Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Pattern to replace ^M and ^Y in a 4.2 AIX text file Post 302316785 by Browser_ice on Saturday 16th of May 2009 03:14:41 PM
Old 05-16-2009
Question Pattern to replace ^M and ^Y in a 4.2 AIX text file

I have files on my AIX 4.2 client system where I need to do the following replacements below but have no clue how ? They are control characters (linefeed, chariage return, ...).

First, replace "^M^Y^M" with ^char_for_end_of_line
Then replace "^M" with " "
Trim all left spaces

In VI, my files contents look like this :

aaaa zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz^M
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz^M
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz^M
^M
^Y^M
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz^M
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz^M
^M
^Y^M
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz^M
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz^M
^M
^Y^M

I want it to be:
aaaa zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nb of records is unknown.
'zzzzzz' can have any combinations of "(", ")", "'", """, ",", "[", "]", ".", ";" (in other words anything with printable characters)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern replace inside text file using sed

Hi, I have a situation where I want to replace some occurrences of ".jsp" into ".html" inside a text file. For Example: If a pattern found like <a href="http://www.mysite.com/mypage.jsp"> it should be retained. But if a pattern found like <a href="../mypage.jsp"> it should be changed to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meharo
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Text Based On Pattern

Hi I'm trying to replace text in a file based upon a pattern. The pattern I'm looking for is: <styleURL>#style0002</styleURL> <name>#######6105#######</name>The # are seven alphanumeric characters before and after 6105. I need it to replace that with this recursively: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple text file from a single text file on AIX

Hi I need to create multiple text files from onc text file on AIX. The data of text files is as below: ********************************************** ********************************************** DBVERIFY: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue Nov 10 13:45:42 2009 Copyright (c) 1982,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find pattern and replace the text before it

i am editing a big log file with the following pattern: Date: xxxx Updated: name Some log file text here Date: eee Updated: ny Some log file text here Basically i want to remove all the text in a line before the "Updated" pattern. I sill want to print the other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balan1983a
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command to replace with pattern except for text and closing parentheses

Can someone help me with a sed command: There will be multiple occurences in a file that look like this: MyFunction(12c34r5) and I need to replace that with just the 12c34r5 for every occurrence. The text between the parentheses will be different on each occurrence, so I can't search for that.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: missb
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help, Find a pattern, replace it with same text minus leading 0

HI Folks, I'm looking for a solution for this issue. I want to find the Pattern 0/ and replace it with /. I'm just removing the leading zero. I can find the Pattern but it always puts literal value as a replacement. What am I missing?? sed -e s/0\//\//g File1 > File2 edit by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirHenry1
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace a text if the line contains a pattern

My text file looks like below . . . abcdefghi jklmnop $Bad_ptrq_GTS=rcrd_ip.txt $Bad_abcd_REJ=rcrd_op.txt ghijklm $Bad_abcd_TYHS=rcrd_op.txt abcgd abcdefghi jklmnop $Bad_ptrq_GTS=rcrd_ip.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern replace from a text file using sed

I have a sample text format as given below <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645333076543" From="460350337461111" Created="2011-03-16T17:05:37+0000" use_count="123">This is the first text</Text> <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645317023456" From="1626711840902323"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab text after pattern and replace

i have a file which contains data seperated by comma. i want to replace text after 3rd occurrence of a comma. the input file looks like this abcdef,11/02/2015 11:55:47,1001,1234567812345678,12364,,abc abcdefg,11/02/2015 11:55:47,01,1234567812345678,123,,abc abcdefhih,11/02/2015... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpk_newbie
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace pattern in text

hi unix expert is there any command in linux to repace a pattern in the text to another pattern? many thanks samad (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
2 Replies
SUBSTR_REPLACE(3)							 1							 SUBSTR_REPLACE(3)

substr_replace - Replace text within a portion of a string

SYNOPSIS
mixed substr_replace (mixed $string, mixed $replacement, mixed $start, [mixed $length]) DESCRIPTION
substr_replace(3) replaces a copy of $string delimited by the $start and (optionally) $length parameters with the string given in $replace- ment. PARAMETERS
o $string - The input string. An array of strings can be provided, in which case the replacements will occur on each string in turn. In this case, the $replacement, $start and $length parameters may be provided either as scalar values to be applied to each input string in turn, or as arrays, in which case the corresponding array element will be used for each input string. o $replacement - The replacement string. o $start - If $start is positive, the replacing will begin at the $start'th offset into $string. If $start is negative, the replacing will begin at the $start'th character from the end of $string. o $length - If given and is positive, it represents the length of the portion of $string which is to be replaced. If it is negative, it rep- resents the number of characters from the end of $string at which to stop replacing. If it is not given, then it will default to strlen( $string ); i.e. end the replacing at the end of $string. Of course, if $length is zero then this function will have the effect of inserting $replacement into $string at the given $start offset. RETURN VALUES
The result string is returned. If $string is an array then array is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Simple substr_replace(3) examples <?php $var = 'ABCDEFGH:/MNRPQR/'; echo "Original: $var<hr /> "; /* These two examples replace all of $var with 'bob'. */ echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 0) . "<br /> "; echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 0, strlen($var)) . "<br /> "; /* Insert 'bob' right at the beginning of $var. */ echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 0, 0) . "<br /> "; /* These next two replace 'MNRPQR' in $var with 'bob'. */ echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', 10, -1) . "<br /> "; echo substr_replace($var, 'bob', -7, -1) . "<br /> "; /* Delete 'MNRPQR' from $var. */ echo substr_replace($var, '', 10, -1) . "<br /> "; ?> Example #2 Using substr_replace(3) to replace multiple strings at once <?php $input = array('A: XXX', 'B: XXX', 'C: XXX'); // A simple case: replace XXX in each string with YYY. echo implode('; ', substr_replace($input, 'YYY', 3, 3))." "; // A more complicated case where each replacement is different. $replace = array('AAA', 'BBB', 'CCC'); echo implode('; ', substr_replace($input, $replace, 3, 3))." "; // Replace a different number of characters each time. $length = array(1, 2, 3); echo implode('; ', substr_replace($input, $replace, 3, $length))." "; ?> The above example will output: A: YYY; B: YYY; C: YYY A: AAA; B: BBB; C: CCC A: AAAXX; B: BBBX; C: CCC NOTES
Note This function is binary-safe. SEE ALSO
str_replace(3), substr(3), String access and modification by character. PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR_REPLACE(3)