Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk and trig functions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk and trig functions Post 302331048 by pauli on Friday 3rd of July 2009 08:24:10 AM
Old 07-03-2009
Bug awk and trig functions

dear all,

In my script, it would be ideal if I could use an arc-cos (inverse cos) function. I think trig functions are indeed provided by awk, but not inverse trig functions.

So my question simply is: are there any alternative ways to incorporate inverse trig functions into a script?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

pauli

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - arithemetic functions with external variables

I'm trying to get awk to do arithmetic functions with external variables and I'm getting an error that I cannot figure out how to fix. Insight would be appreciated money=$1 rate1=$(awk -F"\t " '/'$converting'/{print $3}' convert.table) rate2=$(awk -F"\t"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DKNUCKLES
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Functions

Hi all. I have a simple shell script shown below which calls an awk function and then print valid or invalid depending on the return value: #!/bin/sh cat file.CSV| nawk -f validate ' BEGIN { FS=","; counter=0} { FS=","; gsub("\"","") valid=validate($1); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxy2d1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use string across functions in AWK

Hi , I m facing one problem with String usage in AWK . let me put what i need . i have a function and there i used one string ( meta_string) function 1 { ................... ................... meta_string = " this string got... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhaviece
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Functions AWK

Hi, I´m using this code: nawk -F¤ -v campotipo=${CAMPO_TIPO_SEDRA} -v ficherolog=${DIRECTORIO_LOGS_MARINE_SEDRA}/${F_LOG_SEDRA} -v ficheroerroneos=${LOG_SEDRA_ERRONEOS} -v separador=${SEPARADOR} -v num_campos=${NUMERO_CAMPOS} -v fichero_procesando=${FICHERO_ENTRADA} ' function valores (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danietepa
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Don't understand how RS functions in awk

I learn using RS in awk to extract portion of file in this forum which is wonderful solution to the problem. However, I don't understand how exactly it operates. I don't quite understand the mechanism behind how searching for /DATA2/ can result in extracting the whole section under "DATA2" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe228
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

User defined functions in awk

Hi; Is der ne to to use user defined functions for the values in awk find $1 -type f -ls | nawk '{{print "|"$3"|"$5"|"$6"|"$8"|"$9"|"$10"|"} for(i=11;i<=NF;i++){printf("%s",$i)}}' In above command i want to append some values returned by user functions on line. thnks; ajay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk "for" functions

hi all, i have these server logs: 25-04-2012;192.168.70.31;1254545454545417;500.0;SUCCESS 25-04-2012;192.168.70.32;355666650914;315126423993;;General_ERROR_23 30-04-2012;192.168.70.33;e;null;null;Failure 30-04-2012;192.168.70.33;e;null;null;Failure... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arrals_vl
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] awk: placement of user-defined functions

Hi folks, is there any recommendation, especially from a point of performance, about where to place a user-defined function in awk, like in BEGIN{} or if it is only need once at the end in END{}? Or doesn't it matter at all since, awk is so clever and only interprets it once, wherever it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Why can't value of awk variables be passed to external functions ?

I wrote a very simple script to understand how to call user-defined functions from within awk after reading this post. function my_func_local { echo "In func $1" } export -f my_func_local echo $1 | awk -F"/" '{for (k=1;k<=NF;k++) { if ($k == "a" ) { system("my_local_func $k") } else{... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
19 Replies
SIN(3M) 																   SIN(3M)

NAME
sin, cos, tan, asin, acos, atan, atan2 - trigonometric functions and their inverses SYNOPSIS
#include <math.h> double sin(x) double x; double cos(x) double x; double tan(x) double x; double asin(x) double x; double acos(x) double x; double atan(x) double x; double atan2(y,x) double y,x; DESCRIPTION
Sin, cos and tan return trigonometric functions of radian arguments x. Asin returns the arc sine in the range -pi/2 to pi/2. Acos returns the arc cosine in the range 0 to Atan returns the arc tangent in the range -pi/2 to pi/2. On a VAX, atan2(y,x) := atan(y/x) if x > 0, sign(y)*(pi - atan(|y/x|)) if x < 0, 0 if x = y = 0, or sign(y)*pi/2 if x = 0 != y. DIAGNOSTICS
On a VAX, if |x| > 1 then asin(x) and acos(x) will return reserved operands and errno will be set to EDOM. NOTES
Atan2 defines atan2(0,0) = 0 on a VAX despite that previously atan2(0,0) may have generated an error message. The reasons for assigning a value to atan2(0,0) are these:(1) Programs that test arguments to avoid computing atan2(0,0) must be indifferent to its value. Programs that require it to be invalid are vulnerable to diverse reactions to that invalidity on diverse computer systems.(2) Atan2 is used mostly to convert from rectangular (x,y) to polar (r,theta) coordinates that must satisfy x = r*cos theta and y = r*sin theta. These equations are satisfied when (x=0,y=0) is mapped to (r=0,theta=0) on a VAX. In general, conversions to polar coordinates should be computed thus: r := hypot(x,y); ... := sqrt(x*x+y*y) theta := atan2(y,x). (3) The foregoing formulas need not be altered to cope in a reasonable way with signed zeros and infinities on a machine that conforms to IEEE 754; the versions of hypot and atan2 provided for such a machine are designed to handle all cases. That is why atan2(+-0,-0) = +-pi, for instance. In general the formulas above are equivalent to these: r := sqrt(x*x+y*y); if r = 0 then x := copysign(1,x); if x > 0 then theta := 2*atan(y/(r+x)) else theta := 2*atan((r-x)/y); except if r is infinite then atan2 will yield an appropriate multiple of pi/4 that would otherwise have to be obtained by taking limits. ERROR (due to Roundoff etc.) Let P stand for the number stored in the computer in place of pi = 3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 ... . Let "trig" stand for one of "sin", "cos" or "tan". Then the expression "trig(x)" in a program actually produces an approximation to trig(x*pi/P), and "atrig(x)" approximates (P/pi)*atrig(x). The approximations are close, within 0.9 ulps for sin, cos and atan, within 2.2 ulps for tan, asin, acos and atan2 on a VAX. Moreover, P = pi in the codes that run on a VAX. In the codes that run on other machines, P differs from pi by a fraction of an ulp; the difference matters only if the argument x is huge, and even then the difference is likely to be swamped by the uncertainty in x. Besides, every trigonometric identity that does not involve pi explicitly is satisfied equally well regardless of whether P = pi. For instance, sin(x)**2+cos(x)**2 = 1 and sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x) to within a few ulps no matter how big x may be. Therefore the difference between P and pi is most unlikely to affect scientific and engi- neering computations. SEE ALSO
math(3M), hypot(3M), sqrt(3M), infnan(3M) AUTHOR
Robert P. Corbett, W. Kahan, Stuart I. McDonald, Peter Tang and, for the codes for IEEE 754, Dr. Kwok-Choi Ng. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 12, 1986 SIN(3M)