Sponsored Content
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements UNIX and Linux RSS News Rob Weir Exposes an Anti-ODF Whisper Campaign - Updated Post 302324318 by Linux Bot on Wednesday 10th of June 2009 12:30:03 PM
Old 06-10-2009
Rob Weir Exposes an Anti-ODF Whisper Campaign - Updated

Alex Brown, the convenor of the OOXML BRM, has been editing Wikipedia's article on ODF. That strikes me odd, like finding out Steve Jobs had been editing the Microsoft Zune page. Some things are simply inappropriate. It puzzles me why Wikipedia allows it, frankly.
If you read the talk page on ODF, you'll see that there are others there trying mightily to spin the article on ODF more negatively than is factual. And such rudeness! Plenty of smears against Groklaw too, I couldn't help but notice. It does seem to me that there is a marked increase in what I view as a concerted submarine marketing effort. Some of it is subtle. Most of it is not. A fair measure of it is mean-spirited. Some of it is lies, pure and simple.
In the good old days, dead people supported Microsoft, if you remember that funny headline about a pro-Microsoft astroturfing campaign, but at least it wasn't a smear campaign, just pro-Microsoft. Nowadays, I think I would have to rewrite the headline to read, "Mean People Support Microsoft." Or worse. You see, Groklaw has been visited recently by several OOXML types, including Alex Brown, Doug Mahue of Microsoft, and Rick Jelliffe, all singing pretty much the same songs, posting on our ODF articles, so I got to watch it close up. I puzzled over it, because they seemed so deliberately rude. Why come here just to be offensive? So I'd remind them that we have a comments policy here, including no ad hominem attacks on anyone. And they would continue on. It was so odd. The last one went away when I told him that if he wished to make a permanent record of how horribly Microsoft supporters conduct themselves, he could post to his heart's content.
It turns out it's not just here, and there is evidently a point to it. Wikipedia is apparently the epicenter. And what is being posted there is reportedly being used in an anti-ODF FUD campaign by guess who.

More...

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

The Martian by Andy Weir - Who Read It? What Did You Think?

Who has read "The Martian by Andy Weir" ?? What did you think? How did you like it? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
3 Replies

2. AIX

[Opinion] A Public Answer To Rob McNelly

Why Do We Need Root on the HMC? In this article in IBMSystems Magazine Rob McNelly asked the question Why Don't We Have Root on the HMC? and he goes on to justify why we indeed shouldn't have root - kinda. I think his arguments are not as valid as he perhaps thinks they are and what's more... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
11 Replies
HTTP::Cookies::Microsoft(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       HTTP::Cookies::Microsoft(3)

NAME
HTTP::Cookies::Microsoft - access to Microsoft cookies files SYNOPSIS
use LWP; use HTTP::Cookies::Microsoft; use Win32::TieRegistry(Delimiter => "/"); my $cookies_dir = $Registry-> {"CUser/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Cookies"}; $cookie_jar = HTTP::Cookies::Microsoft->new( file => "$cookies_dir\index.dat", 'delayload' => 1, ); my $browser = LWP::UserAgent->new; $browser->cookie_jar( $cookie_jar ); DESCRIPTION
This is a subclass of "HTTP::Cookies" which loads Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x and 6.x for Windows (MSIE) cookie files. See the documentation for HTTP::Cookies. METHODS
The following methods are provided: $cookie_jar = HTTP::Cookies::Microsoft->new; The constructor takes hash style parameters. In addition to the regular HTTP::Cookies parameters, HTTP::Cookies::Microsoft recognizes the following: delayload: delay loading of cookie data until a request is actually made. This results in faster runtime unless you use most of the cookies since only the domain's cookie data is loaded on demand. CAVEATS
Please note that the code DOESN'T support saving to the MSIE cookie file format. AUTHOR
Johnny Lee <typo_pl@hotmail.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2002 Johnny Lee This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-02-15 HTTP::Cookies::Microsoft(3)