Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers vi Search for text, Replace with <CR> or control character. Post 302318010 by omega949 on Wednesday 20th of May 2009 01:44:43 PM
Old 05-20-2009
vi Search for text, Replace with <CR> or control character.

Greetings,

Using vi, how can I change the following text:
-I/myviews/nexus_7400rel/vobs/nexus/platforms/97400/include -I/myviews/nexus_7400rel/vobs/nexus/modules/i2c/7400/include -I/myviews/nexus_7400rel/vobs/nexus/modules/surface/7400/include

Into this:
/myviews/nexus_7400rel/vobs/nexus/platforms/97400/include
/myviews/nexus_7400rel/vobs/nexus/modules/i2c/7400/include
/myviews/nexus_7400rel/vobs/nexus/modules/surface/7400/include

The first text is a contiguous string with spaces and "-I" separating the lines of include paths (yes, this is from a "C" makefile output).

I want to search for all the occurances of " -I", and replace with a carriage return (or linefeed) using vi. This is for vi on a Linux system.

The search portion is easy: :g/ -I/s// (what goes here?)/g

It's the "what goes here?" part that I need help with.

Any answers or alternative solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Omega949

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and replace a specific text in text file?

I have a text file with following content (3 lines) filename : output.txt first line:12/12/2008 second line:12/12/2008 third line:Y I would like to know how we can replace 'Y' with 'N' in the 3rd line keeping 1st and 2nd lines same as what it was before. I tried using cat output.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosham
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to search and replace based on character count

Hi, I wanted to add a newline character after every 100 characters in a file using a awk or shell without reading each line of the file. I want to run a command on the complete file. This does based on a string but i want to add a new line after every 100 characters ir-respective of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace any control character in the string

Need to replace any control character in the string in perl ---------- Post updated at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:50 PM ---------- Any help !!! Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace text

Hello, I am trying to search and replace but I don't know how to do it. My simple knowlegde in search and replace using sed is not helping me at all. File: its a cause value #22: dfg ggg Cause value #1: aasfa fasdf asfa value #22: affg gggg Basically i want to replace the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balan1983a
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex:search/replace but not for escaped character

Hi Input: - -- --- ---- aa-bb-cc aa--bb--cc aa---bb---cc aa----bb----cc Output: . - -. -- aa.bb.cc (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chitech
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Control M (^M) character with new line

Hi All, We are getting an external file in abc.csv format. When opened in excel spread sheet, it is opening alright. But when opened in notepad, I see the contents in a single line. Ftp'd the file in binary mode to AIX UNIX host. When opened, I see Control M (^M) characters in place of New Line... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a particular word and replace the first character

Hi Unix gurus, I've a dna sequence in a file format known as fasta format (sequence header starts with > and ignored), an example shown below: >sequence_1 CGTATTCTCCGAATACC ATACG >sequence_2 CAGATTTTCAAATACCCCC In a file like this I want to do the following three search and replace. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a character and replace it with multiple lines

This is for AIX 6.1, I've a flat file and the format is like this DECLARE some statements; BEGIN some statements; END; I've to search BEGIN and replace it with the following 4 lines BEGIN For x in 1..1 LOOP BEGIN Similarly I've to search END and replace it with the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mukul Sharma
7 Replies

10. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies
SG_LUNS(8)							     SG3_UTILS								SG_LUNS(8)

NAME
sg_luns - send the SCSI REPORT LUNS command SYNOPSIS
sg_luns [--decode] [--help] [--hex] [--maxlen=LEN] [--quiet] [--raw] [--select=SR] [--verbose] [--version] DEVICE DESCRIPTION
Send the SCSI REPORT LUNS command to the DEVICE and outputs the response. In the SPC-3 SCSI standard support for this command is mandatory. OPTIONS
Arguments to long options are mandatory for short options as well. -d, --decode decode logical unit numbers into their hierarchical parts. Interprets luns as described in SAM-3 when the HiSup bit is set in a standard INQUIRY's response. -h, --help output the usage message then exit. -H, --hex output response to this command in ASCII hex. -m, --maxlen=LEN where LEN is the (maximum) response length in bytes. It is placed in the cdb's "allocation length" field. If not given (or LEN is zero) then 65536 is used. The maximum value of LEN is 65536. -q, --quiet output ASCII hex rendering of each report lun, one per line. -r, --raw output response in binary (to stdout). -s, --select=SR this option sets the 'select report' field (SR) in the SCSI REPORT LUNS command. The default value is 0. When 0 is given (or this option is not specified) then the DEVICE should yield a list of luns addressable via this "I_T nexus" that use the following lun addressing methods: logical unit addressing, peripheral device addressing and flat space addressing. When 1 is given the DEVICE should yield a list of only "well known" logical units addressable via this "I_T" nexus. When 2 is given the DEVICE should yield all luns addressable via this "I_T" nexus. To simplify, for the I_T nexus associated with the DEVICE, the meanings of the SR values are: 0 : all luns excluding well known logical units 1 : well known logical units 2 : all luns Values greater than 2 are reserved (at SPC-4 (rev 8)). -v, --verbose increase the level of verbosity, (i.e. debug output). -V, --version print the version string and then exit. EXIT STATUS
The exit status of sg_luns is 0 when it is successful. Otherwise see the sg3_utils(8) man page. AUTHORS
Written by Douglas Gilbert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <dgilbert at interlog dot com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004-2008 Douglas Gilbert This software is distributed under a FreeBSD license. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. SEE ALSO
sg_inq(8) sg3_utils-1.26 April 2008 SG_LUNS(8)