Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retrieving values from tab-delimited file in unix script Post 302348007 by Festus Hagen on Thursday 27th of August 2009 06:45:47 AM
Old 08-27-2009
I believe you need to run it through 'dos2unix'!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix

Hi, Can anyone let me know on how to convert a Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix Thanks!! (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
22 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to echo space or tab delimited values into rows?

Hi, I have the following code: LIST=`ls | grep '.sql$'` echo $LIST The above code will give me something like.. file1.sh file2.sh file3.sh file4.sh file5.sh I want to display the values into rows using echo like... file1.sh file2.sh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mac script - issue with tab delimited input file

Hi: I'm writing a script that will take source / destination pathnames and metadata information from a tab-delimited input file, and then perform various directory creation, file moving and renaming, and tagging of files. I think I have what I need to do the file manipulation in the script -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GRIMESPACE
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

merge two tab delimited file with exact same number of rows in unix/linux

Hi I have two tab delimited file with different number of columns but same number of rows. I need to combine these two files in such a way that row 1 in file 2 comes adjacent to row 1 in file 1. For example: The content of file1: field1 field2 field3 a1 a2 a3 b1 b2 b3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mary271
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with converting Pipe delimited file to Tab Delimited

I have a file which was pipe delimited, I need to make it tab delimited. I tried with sed but no use cat file | sed 's/|//t/g' The above command substituted "/t" not tab in the place of pipe. Sample file: abc|123|2012-01-30|2012-04-28|xyz have to convert to: abc 123... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make tab delimited file to space delimited?

Hi How to make tab delimited file to space delimited? in put file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl o/p file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl Use code tags, thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with tab delimited file in unix

Hi, I need urgent help with a tab delimited file I am working on. This is the file : TTTT|YYYYYYY|jargon-journal|MP0000000UID||"j1, j2, j3" I need th following output: TTTT|YYYYYYY|jargon-journal|MP0000000UID||ji TTTT|YYYYYYY|jargon-journal|MP0000000UID||j2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayarnab
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort tab delimited file according to which rows have missing values

Hello! I have a tab delimited file with values in three columns. Some values occur in all three columns, other values are present in only one or two columns. I would like to sort the file so that rows with no missing values come first, rows with one missing values come next, and rows with two... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBarrett1213
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
tabs(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   tabs(1)

NAME
tabs - set tabs on a terminal SYNOPSIS
[tabspec] n] type] DESCRIPTION
sets the tab stops on the user's terminal according to the tab specification tabspec, after clearing any previous settings. The user's terminal must have remotely-settable hardware tabs. If you are using a non-HP terminal, you should keep in mind that behavior will vary for some tab settings. Four types of tab specification are accepted for tabspec: ``canned'', repetitive, arbitrary, and file. If no is given, the default value is i.e., UNIX ``standard'' tabs. The lowest column number is 1. Note that for tabs, column 1 always refers to the left-most column on a terminal, even one whose column markers begin at 0. Gives the name of one of a set of ``canned'' tabs. Recognized codes and their meanings are as follows: 1,10,16,36,72 Assembler, IBM S/370, first format 1,10,16,40,72 Assembler, IBM S/370, second format 1,8,12,16,20,55 COBOL, normal format 1,6,10,14,49 COBOL compact format (columns 1-6 omitted). Using this code, the first typed character corresponds to card column 7, one space gets you to column 8, and a tab reaches column 12. Files using this tab setup should have specify a format specification file as defined by below. The file should have the following format specification: 1,6,10,14,18,22,26,30,34,38,42,46,50,54,58,62,67 COBOL compact format (columns 1-6 omitted), with more tabs than This is the recommended format for COBOL. The appro- priate format specification is: 1,7,11,15,19,23 FORTRAN 1,5,9,13,17,21,25,29,33,37,41,45,49,53,57,61 PL/I 1,10,55 SNOBOL 1,12,20,44 UNIVAC 1100 Assembler In addition to these ``canned'' formats, three other types exist: A repetitive specification requests tabs at columns 1+n, 1+2xn, etc. Of particular importance is the value this represents the UNIX ``standard'' tab setting, and is the most likely tab setting to be found at a terminal. Another special case is the value implying no tabs at all. The arbitrary format permits the user to type any chosen set of numbers, separated by commas, in ascending order. Up to 40 numbers are allowed. If any number (except the first one) is preceded by a plus sign, it is taken as an increment to be added to the previous value. Thus, the tab lists 1,10,20,30 and 1,10,+10,+10 are considered identical. If the name of a file is given, reads the first line of the file, searching for a format specification. If it finds one there, it sets the tab stops according to it, otherwise it sets them as This type of specification can be used to ensure that a tabbed file is printed with correct tab settings, and is suitable for use with the command (see pr(1)): Any of the following can be used also; if a given option occurs more than once, the last value given takes effect: usually needs to know the type of terminal in order to set tabs and always needs to know the type to set margins. type is a name listed in term(5). If no option is supplied, searches for the value in the environment (see environ(5)). If is not defined in the environment, tries a sequence that will work for many terminals. The margin argument can be used for some terminals. It causes all tabs to be moved over n columns by making column n+1 the left margin. If is given without a value of n, the value assumed is 10. The normal (left-most) margin on most terminals is obtained by The margin for most terminals is reset only when the option is given explicitly. Tab and margin setting is performed via the standard output. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of text within file as single- and/or multi-byte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. DIAGNOSTICS
Arbitrary tabs are ordered incorrectly. A zero or missing increment found in an arbitrary specification. A ``canned'' code cannot be found. option was used and file cannot be opened. option was used and the specification in that file points to yet another file. Indirection of this form is not permitted. WARNINGS
There is no consistency among different terminals regarding ways of clearing tabs and setting the left margin. It is generally impossible to usefully change the left margin without also setting tabs. clears only 20 tabs (on terminals requiring a long sequence), but is willing to set 64. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), pr(1), tset(1), environ(5), term(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
tabs(1)