Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tcl switch statement
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tcl switch statement Post 302316598 by SFNYC on Friday 15th of May 2009 01:15:53 PM
Old 05-15-2009
Tcl switch statement

I am just learning Tcl and there are few things about it that is perplexing me. I have a question about the switch statement.

Why are these two switch statements giving me different results?

Code:
$ cat test_switch.tcl
#!/usr/bin/tcl
set foo "abc"

switch abc a - b {puts "No. 1"} $foo {puts "No.2"} default {puts "Default"}

switch abc  {
     a - b    {puts "No.1"}
     $foo     {puts "No.2"}
   default    {puts "Default"}
}

exit 0

$ ./test_switch.tcl
No.2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using getopt with a switch statement

hi all, i have been trying to get a script working that can take in more than one option using getopt. But for some reason, even when i type in a covered option, it skips directly to my error message of "no match." Any ideas of what might be wrong? set - 'getopt frd*: $*' for i in $* do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammarays
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement - How to write a null statement

In my ksh script, if the conditions of a if statement are true, then do nothing; otherwise, execute some commands. How do I write the "do nothing" statement in the following example? Example: if (( "$x"="1" && "$y"="a" && "$z"="happy" )) then do nothing else command command fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

4. Programming

Comapilation error with Switch statement

Hello , How to resolve below compilation error.activity_type is a member of structure and the output from databse will be stored in structure.Expected output wil l be either D or N or C . sample struct format: struct a{ char acAtivity_type; } code: switch (a->activity_type)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagan_kalluri
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable

hi, how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable which needs to be connected to one console server having rj11 on its side and db 9 female on other end.i.e. on switch side,console cable has rj45 and db 9 pin female connector on other side of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Something is wrong with this switch( case statement.

I started writing a script to save the files from a camera I got the other day, which mounts in /Volumes , and I got into it and started building this menu. The only problem is that the switch case is coming up as a syntax error at the parenthesis after a case. Here is the code: while : do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snakemasterAK
2 Replies

7. Programming

tcl-argv with switch & while

I was trying to deciper someone else code. I'm just learning tcl. I was a litte confused about the $argv. I was thinking it would be only a certain value in argv..but if say someone give the switch -cell and -path_to_ezqb is it right to have the second one $argv??? while ($#argv > 0) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carbuncle11
2 Replies

8. Programming

Passing arguments from command line to switch case statement in C

Hi Am pretty new to C.. Am trying to pass the arguments from command line and use them in switch case statement.. i have tried the following #include <stdlib.h> main(int argc, char* argv) { int num=0; if ( argc == 2 ) num = argv; printf("%d is the num value",num); switch ( num ) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies

10. Programming

Missing Logic Looping Through Switch Statement

Having trouble with the logic when looping over this switch case again: for (j = 0; data != 0; j++){ switch(data){ case 'c': output = ranit(r_brace_array); break; case 'h': output = ranit(pipe_array); break; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
6 Replies
switch(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 switch(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
switch - Evaluate one of several scripts, depending on a given value SYNOPSIS
switch ?options? string pattern body ?pattern body ...? switch ?options? string {pattern body ?pattern body ...?} _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The switch command matches its string argument against each of the pattern arguments in order. As soon as it finds a pattern that matches string it evaluates the following body argument by passing it recursively to the Tcl interpreter and returns the result of that evaluation. If the last pattern argument is default then it matches anything. If no pattern argument matches string and no default is given, then the switch command returns an empty string. If the initial arguments to switch start with - then they are treated as options unless there are exactly two arguments to switch (in which | case the first must the string and the second must be the pattern/body list). The following options are currently supported: -exact Use exact matching when comparing string to a pattern. This is the default. -glob When matching string to the patterns, use glob-style matching (i.e. the same as implemented by the string match command). -regexp When matching string to the patterns, use regular expression matching (as described in the re_syntax reference page). | -nocase | Causes comparisons to be handled in a case-insensitive manner. | -matchvar varName | This option (only legal when -regexp is also specified) specifies the name of a variable into which the list of matches found by | the regular expression engine will be written. The first element of the list written will be the overall substring of the input | string (i.e. the string argument to switch) matched, the second element of the list will be the substring matched by the first | capturing parenthesis in the regular expression that matched, and so on. When a default branch is taken, the variable will have | the empty list written to it. This option may be specified at the same time as the -indexvar option. | -indexvar varName | This option (only legal when -regexp is also specified) specifies the name of a variable into which the list of indices referring | to matching substrings found by the regular expression engine will be written. The first element of the list written will be a | two-element list specifying the index of the start and index of the first character after the end of the overall substring of the | input string (i.e. the string argument to switch) matched, in a similar way to the -indices option to the regexp can obtain. | Similarly, the second element of the list refers to the first capturing parenthesis in the regular expression that matched, and | so on. When a default branch is taken, the variable will have the empty list written to it. This option may be specified at the | same time as the -matchvar option. -- Marks the end of options. The argument following this one will be treated as string even if it starts with a -. This is not | required when the matching patterns and bodies are grouped together in a single argument. Two syntaxes are provided for the pattern and body arguments. The first uses a separate argument for each of the patterns and commands; this form is convenient if substitutions are desired on some of the patterns or commands. The second form places all of the patterns and commands together into a single argument; the argument must have proper list structure, with the elements of the list being the patterns and commands. The second form makes it easy to construct multi-line switch commands, since the braces around the whole list make it unnec- essary to include a backslash at the end of each line. Since the pattern arguments are in braces in the second form, no command or vari- able substitutions are performed on them; this makes the behavior of the second form different than the first form in some cases. If a body is specified as "-" it means that the body for the next pattern should also be used as the body for this pattern (if the next pattern also has a body of "-" then the body after that is used, and so on). This feature makes it possible to share a single body among several patterns. Beware of how you place comments in switch commands. Comments should only be placed inside the execution body of one of the patterns, and not intermingled with the patterns. EXAMPLES
The switch command can match against variables and not just literals, as shown here (the result is 2): set foo "abc" switch abc a - b {expr {1}} $foo {expr {2}} default {expr {3}} Using glob matching and the fall-through body is an alternative to writing regular expressions with alternations, as can be seen here (this returns 1): switch -glob aaab { a*b - b {expr {1}} a* {expr {2}} default {expr {3}} } Whenever nothing matches, the default clause (which must be last) is taken. This example has a result of 3: switch xyz { a - b { # Correct Comment Placement expr {1} } c { expr {2} } default { expr {3} } } When matching against regular expressions, information about what exactly matched is easily obtained using the -matchvar option: | switch -regexp -matchvar foo -- $bar { | a(b*)c { | puts "Found [string length [lindex $foo 1]] 'b's" | } | d(e*)f(g*)h { | puts "Found [string length [lindex $foo 1]] 'e's and | [string length [lindex $foo 2]] 'g's" | } | } | SEE ALSO
for(n), if(n), regexp(n) KEYWORDS
switch, match, regular expression Tcl 8.5 switch(n)