Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sort and compare files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sort and compare files Post 302341969 by zaxxon on Friday 7th of August 2009 04:33:34 AM
Old 08-07-2009
To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

I asked you to use CODE tags. Edit your post accordingly.
Also again, this is often asked in the forum.
Also again if you don't want to use the search engine of the forum try it at least yourself with some of the example tools I have given up there.
If both example files are sorted, there will be no difference left, btw. Commands are connected by pipes, the vertcial line here -> |

Take it as warning.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort and compare file

If I have 3 kinds of files in directory DATA1: FileA.20060315.dat, FileB.20060315.dat, FileC.20060315.dat FileC.20060316.dat FileA.20060317.dat, FileB.20060317.dat FileA.20060318.dat, FileB.20060318.dat, FileC.20060318.dat If 3 files have the same date then run $cat FileA.20060315.dat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why do we use sort before compare ?

Dear All. Im trying to know how exactly the command "compare" works, does it compare line by line or field by field, and the most important thing is that why the files have to be sorted before we compare them? Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Require compare command to compare 4 files

I have four files, I need to compare these files together. As such i know "sdiff and comm" commands but these commands compare 2 files together. If I use sdiff command then i have to compare each file with other which will increase the codes. Please suggest if you know some commands whcih can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to sort the files and append the extension .sort to the sorted version of the file

Hello all - I am to this forum and fairly new in learning unix and finding some difficulty in preparing a small shell script. I am trying to make script to sort all the files given by user as input (either the exact full name of the file or say the files matching the criteria like all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

comm command -- Sort and compare two files

Team, I have two files and I am trying to find the lines unique to file1. So i have executed the below command at shell prompt and got the correct results comm -23 <(sort test) <(sort test1) When i run the same command in Bash shell script, i got the correct results. But when i run... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort and compare files in more efficient manner?

Hello All, Iam using below method to sort and compare files. First iam doing sorting and changing the same file and then doing comparing and taking the final result to another file. sort -o temp.txt file1 mv temp.txt file1 sort -o temp.txt file2 mv temp.txt file2 sort -o temp.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikram_Tanwar12
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX compare, sort lines and append difference

Hi, I have a file that needs to be converted: content is: a, b, 4 a ,b, 5 x, y, 1 a, b, 1 x, y, 3 how can i get: a, b, 1|4|5 x,y 1|3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nike27
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To make it easier, i gave following example. It is not homework or classwork. Instead, i have a huge csv file dump from tsql with 15 columns and around 300 rows. I was able to extract content that needs to be really converted. Here is the extract: ES FP,B1ES FP,70000,I,SL22,SL22 (70000) ES... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To make it easier, i gave following example. It is not homework or classwork. Instead, i have a huge csv file dump from tsql with 15 columns and around 300 rows. I was able to extract content that needs to be really converted. Here is the extract: ES FP,B1ES FP,70000,I,SL22,SL22 (70000) ES... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sort by record column, Compare with conditons and export the result

Hello, I am new to Unix and would like to seek a help, please. I have 2 files (file_1 and file_2), I need to perform the following actions. 1 ) Sort the both file by the column 26-36 (which is Invoice number) what is sort command with the column sort? 2) Compare the file_1.sorted and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Usagi
3 Replies
xudced(1)						      General Commands Manual							 xudced(1)

NAME
xudced - user-defined character editor SYNOPSIS
xudced [udc_file [WIDTHxHEIGHT]] DESCRIPTION
xudced is an editor that creates, modifies, and deletes user-defined characters (UDC). It uses bitmap(1) to edit UDC character patterns. Character patterns from existing HP Asian fonts can be modified to create UDCs. xudced runs on the X Window System, Version 11. If udc_file is not specified, the file $HOME/.nlio_udc is read. WIDTHxHEIGHT sets the size of UDC pattern. This can be specified by the udc_width and the udc_height resources. If it is not specified, 24x24 is used. Menu Functions are selected with pull-down menus. To select a function, move the mouse pointer to the menu header. Press and hold the left mouse button. A pull-down menu appears. Drag the mouse pointer down to the desired function and release the mouse button. Functions with the ... suffix invoke a pop-up box that requests further information. The following functions are available: File Open ... Open a file for editing. A pop-up box appears. Enter the file name and the size of the UDC and click OK to display the file. Click Cancel to abort the function. Open font ... Open an HP font and display its contents in another window. A pop-up box appears. Enter the HP font name and click OK to display the font. Click Cancel to abort the function. Save Save UDCs to the file. They are sorted by index number according to the udc(4) format. Exit Exit xudced. If the UDCs have been changed since the last Save, a pop-up box appears. Click yes to save the UDCs before exiting. Click no to exit without saving. Click cancel to abort the function. Edit To edit a particular UDC, move the mouse pointer to the UDC, click the left mouse button, and select an Edit function. These functions can be selected from the Edit menu header, or by clicking and dragging the right mouse button while in the edit window. Cut Remove the selected UDC and store it in the Cut&Paste buffer. Copy Copy the selected UDC to the Cut&Paste buffer. Paste Insert the contents of the Cut&Paste buffer. Delete Remove the selected UDC. Search ... Search a UDC. A pop-up box appears. Enter the index number of the UDC and click OK to search the UDC. Click Cancel to abort the function. Modify pattern ... Invoke bitmap(1) to modify the character pattern of the selected UDC. View Code ... Display the index code and the character pattern for all UDCs in the file. A new window appears that dis- plays the index codes and the character patterns. Click Close to close the window. Cut buffer ... Display the contents of Cut&Paste buffer. A new window appears. Click Close to close the window. Cut&Paste Buffer The contents of the Cut&Paste buffer is shared among windows. Therefore, the Cut, Copy, and Paste functions can be used to move character patterns between windows. X Defaults xudced uses the following resources: background background color. foreground foreground color. font text font. udc_width default width of UDC. udc_height default height of UDC. REMARKS
In Japanese environment, two main windows are invoked. One is for the udc of JIS X 0208 font, and the other is for the udc of JIS X 0212 font. SEE ALSO
bitmap(1), udcc(1), udcload(1), udc(4). xudced(1)