Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris difference between init and shutdown Post 302335951 by upengan78 on Monday 20th of July 2009 09:11:14 PM
Old 07-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerben
Pls can you explain ur point more clearly..
What it means is that, if you give shutdown command in a solaris shell, then anyone connected to system shell will see a message on their screen that system is going down in 1 minute...then again after 30 seconds...

You can ssh to your test system and watch the screen. At the same time give shutdown command at console. See it yourself. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

difference b/w halt shutdown

Hi, I want to know the difference between halt and shutdown commands and which is better to use? Regards, visu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: visu_ak
2 Replies

2. AIX

Difference between "shutdown" and "shutdown -h" ?

Hi, What is the difference between those two ? thanks Vilius (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

3. Linux

How to I change init levels after typing init 1

Dear all, I typed in init 1 on my redhat box as root and according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel): 1 Single-User Mode Does not configure network interfaces, start daemons, or allow non-root logins So now I can't connect back to it. How do I change the init back to 3?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
8 Replies

4. Red Hat

Difference between 'init s' and 'init 1'

What is the difference between 'init s' and 'init 1'. I know that both will work to change the current run level to single user mode. Is there any difference in those two commands? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Difference between run level & init level

what are the major Difference Between run level & init level (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

The difference between init.d and xinit.d dir ...

What's the difference between the two. I've seen xinit.d directory not always but on some systems. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Praveen_218
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

init-script failing because of /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

I encountered a problem on one of our database servers. OS: CentOS 5.5 final Kernel: 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5.028stab085.2 (OpenVZ kernel) We wrote some DB-Start/Stop-scripts ("/db2/admin/scripts_dba/start_services.ksh" and ".../stop_services.ksh") to start the database instances. (Database... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Difference b/w init s and init1 in red hat linux?

Hi, Guys can any one explain me the difference between init s and init 1 in linux? this would be very useful.... thanx in advance.. regards Amandeep (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aman.singh2886
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

No init messages display during startup/shutdown

This question is more in the line of how init messages get sent to a console during startup/shutdown. My problem has to do with exporting a VM from AWS to KVM (and a retry on virtual box). I am looking for a understanding on how init messages are sent to a device and what controls them My two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtkells
0 Replies
halt(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  halt(1M)

NAME
halt, poweroff - stop the processor SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/halt [-dlnqy] /usr/sbin/poweroff [-dlnqy] DESCRIPTION
The halt and poweroff utilities write any pending information to the disks and then stop the processor. The poweroff utility has the machine remove power, if possible. The halt and poweroff utilities normally log the system shutdown to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), and place a shutdown record in the login accounting file /var/adm/wtmpx. These actions are inhibited if the -n or -q options are present. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Force a system crash dump before rebooting. See dumpadm(1M) for information on configuring system crash dumps. -l Suppress sending a message to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), about who executed halt. -n Prevent the sync(1M) before stopping. -q Quick halt. No graceful shutdown is attempted. -y Halt the system, even from a dialup terminal. FILES
/var/adm/wtmpx History of user access and administration information. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
dumpadm(1M), init(1M), reboot(1M), shutdown(1M), sync(1M), syslogd(1M), inittab(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The halt and poweroff utilities do not cleanly shutdown smf(5) services. Execute the scripts in /etc/rcnum.d or execute shutdown actions in inittab(4). To ensure a complete shutdown of system services, use shutdown(1M) or init(1M) to reboot a Solaris system. SunOS 5.11 2 Nov 2004 halt(1M)