Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Projects / Tasks / Zones
Operating Systems Solaris Projects / Tasks / Zones Post 302346715 by sbk1972 on Monday 24th of August 2009 02:34:15 AM
Old 08-24-2009
Hi all

Thanks rhfromn for your reply. After asking that question I then learnt up about zones / projects / tasks.

When I asked you about global zone and the projects defined on them whether they replicate down to the zones, nope they dont. From zonecfg you can set various rctl controls, but only relating to cpus / memory / swap space and other phyiscal resources, things that will `shape` the setup of the zone.

Things like file descriptors, number of processes, etc, that were once controlled by /etc/system, are now done via projects / tasks and have to be done within the zone using the prctl command, or via projects.

You can set them on the fly :-
# ulimit -a
# prctl -n process.max-file-descriptor -v 400 $$
# ulimit -a

Or you can set them into the default project which is used if the user you log in as, hasn’t been defined a project. You can projmod / projadd, or you can just manually alter the /etc/project file. Its like the /etc/passwd file, despite having useradd / userdel, you can still manually alter it.

system:0::::
user.root:1::::
noproject:2::::
default:3::::
group.staff:10::::
group.bodi:103:Bodi Environments:bodi1173:bodiSmilierocess.max-file-descriptor=(basic,1024,deny)

Or you can set up a project and add the application users to it, or add the group they belong to, to the project. Instead of updating the /etc/passwd with more fields, solaris updates the users within the /etc/user_attr.

To add users to projects :-

# Usermod -K project=group.bodi sbk ( updates /etc/user_attr file)

Or

# projmod -p 103 -U bodi1173 group.bodi ( updates the /etc/project file)

If your adding two users, then you need to do :-

# projmod -p 103 -U bodi1173,bodi553 group.bodi

If you dont add them on the same line, then you over write the previous user.

So, there you go. A quick run down on projects, taks, zones and controlling the setup.

Thanks for your help. :-)

SBK

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix projects

I am currently studying to be a Unix programmer. I am at the very beginning stages taking an online course through guruischool. I know that this course will not be nearly enough for me to be a confident or competent unix programmer. However I was wondering what projects I can do at home that will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedder10
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repetitive Tasks

Could someone tell me how I can simplify the script that follows!!! I know that there must be a way how to grep Average from sar01.................. sar02 ....................... sar03....................... sar04... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JairGuerra
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with tasks!

Hi guys! I have a dummy question for u :p I cant find a solution for these tascks...tried everything (i know :cool: ). 1 Issue the following command sleep 1000 Note that sleep 1000 waits 1000 seconds!!! You cannot do anything now!!! 2 Open another terminal window and enter the tty... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RomeO
1 Replies

4. AIX

Junior SA Tasks?

I've been given more responsibility at work and was basically told to take junior system admin responsibilities over our aix box. The catch is, I need to learn on my own. I know basics, but what are some task that I could perform on a daily basis for starters? We have a support group, but not so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

schedule tasks

As far as I know Crontab is the utulity to schedule tasks to run at specific times.Is there any utility to perform the same task (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interested in getting new projects

Hi , I am interested in getting some new projects on shell scripting . Can some one suggest me some bidding site where I can get the projects. Regards (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: himvat
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Users associated with projects

I have 3 projects for 3 oracle instances and 10-15 users associated with different projects is there any way i can list the users associated with all the projects .. i know one method of id -p but for that i have to su to each user The system was handed over to me configured by external vendor... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Hello.. can someone help my with this tasks?

1. Write a shell program which renames the current directory with the given file extension to another extension. The playoffs are given on the command line. Example usage: $ Rename txt doc will be renamed: aaa.txt in aaa.doc Juhutxt in Juhudoc ... * To solve, you can also help with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eclip
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Projects in Solaris 10

I need help with projects in Solaris 10, sparc system; and I am fairly new at this. I know I can add new parameters for projects in /etc/projects or projmod -a -K "task.max-lwps=(priv,100,deny)" myproject I know that there are current process using that old attribute. Logging the user out and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: br1an
3 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)