Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find: No match due to find command being argument Post 302340515 by mst3k4l on Monday 3rd of August 2009 05:21:07 PM
Old 08-03-2009
find: No match due to find command being argument

I am using csh and getting the error "find: No match." but I cannot figure out why. What I am trying to do is set the find command to a variable and then execute the variable as a command. I ran it through a debugger and it looks like $FIND is getting set but the find command can not actually be found. Here is what the debugger produced:
Quote:
set LIST = find orion/ic -path *arg*
find: No match.
The actual code states:
Code:
set LIST = "find orion/ic -path *arg*"
${LIST} -name "*.ic"

However, the code does work when *arg* is not included in the definition of $LIST. *arg* does need to be in quotes though.
Code:
set LIST = "find orion/ic -path"
${LIST} "*arg*" -name "*.ic"

As a result, I tried to put quotes around *arg* when it was part of $LIST, but I received the same "No match" error.
Quote:
set LIST = find orion/ic -path "*arg*"
find: No match.
This code is being added to an already existing script, so csh MUST be used.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the last argument in a argument line?

How to find the last argument in a argument line? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehagupta2008
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

4. Linux

Simplified find command to find multiple file types

Hi, I'm using the following command to find the multiple requierd file types and its working fine find . -name "*.pl" -o -name "*.pm" -o -name "*.sql" -o -name "*.so" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.java" -o -name "*.class" -o -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.gz" -o -name "*.Z" -type f Though... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"-maxdepth 1" argument for Solaris find. Other way to restrict find in only one directory?

Hi I wish to find only files in dir /srv/container/content/imz06/. It means exclude subfolder /srv/container/content/imz06/archive/ > uname -a SunOS testbox6 5.10 Generic_139555-08 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-T6320Its Solaris default "find" > find /srv/container/content/imz06/* -name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing argument on find command

Hi, I'm trying to pass the variable in the find command like below a=log.20111114 find /apps/file3_logs/env3/ -name '$a' -exec ls -lrt {} \; but it's not working thanks in advance. Regards Thelak (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajithbe
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] find command match pattern

Hello, I would like to ask you, how to match directory names. I need to find only directories, which are created only from numbers and doesn't include any letters. I used command find $AC_WORKDIR/work_archive/test/$dirs_years -maxdepth 1 -name \\* -print If I have dirs like 12... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satin1321
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find command with Metacharacter (*) Should match exact filename

Hi, Below is list of files in my directory. -rw-rw-r--. 1 Roots Roots 0 Dec 26 06:58 12345_kms_report.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 Roots Roots 0 Dec 26 06:59 12346_kms_report.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 Roots Roots 0 Dec 26 06:59 12347_kms_report.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 Roots Roots 0 Dec 26 06:59... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balraj
2 Replies
AID(1)								   User Commands							    AID(1)

NAME
aid - Query ID database and report results. SYNOPSIS
aid [OPTION]... PATTERN... DESCRIPTION
Query ID database and report results. By default, output consists of multiple lines, each line containing the matched identifier followed by the list of file names in which it occurs. -f, --file=FILE file name of ID database -i, --ignore-case match PATTERN case insensitively -l, --literal match PATTERN as a literal string -r, --regexp match PATTERN as a regular expression -w, --word match PATTERN as a delimited word -s, --substring match PATTERN as a substring Note: If PATTERN contains extended regular expression metacharacters, it is interpreted as a regular expression substring. Other- wise, PATTERN is interpreted as a literal word. -k, --key=STYLE STYLE is one of `token', `pattern' or `none' -R, --result=STYLE STYLE is one of `filenames', `grep', `edit' or `none' -S, --separator=STYLE STYLE is one of `braces', `space' or `newline' and only applies to file names when `--result=filenames' The above STYLE options control how query results are presented. Defaults are --key=token --result=filenames --separator=space -F, --frequency=FREQ find tokens that occur FREQ times, where FREQ is a range expressed as `N..M'. If N is omitted, it defaults to 1, if M is omitted it defaults to MAX_USHRT -a, --ambiguous=LEN find tokens whose names are ambiguous for LEN chars -x, --hex only find numbers expressed as hexadecimal -d, --decimal only find numbers expressed as decimal -o, --octal only find numbers expressed as octal By default, searches match numbers of any radix. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to bug-idutils@gnu.org SEE ALSO
The full documentation for aid is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and aid programs are properly installed at your site, the command info aid should give you access to the complete manual. aid - 4.5 August 2010 AID(1)