Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk to find space and tab.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk to find space and tab. Post 302321615 by pinnacle on Monday 1st of June 2009 05:10:37 PM
Old 06-01-2009
Awk to find space and tab.

Wants to print line when there exist leading or trailing space or tab in fields 2,3 and 5

The below code prints all lines in file even if they dont have leading and trailing space or tab.
Code:
nawk -F"|" '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) {if ($i ~ "^[ \t]*" || $i ~ "[ \t]*$")}}1' file

file
Quote:
newyork|times square| centralpark|abc|def |t
washington| capitol | museum |abc|def |t
texas|dallas|san antonio|abc|def|t
Ouput required:
Quote:
newyork|times square| centralpark|abc|def |t
washington| capitol | museum |abc|def |t
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

replace tab with space

How do I replace a tab with a space in scripts using sed/awk ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avnerht
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a <tab> space?

I've tried this: echo "${bold}User${norm} : u"\t"${bold}All Users ${norm} : a\t" and i got this output: Specific User : u\tAll User: a\t (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in tab space !

i have a commad that display the total each directory size in KB.Below the commad and o/p: ls -ltr | grep ^d | awk '{print $9}' | xargs du -sk output: what i want is the proper tab space b/w value and dir.? how to get that. thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delimiter: Tab or Space?

Hello, Is there a direct command to check if the delimiter in your file is a tab or a space? And how can they be converted from one to another. Thanks, G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk with Find and play using Space

Hi All, Sample records 2157 91128 -rw-r----- 1 arun1 staff 93315072 Aug 23 06:44 /home/arun/my own/file_name.txt 2157 91128 -rw-r----- 1 arun1 staff 93315072 Aug 23 06:44 /home/arun/myown/file name2.txt i want to print only user name, user group, size, date time stamp, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to keep tab from being converted to space

Hi, I want to read lines from a file, and I'm using two methods 1 use while read line do done<filename 2 use line=`sed -n '3p' filename` however, in both of them, I notice that the tab between fields are automatically converted to space because I want to use awk over the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: esolvepolito
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing only the first space to a tab in a space delimited text file

Hi, I have a space delimited text file but I only want to change the first space to a tab and keep the rest of the spaces intact. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove tab space if any in a variable?

I have a variable sumOfJEOutputFile which is the output file of an SQL command which contains the output of that SQL. The output looks like below: ----------- 58 I am using following code to manipulate the output: (sed 1,2d $sumOfJEOutputFile > $newTemp1 | sed '$d' $newTemp1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output is space delimeted not tab delimeted

In the below awk the output is space delimited, but it should be tab delimited. Did I not add the correct -F and OFS? Thank you :). The input file are rather large so I did not include them, but they are tab-delimeted files as well. awk awk -F'\t' -v OFS='\t' 'FNR==1 { next } > ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace space by tAB

My file looks like 3 33 210.01.10.0 2.1 1211 560 26 45 1298 98763451112 15412323499 INPUT OK 3 233 40.01.10.0 2.1 1451 780 54 99 1876 78787878784 15423210199 CANCEL OK Aim is to replace the spaces in each line by tab Used: sed -e 's/ */\t/g' But I get output like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa@@
3 Replies
SDIFF(1)							   User Commands							  SDIFF(1)

NAME
sdiff - side-by-side merge of file differences SYNOPSIS
sdiff [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
Side-by-side merge of differences between FILE1 and FILE2. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -o, --output=FILE operate interactively, sending output to FILE -i, --ignore-case consider upper- and lower-case to be the same -E, --ignore-tab-expansion ignore changes due to tab expansion -Z, --ignore-trailing-space ignore white space at line end -b, --ignore-space-change ignore changes in the amount of white space -W, --ignore-all-space ignore all white space -B, --ignore-blank-lines ignore changes whose lines are all blank -I, --ignore-matching-lines=RE ignore changes all whose lines match RE --strip-trailing-cr strip trailing carriage return on input -a, --text treat all files as text -w, --width=NUM output at most NUM (default 130) print columns -l, --left-column output only the left column of common lines -s, --suppress-common-lines do not output common lines -t, --expand-tabs expand tabs to spaces in output --tabsize=NUM tab stops at every NUM (default 8) print columns -d, --minimal try hard to find a smaller set of changes -H, --speed-large-files assume large files, many scattered small changes --diff-program=PROGRAM use PROGRAM to compare files --help display this help and exit -v, --version output version information and exit If a FILE is '-', read standard input. Exit status is 0 if inputs are the same, 1 if different, 2 if trouble. AUTHOR
Written by Thomas Lord. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to: bug-diffutils@gnu.org GNU diffutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/diffutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), diff3(1) The full documentation for sdiff is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and sdiff programs are properly installed at your site, the command info sdiff should give you access to the complete manual. diffutils 3.6 May 2017 SDIFF(1)