Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: topas -P output to file
Operating Systems AIX topas -P output to file Post 302343809 by zxmaus on Thursday 13th of August 2009 04:30:34 PM
Old 08-13-2009
Hi,

try rather topasrec or smitty performance / smitty topas ...

To start a report that runs for 5 minutes and collects metrics every 1 minute, enter the following command:

Code:
topasrec -L -c 5 -s 60

... the file will be in the directory you were in when starting the record and in the format servername_timestamp.topas ... data will be binary and you can run it through nmon analyzer or generate a report via smitty topas panel.

Code:
topas -R

collects data as well and the data is stored automatically in /etc/perf/** but as far as I know there is no possibility to define any values like count or intervals - all you get is the default - and you would need to run it as well through either topasout or nmon analyzer or the smitty panel to really have useful data ...

There was a webinar last year from the AIX virtual usergroup about topas recording - have a look into '2008-9-25_Topas_Recording.wmv' that can be found here:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/p...l-VUG-Replays/

I hope this helps,
kind regards
zxmaus

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Topas

Hi ! I would like to collect every minute the data of the "topas" to file. Under Redhat 9, it's possible to user comand "top" in batch mode ! How is it possible under unix with TOPAS ? Because there is not the parameter " -b"... example ----> topas > filename.out but, it doesn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cgatrader
1 Replies

2. AIX

nmon vs topas

good morning what is the better solution to examen a P570 ? because i use topas and nmon, and the results are totally different !!! with nmon, i have 80% free cpu, and with nmon, i have 90% of used cpu !!!!!! i take a shot with an intervall of 10s during 10 mn. thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

3. AIX

using TOPAS

Hi, I'm using topas to monitor CPU and Disk activity including paging space. Previously, I can see the percentage activity of the disk under column "BUSY%", now I can no longer view it (it's all zero), unless I will run IOSTAT 2 simultaneously. What would be the cause of this? Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasion
2 Replies

4. AIX

topas -P save output

hi i have server monitor script which totally depends upon the output of TOP which works fine on HP. now i am told to put same script on aix i found that topas -P produces same output but it doesnt redirect output to file i have to kill/terminate it. is there any other way to this. as the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
0 Replies

5. AIX

How to redirect output of topas?

Hi , How do i redirect output of topas to a file. i did not find any such option in topas command. Regards, Ashok (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokd001
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Redirect Topas output to a file

Hi, I want to know how to redirect the output of topas -P to a file in a readable format. I tried doing it by using topas -P > topas.txt but the output is not properly aligned and when I opened it using vi it ahd some characters. Please help me out in this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Preetha
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with topas command

How do i display only one iteration of topas command. Ideally i would topas -P to show only one instance rather than keep on running. is there any swicth? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NarayanaPrakash
1 Replies

9. AIX

Record topas command output

How to record output of below command in a text file. topas -P or is there any other command which will do the same thing in AIX. I would like to get a report something similar to below commands. top -b prstat -c (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NarayanaPrakash
5 Replies

10. AIX

Need help on topas command

Hi, how to grep data from topas command...for example i have to grep owner from topas command Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
2 Replies
birthday(1)						      General Commands Manual						       birthday(1)

NAME
birthday - warn about upcoming birthdays and other events SYNOPSIS
birthday [-w|-c] [-f file] [-W defwarn] [-M maxwarn] [-m minwarn] [-l lines] [-p weeks] [-d total] [-i width] DESCRIPTION
The birthday command reads a file, by default ~/.birthdays, which gives a list of events in the near future (see section FILE FORMAT for details). It can then produce either a list of events which are coming up within the next few weeks, or a text-based calendar with a few lines for each day. OPTIONS
-w Display a list of upcoming events. This is the default. -c Display a calendar, designed to be piped to lpr(1). -f file Read the events from file rather than ~/.birthdays. If file is a single hyphen, read the events from the standard input (usually the terminal). List Options -W warn Warn warn days in advance, for entries that have no w flag (see FILE FORMAT). If this switch is not specified, it defaults to 21 days. -M max Warn at most max days in advance. This overrides any flag given in the file. -m min Warn at least min days in advance. This overrides any flag given in the file. Calendar Options -l lines Print lines lines for every day. -p weeks Print weeks weeks on every page of the calendar. If set to 0, the default, disables page breaks. -d days Print the calendar for up to days days in advance. -i width Print the calendar width characters wide. This affects the length of the lines separating each day, and the point at which events will be word-wrapped. FILE FORMAT
Each line beginning with a hash sign, `#', is a comment and will be ignored. Lines beginning with an ampersand, `&', are directives. Cur- rently there is only one such directive, &include file, which reads in a seperate file from your .birthdays file. file should be given with an absolute path, which should not use the tilde notation to specify your home directory. Any other line specifies the name of a person or event, followed by an equals sign and a date (DD/MM, DD/MM/YY or DD/MM/YYYY, where the form DD/MM/YY is assumed to give a date in the 20th century and is now deprecated), and finally some extra options. These options are: bd This line is a birthday (the default). The year, if given, should be when the person was born. A line designated as a birthday will produce output like Erin has a birthday in 3 days' time or Jemima is 3 in 2 weeks' time. ann This line is an anniversary. The year, if given, should be the year in which the thing happened, producing output like Pen exploded 3 years ago tomorrow given a line such as Pen exploded=12/09/93 ann. ev This line is an event of some sort. If a year is given, the text will be displayed in that year only; otherwise, it will be dis- played every year. The remaining time is simply appended to the text; for instance, the input Easter=7/4/1996 ev would give rise to the text Easter in 1 week's time. wn Warn n days in advance of the date, rather than the default of 21 days or the number given with the -W flag. todate The event lasts until date, which should be in the same format as for the date of the event. fordays The event lasts for days days. DATE SPECIFICATION
The file format documented here handles dates in a couple of slightly non-standard ways. Firstly, the dates are given in British format of DD/MM/YYYY, as opposed to the more normal US format MM/DD/YYYY. Secondly, dates with a two-digit year are assumed to be in the 20th century (19xx), rather than taking the standard convention of assuming all two-digit years less than 70 are in the 21st century. This is for reasons of compatibility with older data files, since many people have birthdays before 1970, and the program was written before I came across the Y2K issues. :-( You should probably avoid this format. EXAMPLE
Joe Blow=25/04/1974 FILES
~/.birthdays Your default birthdays file. SEE ALSO
cal(1) BUGS
Both the "features" in the DATE SPECIFICATION section could be construed as bugs, and are mostly present for backwards compatibility. The calendar mode should be a seperate program. The program cannot warn more than one year in advance of anything. AUTHOR
Andy Mortimer <andy.mortimer@zetnet.co.uk> birthday(1)