Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking how to install ssh service in linux Post 302346119 by Leppie on Friday 21st of August 2009 04:57:22 AM
Old 08-21-2009
Debian based distro's use apt-get to install packages.
To install the SSH server use this command:
Code:
sudo apt-get install openssh-server

and likewise to install the SSH client the following command:
Code:
sudo apt-get install openssh-client

alternatively you could use one of the graphical frontends. Ubuntu installs Gnome as default desktop environment, so you could use the Synaptic package manager (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manger). there is even the Add/Remove tool under the Applications menu.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh install

hi , i am trying to install ssh on solaris8 i have downloaded openssh. if anyone have installed openssh before , i like to know if there are anything else needed to install it. Some web sites says you need zlib and so on. i am confused. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oppai
1 Replies

2. Solaris

could not able to start the ssh service plz suggest

Hi Gurus I could not able to start the ssh service plz suggest root@bics-uatsrvr-01 # svcs -x ssh svc:/network/ssh:default (SSH server) State: offline since Thu May 28 04:12:02 2009 Reason: Service svc:/system/filesystem/usr:default is not running because a method failed. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

3. Web Development

hosting service that allow me to compile and install my own apache

Is there any cheap hosting service that allow me to compile and install my own apache and php ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with the SSH & Telnet Service

Hi gurus of Unix, I am newby in Unix, I need to Know the following. How I know if SSH & Telnet service is UP in Solaris? Please I appreciate your answer Regard Andres (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
2 Replies

5. Solaris

ssh service location on Solaris 8

Hi where can i find the ssh service on solaris 8 if "sshd" it is not available on /etc/init.d? i want to restart the service. i did a "which" and i found this. is this the right path? i want to double check since this is a prod server. bash-2.03# which sshd /usr/sbin/sshd Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrist
4 Replies

6. Programming

doing a socket connection using ssh service

Trying to establish a socket connection using ssh service - but want to use different login name for ssh than what currently logged in as - if under shell know to use ssh -l <login-name> host - however - not sure how to tell o.s. to use different login name when use connect command (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clcoh11
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Helpme !! ssh service in maintenance mode

Hi Guys, Virtual Machine - Solaris 10 ssh service is in maintenance mode, when i tried to disable it it got disabled but when i enabling it ( svcadm enable ssh) it is coming in maintenance mode...... Pls help (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Allow AD service account SSH to Linux systems without 2FA

I have Windows AD server and all of the linux computers are joined to AD. Recently, 2FA has been activated, I wish to exclude some of the domain service accounts from 2FA # less /etc/pam_radius_acl.conf sshd:* # /etc/pam.d/sshd auth required pam_sepermit.so auth requisite... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidpar007
0 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_MOVEFILES(1)