Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using USB sticks in FreeBSD
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using USB sticks in FreeBSD Post 302345505 by figaro on Wednesday 19th of August 2009 11:46:08 AM
Old 08-19-2009
Using USB sticks in FreeBSD

I have a number of questions regarding using usb sticks on xfce and freebsd.
1- Does the thunar volume manager (xfce plugin) actually provide a means to automount usb sticks? I have set all possible options in the volume manager, but have not had any automount yet.
2- Is there any utility on freebsd to measure mean time between failure, or expected time to failure?
3- Is it possible (apart from being undesirable for security and performance reasons) to define a usb stick as a network disc, whereby it defines itself as network disc regardless of where it is plugged in?

Thanks in advance

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Usb printer on freebsd

Hello,i have laserjet 1000 usb printer on fbsd 4.7 when i connect it to usb, usbdev tells me it is working, on port ulpt0 (whatever). When i send some data to port it doesn't tell me any error, printcap is modifyed according manual, and lpr -Plj /etc/rc.conf gives me following error /kernel:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hachik
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using USB Memory Sticks to backup

I'm trying to set up a RELIABLE backup routine using several USB memory sticks on a SCO 6 Server. Does anybody have any experience of how to do this? I presume I have to mount the memory stick, copy the files to it & then unmount the stick so that another memory stick could be used for the next... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ifleet2007
5 Replies

3. BSD

Detecting usb stick in freebsd

I inserted a 8GB usb stick in a number of machine with FreeBSD 7.1, but the medium was not detected: $ dmesg | grep MB usable memory = 4263022592 (4065 MB) avail memory = 4082540544 (3893 MB) pci0: <serial bus, SMBus> at device 31.3 (no driver attached) ad0: 238475MB <WDC WD2500BEVT-00ZCT0... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
6 Replies

4. BSD

Mounting a USB stick in FreeBSD

When mounting a USB stick or pen drive on a FreeBSD machine I always issue the following command: mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt Something I have always wondered is what the option msdosfs stands for and more importantly, why it is necessary. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB-USB cable between linux and windows computers

Is there an easy way to setup a cross-over cable (USB-USB) between a linux box and a windows PC? My 2 machines are next to each other but I really do not want to keep transfering my files using my USB drive. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies

6. BSD

Installing FreeBsd. No usb device found

Hello, all. My english is not good. I have a problem installing FreeBsd. I have not CD-Roms, so i use program FlashBoot for convert iso-image to USB Device. After, I was beginning to install FreeBsd (Sorry my english) When it's time to choose an installation media, i select 9 USB:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snet
3 Replies

7. BSD

Freebsd live usb

Hello. I'm going to make freebsd live usb based on FreeBSD-8.3-RELEASE-i386-livefs.iso. The iso is 257 Megabytes, but after i copy its content to usb drive its volume increases to 971 Megabytes. I tried different methods of copying (tar,cp,cpio) but with the same result. Could anyone help? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
0 Replies
XFCE4-POWER-MANAGER(1)					      General Commands Manual					    XFCE4-POWER-MANAGER(1)

NAME
xfce4-power-manager - The Xfce 4 Power manager SYNOPSIS
xfce4-power-manager [options] DESCRIPTION
xfce4-power-manager manages the power sources on the computer and the devices that can be controlled to reduce their power consumption (such as LCD brightness level, monitor sleep, CPU frequency scaling). In addition, xfce4-power-manager provides a set of freedesktop-com- pliant DBus interfaces to inform other applications about current power level so that they can adjust their power consumption, and it pro- vides the inhibit interface which allows applications to prevent automatic sleep actions via the power manager; as an example, the operat- ing system's package manager should make use of this interface while it is performing update operations. You can run xfce4-power-manager from the command line without specifying any extra arguments. OPTIONS
--no-daemon Starts the power manager in non-daemon mode: useful for debugging. --restart Causes the running power manager to restart. --customize Shows the configuration dialog. --quit Causes any running instance of xfce4-power-manager to exit. BUGS
Please report any bugs to http://bugzilla.xfce.org/. Development discussion should be conducted on the goodies-dev@xfce.org mailing list. Usage related questions should be directed to the xfce@xfce.org mailing list. HOMEPAGE
http://goodies.xfce.org/ AUTHOR
Ali Abdallah <aliov@xfce.org> MANPAGE AUTHORS
Ali Abdallah <aliov@xfce.org>, Robby Workman <rworkman@slackware.com>. 31 March 2009 Version 0.8.0 XFCE4-POWER-MANAGER(1)