Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between 'jobs' and 'process' Post 302324285 by adc22 on Wednesday 10th of June 2009 11:39:10 AM
Old 06-10-2009
Question Difference between 'jobs' and 'process'

Hi Everyone,

Can you kindly explain me the terms 'jobs' and 'process' and the difference between them? How the commands 'ps' and 'lsof' are related to them?
Thanking you in anticipation

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between task and process

Hi, what is the difference between a task and a process. what is the difference between multitasking , multiprogrammnig and multiprocessing? Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramyar
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

background jobs exit status and limit the number of jobs to run

i need to execute 5 jobs at a time in background and need to get the exit status of all the jobs i wrote small script below , i'm not sure this is right way to do it.any ideas please help. $cat run_job.ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh #################################### typeset -u SCHEMA_NAME=$1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing different jobs as a batch process

Hi All, I want to process consecutive jobs in a sequence but when I execute 1 job ,the control does not return to the command prompt to continue with the next job. Can anyone help me here? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Taranjeet Singh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Waiting for an arbitrary background process (limiting number of jobs running)

Hi, I'm trying to write a script to decompress a directory full of files. The decompression commands can run in the background, so that many can run at once. But I want to limit the number running at any one time, so that I don't overload the machine. Something like this: n=0 for i in *.gz... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.f.moore
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

waiting on jobs in bash, allowing limited parallel jobs at one time, and then for all to finish

Hello, I am running GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu). I have a specific question pertaining to waiting on jobs run in sub-shells, based on the max number of parallel processes I want to allow, and then wait... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srao
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate the process of running jobs on several directories consecutively

Hi, I have about 10 directories in which I run the same code. But this code is only run in a directory when the computation in the previous directory was successful (explained below). My directories are named as : VF_50, VF_100, VF_150, VF_200............. As you can see the number after _... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
6 Replies

8. AIX

Difference between services and process

Hi, I want to know the Difference between services and process... is services having many processes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to run multiple jobs and it's dependent jobs

I have multiple jobs and each job dependent on other job. Each Job generates a log and If job completed successfully log file end's with JOB ENDED SUCCESSFULLY message and if it failed then it will end with JOB ENDED with FAILURE. I need an help how to start. Attaching the JOB dependency... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: santoshkumarkal
3 Replies
queuedefs(4)							   File Formats 						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)