Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Pattern to replace ^M and ^Y in a 4.2 AIX text file Post 302318406 by Browser_ice on Thursday 21st of May 2009 12:47:17 PM
Old 05-21-2009
I tried the combinations below which do not change anything or are not recognized

\n
\^m
\^Y
Ctrl-V + Ctrl-M
Ctrl-V + Ctrl-Y => nothing is typed in the console, I have to do a Ctrl-C to get out
\x0D$
\xC1$
[^M^Y]
[^M]
[^Y]
\c[m => not recognized

sed 's/.$//' does remove the ^M at the end of each line but then it is still a multi-line format. Its like removing the last character of each line but keeping the end-of-line linefeed.

[added comments]
Is there a way to find out in VI what is the ascii value of the character under the cursor ?
It would help me identify the right decimal value to use in a replacement string.

[added comments]
I found out that ^M is actually \015. So I can remove it with tr -d '\015'
But I still haven't found out what ^Y is.

Last edited by Browser_ice; 05-21-2009 at 03:34 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern replace inside text file using sed

Hi, I have a situation where I want to replace some occurrences of ".jsp" into ".html" inside a text file. For Example: If a pattern found like <a href="http://www.mysite.com/mypage.jsp"> it should be retained. But if a pattern found like <a href="../mypage.jsp"> it should be changed to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meharo
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Text Based On Pattern

Hi I'm trying to replace text in a file based upon a pattern. The pattern I'm looking for is: <styleURL>#style0002</styleURL> <name>#######6105#######</name>The # are seven alphanumeric characters before and after 6105. I need it to replace that with this recursively: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple text file from a single text file on AIX

Hi I need to create multiple text files from onc text file on AIX. The data of text files is as below: ********************************************** ********************************************** DBVERIFY: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue Nov 10 13:45:42 2009 Copyright (c) 1982,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find pattern and replace the text before it

i am editing a big log file with the following pattern: Date: xxxx Updated: name Some log file text here Date: eee Updated: ny Some log file text here Basically i want to remove all the text in a line before the "Updated" pattern. I sill want to print the other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balan1983a
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command to replace with pattern except for text and closing parentheses

Can someone help me with a sed command: There will be multiple occurences in a file that look like this: MyFunction(12c34r5) and I need to replace that with just the 12c34r5 for every occurrence. The text between the parentheses will be different on each occurrence, so I can't search for that.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: missb
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help, Find a pattern, replace it with same text minus leading 0

HI Folks, I'm looking for a solution for this issue. I want to find the Pattern 0/ and replace it with /. I'm just removing the leading zero. I can find the Pattern but it always puts literal value as a replacement. What am I missing?? sed -e s/0\//\//g File1 > File2 edit by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirHenry1
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace a text if the line contains a pattern

My text file looks like below . . . abcdefghi jklmnop $Bad_ptrq_GTS=rcrd_ip.txt $Bad_abcd_REJ=rcrd_op.txt ghijklm $Bad_abcd_TYHS=rcrd_op.txt abcgd abcdefghi jklmnop $Bad_ptrq_GTS=rcrd_ip.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern replace from a text file using sed

I have a sample text format as given below <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645333076543" From="460350337461111" Created="2011-03-16T17:05:37+0000" use_count="123">This is the first text</Text> <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645317023456" From="1626711840902323"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab text after pattern and replace

i have a file which contains data seperated by comma. i want to replace text after 3rd occurrence of a comma. the input file looks like this abcdef,11/02/2015 11:55:47,1001,1234567812345678,12364,,abc abcdefg,11/02/2015 11:55:47,01,1234567812345678,123,,abc abcdefhih,11/02/2015... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpk_newbie
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace pattern in text

hi unix expert is there any command in linux to repace a pattern in the text to another pattern? many thanks samad (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
2 Replies
FvwmConsole(1)							   Fvwm Modules 						    FvwmConsole(1)

NAME
FvwmConsole - an fvwm command input interface SYNOPSIS
Module FvwmConsole [options] FvwmConsole can only be invoked by fvwm. Command line invocation of the FvwmConsole module will not work. DESCRIPTION
FvwmConsole allows the user to type fvwm configuration commands interactively, and have them executed immediately. This tool is particu- larly useful for testing new configuration ideas, or for implementing temporary changes to your environment. INVOCATION
FvwmConsole must be spawned as a module by fvwm. FvwmConsole takes all xterm(1) options. FvwmConsole can be invoked by inserting the line 'Module FvwmConsole' in the .fvwm2rc file. This can be placed on a line by itself, if FvwmConsole is to be spawned during fvwm's initialization, or can be bound to a menu or mouse button or keystroke to invoke it later. CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
FvwmConsole uses xterm(1). All resources set for xterm are inherited unless overridden by command line options. Module FvwmConsole -g 40x10 -fg black -bg green3 A different terminal emulator can be specified with the -terminal option. However, only terminal programs that understand the options -name, -title and -e can be used. Module FvwmConsole -terminal rxvt Previous versions of FvwmConsole supported a -e option to choose a different front-end. Although this option is still provided for back- wards compatibility its use is discouraged unless you know exactly what you are doing. Module FvwmConsole -e FvwmConsoleC.pl (see FvwmConsoleC.pl(1)). Also X resources can be set in your ~/.Xdefaults file: FvwmConsole*VT100*geometry: 40x4 FvwmConsole*font: 7x14 COMMAND EDITING
There are a few options. If the GNU readline library is available, it can be used. If Perl5 is installed, FvwmConsoleC.pl can be used as a command editor. This can be accomplished by either copying FvwmConsoleC.pl to fvwmlib directory as FvwmConsoleC or invoking FvwmConsole with -e option. For example: Module FvwmConsole -e FvwmConsoleC.pl If neither one is installed, a simple input reading function which doesn't have editing capabilities is used. GNU readline and FvwmConsoleC.pl have some frequent used commands in common as default. These commands are similar to emacs. For more details, refer GNU readline man and info pages, and FvwmConsoleC.pl man page. Ctrl-A - beginning of line Ctrl-B - previous char Ctrl-D - delete char Ctrl-E - end of line Ctrl-F - next char Ctrl-H - backspace Ctrl-K - erase to the end of line Ctrl-N - next line Ctrl-P - previous line Ctrl-R - search reverse Ctrl-U - delete line Meta-B - previous word Meta-F - next word Esc < - beginning of history Esc > - end of history EXITING
FvwmConsole can be stopped by entering the EOF character (usually CTRL-D). Note! Do not use the "quit" command, as this is an fvwm builtin: typing "quit" at the FvwmConsole command line will cause fvwm to exit. COPYRIGHTS
Copyright 1996, Toshi Isogai. No guarantees or warranties are provided. Use this program at your own risk. Permission to use this program for any purpose is given, as long as the copyright is kept intact. SEE ALSO
xterm(1), FvwmConsoleC.pl(1), GNU Readline library AUTHOR
Toshi Isogai 3rd Berkeley Distribution 7 May 208 (2.5.26) FvwmConsole(1)