Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Exclamation point in Bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Exclamation point in Bash Post 302317585 by aigles on Tuesday 19th of May 2009 11:03:54 AM
Old 05-19-2009
Escape the !
On my pC whith Cygwin :
Code:
$ egrep -o " [a-zA-Z'-]+[,:.!';?]*$" file.txt > result.txt
bash: !': event not found

$ egrep -o " [a-zA-Z'-]+[,:.\!';?]*$" file.txt > result.txt
$

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Floating point numeric comparisions in bash

Hi, I am trying to compare 2 floating point numbers 0.8 and 0.15 using bash and get the largest of the two. Can anyone advise. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: floating point exception

Hi, guys, today, I have copied a simple script which runs correctly on a computer to another one. But, the latter informs me: Floating point exception! @ ./command_module a b c where command_module is the module compiled by myself. So, I have fixed it by following steps: 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mapleleaves
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point not recognized by printf in bash

Dear all, I have the following question. Let's say that I have the following script #!/bin/bash value=0.4987865 a=` printf "%6.2f" $value ` b=`echo $value + $value | bc -l` echo $a echo $b exit And the exit is: 0,00 .9975730 Thus, the problem is that the printf order does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash take word after specific point and till next space?

Hello, I have an output like Interface Chipset Driver wlan0 Intel 4965/5xxx iwlagn - and I want to take only the 'wlan0' string. This can be done by a="Interface Chipset Driver wlan0 Intel 4965/5xxx iwlagn - " b=${a:25:6} echo $bThe thing is that wlan0 can be something else, like eth0 or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Regex for floating point number

Hey again, I have a basic regex that tests if a number is a float. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

explanation point bash

What is the deal with explanation point in bash? I thought only dollar sign ($), the back-tick (`) and the backslash (\) were special in double quotes. Can someone please explain what is going on here? Why do I have to use single quotes or backslash the "!"? $ vlc "/media/Part... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Floating point math with bc

Hello Everyone, I am currently working on a script to calculate optimal tcp window size the formula that I am following is 2 x (bandwith speed /8 * Round Trip Time ) = x This is what I have so far #!/bin/bash echo "Enter connection speed" << Get the speed of the Connection from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmfmancini
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Floating point exception

Heyas I have a script (vhs - video handler script, using ffmpeg) to encode videos. It also encodes a dvd, but until now just non-copy-protected ones, so i've tried to add/implement a vobcopy wrapper to be used by my script. At first it looked quite fine, but when changing from the first VOB... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to print the smallest floating point number in a row that is not 0

Hello, I have often found bash to be difficult when it comes to floating point numbers. I have data with rows of tab delimited floating point numbers. I need to find the smallest number in each row that is not 0.0. Numbers can be negative and they do not come in any particular order for a given... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of floating point numbers in bash

I have the following code snippet in bash if ]; then minm=`echo "$diff" | bc` fi It works well for most of the cases. However lets say diff is -0.17 and minm is -0.0017. In such a case the comparison seems to fail. Is the correct way to compare a mixture of positive and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
12 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)