Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking server is not getting synchronized with ntp server Post 302324615 by DukeNuke2 on Thursday 11th of June 2009 08:23:52 AM
Old 06-11-2009
what does a "ping ntp1" or "ping ntp2" returns on your system?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ntp Server

Hi. i was wondering if anyone can show me or direct me on setting up a ntp server under redhat.. Is there any howtos so i can get familar to it "any good sites" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
3 Replies

2. Solaris

ntp server and ntp client

All, How do you set a Solaris 9 server which received ntp updates from a ntp server to broadcast them on a local subnet. I have created a /etc/inet/ntp.conf file to receive the updates from a server on network and need to make this server become like a ntp relay from the main server. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

3 questions about NTP server

Folks; I'm setting up a new NTP server to sync time for our network. I have one Linux server that needs to point to that NTP server My 3 questions are: 1. I added the IP address for the NTP server to the "/etc/hosts" file on the Linux server. Is that all i need to do to make the Linux server... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ntp server setup

Not connected to the internet so I would like to set up 1 unix machine to be the ntp server and have it sync time to about 30 other machines that are all on an private 10net network?:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parrisjr
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

NTP server

Hi All.... I need to configure NTP server in my network, which is heterogeneous, containing Linux as well as windows systems. I'm planning to configure it on RHEL 5.0. What are the prerequisites for this and do I need to register this server? Can anyone give me as many information as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amol21
1 Replies

6. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NTP server can not be reached

hello Guys, I have an NTP problem on my SUN N240 server. External NTP server is being used for this box and when i run 'ntpq -p' i get connection refused message; Code: ntpq -p ntpq: read: Connection refused Here this is the ntp.conf file: Code: cat /etc/ntp.conf # BEGIN NTP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dyavuzy1
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Setting up NTP HP-UX clients from solaris NTP server

Hi I wonder if its possible to setup NTP clients running HP-UX o.s. from a solaris 10 NTP server? FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Ntp client sync with local over ntp server

Hi, I have two ntp servers in my cluster and I want all the nodes in my cluster to sync with either of the ntp servers or just one. Unfortunately it keep rotating the sync, between my ntp server 1, ntp server 2 and local. Is there anyway I can change the sync to avoid local? # ntpq -p ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies

10. Linux

What is the best OS for NTP server?

Hello I need to create NTP server for all my devices, What is the best OS for NTP Server? "CentOS, Redhat, Ubuntu " I tried before Ubuntu but some of device not detect the server Need your recommendation Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moudmm
2 Replies
NTP(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    NTP(8)

NAME
ntp - query an ntp clock SYNOPSIS
ntp [-v] [-s] [-f] hosts... DESCRIPTION
ntp sends an ntp packet to the ntp daemon running on each of the given hosts. A daemon fills in fields of the ntp packet as per RFC-???? and sends the packet back. ntp then formats and prints the result on the standard output. The default output shows the delay, offset, and date in ctime() format. Options can reset the time of the local system clock. OPTIONS
-v Verbose output, showing the full contents of received ntp packets, plus caluclated offset, displacement, etc. -s Set system time-of-day clock. Will only happen if time offset is less than compiled-in constant WAYTOBIG (currently 1000 seconds). Will not happen if remote host is unsynchronized. -f Force setting system clock regardless of offset. Must be used with -s option. Still will not reset clock if remote system is unsynchronized. NTP RESULTS
The default output for each host looks like this: 128.8.10.1: delay:1.845207 offset:-0.358460 Mon Mar 20 08:05:44 1989 The verbose output for each host looks like this: Packet from: [128.8.10.1] Leap 0, version 1, mode Server, poll 6, precision -10 stratum 1 (WWVB) Synch Distance is 0000.1999 0.099991 Synch Dispersion is 0000.0000 0.000000 Reference Timestamp is a7bea6c3.88b40000 Tue Mar 7 14:06:43 1989 Originate Timestamp is a7bea6d7.d7e6e652 Tue Mar 7 14:07:03 1989 Receive Timestamp is a7bea6d7.cf1a0000 Tue Mar 7 14:07:03 1989 Transmit Timestamp is a7bea6d8.0ccc0000 Tue Mar 7 14:07:04 1989 Input Timestamp is a7bea6d8.1a77e5ea Tue Mar 7 14:07:04 1989 umd1: delay:0.019028 offset:-0.043890 Tue Mar 7 14:07:04 1989 The various fields are interpreted as follows: Packet from: [address] The address that this ntp packet was received from. Leap indicator: n The leap second indicator. Non-zero if there is to be a leap second added or subtracted at the new year. Status: n Stratum: n (source) The stratum of the clock in the NTP hierarchy, along with the source of the clock, either the name of a reference standard (such as WWVB or GOES) or the Internet address of the clock that this clock is derived from. Poll = n The desired poll rate of the peer. Precision = exponent (dec) The claimed precision of the clock, in seconds. Synchronizing Dist is ??? Synchronizing Dispersion is ??? The next five timestamps are given as NTP fixed-point values, in both hexadecimal and ctime(3). These are set either by this ntp process, or by the server we are quering. Reference Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string The last time the server clock was adjusted. (remote time) Originate Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string When the ntp request was transmitted by us to the server. (local time) Receive Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string When the ntp request was received at the server. (remote time) Transmit Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string When the ntp response was transmitted by the server. (remote time) Input Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string When the ntp response was received by us. (local time) hostname: delay:time offset:time The summary of the results of the query, giving the hostname of the responding clock (from the command line), the round-trip delay, and the offset between the two clocks (assuming symmetric round-trip times). BUGS
Using ntp with the current host will show inaccurate results. Probably a few others. Report bugs to Louis A. Mamokos (louie@trantor.umd.edu). SEE ALSO
RFC-???? Network Time Protocol(1), Dave Mills and ... ntpd(8), ntpdc(8) 30 July 1988 NTP(8)