list can be defined after the options (this does not use a "-"). The values in the list must be in increasing numeric order, and greater than zero. They are separated by a comma or a blank, for example, tabs 1,6,11,16,21 tabs 1 6 11 16 21 Use a '+' to treat a number as an increment relative to the previous value, e.g., tabs 1,+5,+5,+5,+5 which is equivalent to the 1,6,11,16,21 example. Predefined Tab-Stops X/Open defines several predefined lists of tab stops. -a Assembler, IBM S/370, first format -a2 Assembler, IBM S/370, second format -c COBOL, normal format -c2 COBOL compact format -c3 COBOL compact format extended -f FORTRAN -p PL/I -s SNOBOL -u UNIVAC 1100 Assembler PORTABILITY
X/Open describes a +m option, to set a terminal's left-margin. Very few of the entries in the terminal database provide this capability. The -d (debug) and -n (no-op) options are extensions not provided by other implementations. Documentation for other implementations states that there is a limit on the number of tab stops. While some terminals may not accept an arbitrary number of tab stops, this implementation will attempt to set tab stops up to the right margin of the screen, if the given list happens to be that long. SEE ALSO
tset(1), infocmp(1), ncurses(3NCURSES), terminfo(5). This describes ncurses version 5.9 (patch 20110404). tabs(1)