Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk to find space and tab.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk to find space and tab. Post 302321909 by pinnacle on Tuesday 2nd of June 2009 10:54:04 AM
Old 06-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by reborg
Yes, but you also have a '1' there, so you are printing every line. You need to delete that too, any you do nothing in the for loop/if statement.

Just check the field number in the for lop and print out the lines you want.
I removed 1 and now i want to check for leading and trailing space or tab on each field.
The below code returns nothing.
Code:
nawk -F"|" '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) {if ($i ~ "^[ \t]+" || $i ~ "[ \t]+$")}}' file

Help appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

replace tab with space

How do I replace a tab with a space in scripts using sed/awk ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avnerht
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a <tab> space?

I've tried this: echo "${bold}User${norm} : u"\t"${bold}All Users ${norm} : a\t" and i got this output: Specific User : u\tAll User: a\t (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in tab space !

i have a commad that display the total each directory size in KB.Below the commad and o/p: ls -ltr | grep ^d | awk '{print $9}' | xargs du -sk output: what i want is the proper tab space b/w value and dir.? how to get that. thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delimiter: Tab or Space?

Hello, Is there a direct command to check if the delimiter in your file is a tab or a space? And how can they be converted from one to another. Thanks, G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk with Find and play using Space

Hi All, Sample records 2157 91128 -rw-r----- 1 arun1 staff 93315072 Aug 23 06:44 /home/arun/my own/file_name.txt 2157 91128 -rw-r----- 1 arun1 staff 93315072 Aug 23 06:44 /home/arun/myown/file name2.txt i want to print only user name, user group, size, date time stamp, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to keep tab from being converted to space

Hi, I want to read lines from a file, and I'm using two methods 1 use while read line do done<filename 2 use line=`sed -n '3p' filename` however, in both of them, I notice that the tab between fields are automatically converted to space because I want to use awk over the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: esolvepolito
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing only the first space to a tab in a space delimited text file

Hi, I have a space delimited text file but I only want to change the first space to a tab and keep the rest of the spaces intact. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove tab space if any in a variable?

I have a variable sumOfJEOutputFile which is the output file of an SQL command which contains the output of that SQL. The output looks like below: ----------- 58 I am using following code to manipulate the output: (sed 1,2d $sumOfJEOutputFile > $newTemp1 | sed '$d' $newTemp1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output is space delimeted not tab delimeted

In the below awk the output is space delimited, but it should be tab delimited. Did I not add the correct -F and OFS? Thank you :). The input file are rather large so I did not include them, but they are tab-delimeted files as well. awk awk -F'\t' -v OFS='\t' 'FNR==1 { next } > ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace space by tAB

My file looks like 3 33 210.01.10.0 2.1 1211 560 26 45 1298 98763451112 15412323499 INPUT OK 3 233 40.01.10.0 2.1 1451 780 54 99 1876 78787878784 15423210199 CANCEL OK Aim is to replace the spaces in each line by tab Used: sed -e 's/ */\t/g' But I get output like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa@@
3 Replies
XmTabListRemoveTabs(library call)										 XmTabListRemoveTabs(library call)

NAME
XmTabListRemoveTabs -- A convenience function that removes noncontiguous tabs SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> XmTabList XmTabListRemoveTabs( XmTabList oldlist, Cardinal *position_list, Cardinal position_count); DESCRIPTION
XmTabListRemoveTabs removes noncontiguous tabs from a tab list. The function creates a new tab list by copying the contents of oldlist and removing all tabs whose corresponding positions appear in the position_list array. A warning message is displayed if a specified position is invalid; for example, if the value is a number greater than the number of tabs in the tab list. tablist Specifies the tab list. The function deallocates oldlist and the tabs it contains after extracting the required information. position_list Specifies an array of the tab positions to be removed. The position of the first tab in the list is 0 (zero), the position of the second tab is 1, and so on. position_count Specifies the number of elements in the position_list. RETURN
If oldlist or position_list is NULL, or position_count is 0 (zero), returns oldlist. Otherwise, this function returns the new tab list. The function allocates space to hold the returned tab list. The application is responsible for managing the allocated space. The applica- tion can recover the allocated space by calling XmTabListFree. RELATED
XmTabList(3) and XmTabListFree(3). XmTabListRemoveTabs(library call)