Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk to find space and tab.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk to find space and tab. Post 302321909 by pinnacle on Tuesday 2nd of June 2009 10:54:04 AM
Old 06-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by reborg
Yes, but you also have a '1' there, so you are printing every line. You need to delete that too, any you do nothing in the for loop/if statement.

Just check the field number in the for lop and print out the lines you want.
I removed 1 and now i want to check for leading and trailing space or tab on each field.
The below code returns nothing.
Code:
nawk -F"|" '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) {if ($i ~ "^[ \t]+" || $i ~ "[ \t]+$")}}' file

Help appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

replace tab with space

How do I replace a tab with a space in scripts using sed/awk ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avnerht
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a <tab> space?

I've tried this: echo "${bold}User${norm} : u"\t"${bold}All Users ${norm} : a\t" and i got this output: Specific User : u\tAll User: a\t (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in tab space !

i have a commad that display the total each directory size in KB.Below the commad and o/p: ls -ltr | grep ^d | awk '{print $9}' | xargs du -sk output: what i want is the proper tab space b/w value and dir.? how to get that. thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delimiter: Tab or Space?

Hello, Is there a direct command to check if the delimiter in your file is a tab or a space? And how can they be converted from one to another. Thanks, G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk with Find and play using Space

Hi All, Sample records 2157 91128 -rw-r----- 1 arun1 staff 93315072 Aug 23 06:44 /home/arun/my own/file_name.txt 2157 91128 -rw-r----- 1 arun1 staff 93315072 Aug 23 06:44 /home/arun/myown/file name2.txt i want to print only user name, user group, size, date time stamp, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to keep tab from being converted to space

Hi, I want to read lines from a file, and I'm using two methods 1 use while read line do done<filename 2 use line=`sed -n '3p' filename` however, in both of them, I notice that the tab between fields are automatically converted to space because I want to use awk over the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: esolvepolito
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing only the first space to a tab in a space delimited text file

Hi, I have a space delimited text file but I only want to change the first space to a tab and keep the rest of the spaces intact. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove tab space if any in a variable?

I have a variable sumOfJEOutputFile which is the output file of an SQL command which contains the output of that SQL. The output looks like below: ----------- 58 I am using following code to manipulate the output: (sed 1,2d $sumOfJEOutputFile > $newTemp1 | sed '$d' $newTemp1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output is space delimeted not tab delimeted

In the below awk the output is space delimited, but it should be tab delimited. Did I not add the correct -F and OFS? Thank you :). The input file are rather large so I did not include them, but they are tab-delimeted files as well. awk awk -F'\t' -v OFS='\t' 'FNR==1 { next } > ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace space by tAB

My file looks like 3 33 210.01.10.0 2.1 1211 560 26 45 1298 98763451112 15412323499 INPUT OK 3 233 40.01.10.0 2.1 1451 780 54 99 1876 78787878784 15423210199 CANCEL OK Aim is to replace the spaces in each line by tab Used: sed -e 's/ */\t/g' But I get output like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa@@
3 Replies
GENCAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 GENCAT(1)

NAME
gencat -- generates a Native Language Support (NLS) message catalog file SYNOPSIS
gencat catfile [msgfile|- ...] DESCRIPTION
The gencat utility generates a formatted message catalog catfile from stdin or one or more message source text files msgfile. The file catfile is created if it does not already exist. If catfile does exist, its messages are included in the new catfile. The new message text defined in msgfile replaces the old message text currently in catfile when the set and message numbers match. The generated message catalog contains message strings that will be retrieved using the catgets(3) library call. These messages are dynami- cally loaded by the Native Language Support (NLS) library at run time. Error messages are grouped into sets, and a program can load a par- ticular set depending on which type, or language, of messages is desired. Message Text Source File Format The message text source files are text files in the format described below. Note that the fields of a message text source line are separated by space or tab characters. $set n comment Determines the set identifier to be used for all subsequent messages until the next $set or end-of-file. The n is the set identifier which is defined as a number in the range [1, NL_SETMAX]. Set identifiers within a single source file need not be contiguous. Any string following the set identifier is treated as a comment. If no $set directive is specified in a message text source file, all mes- sages will be located in the default message set NL_SETD. $delset n comment Removes message set n from the catalog. The n is a set identifier in the range [1, NL_SETMAX]. If a message set was created earlier in the current file, or in a file previously read by the gencat command, this directive will remove it. Any string following the set iden- tifier is treated as a comment. $ comment A line beginning with $ followed by a space or tab character is treated as a comment. m message-text A message line consists of a message identifier m in the range [1, NL_MSGMAX] and the message-text. The message-text is read until the end of the line or a quote character (if one is specified). The message-text is stored in the message catalog with the set identifier specified by the last $set directive, and the message identifier m. If the message-text is empty and there is a space or tab character following the message identifier, an empty string is stored in the message catalog. If no message-text is provided, and if there is no space or tab character following the message identifier, the message with the message identifier m in the current set is removed from the catalog. Message identifiers need not be contiguous within a single set. The length of message-text must be in the range [0, NL_TEXTMAX]. $quote c Sets an optional quote character to be used around the message-text. The quote character c may be any character other than white space. If this is specified, then messages must begin and end with the quote character. This is useful when messages must contain leading white space. By default no quote character is used. If an empty $quote directive is specified, then the current quote character is unset. Empty lines and leading blanks in a message text source file are ignored. Any line beginning with any character other than those described above is ignored as a syntax error. Text message strings may contain any characters and the following special characters and escape sequences. Description Symbol Sequence newline NL(LF) horizontal tab HT vertical tab VT v backspace BS  carriage return CR form feed FF f backslash \ bit pattern ddd ddd A bit pattern, ddd, consists of a backslash followed by one, two, or three octal digits representing the value of the character. The cur- rent quote character, if defined, may be escaped with a backslash to generate the quote character. Any character following the backslash ('') other than those specified is ignored. A backslash at the end of the line continues the message onto the next line. The following two lines are an example of such a message: 1 This message continues on the next line Producing the following message: 1 This message continues on the next line EXIT STATUS
The gencat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
catclose(3), catgets(3), catopen(3), nls(7) AUTHORS
The Native Language Support (NLS) message catalog facility was contributed by J.T. Conklin <jtc@NetBSD.org>. This page was originally writ- ten by Kee Hinckley <nazgul@somewhere.com>. BSD
December 29, 2011 BSD