Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: set tab to 4 spaces in vi
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting set tab to 4 spaces in vi Post 302315868 by jwebb_2112 on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 11:41:50 AM
Old 05-13-2009
It is the `set expandtab` setting that turns the tab from an actual tab into 4 spaces

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace blank spaces by single tab, and right alignment

Folks, I am wondering if anyone solve this problem. What I want to know is, 1. Delete all white spaces including leading blank space in each line (e.g. line 2), and replace such spaces by single tab except leading blank space 2. Then, align all columns to the right. But, output white space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jae
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tab spaces with sed

Anyone know how to represent tabs when doing subsitutions in sed? I have tried using \t but it doesn't seem to work. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting 2 or more spaces to a single tab

I'm new to bash and want to know a simple sed, awk, or grep script that will find all instances of 2 or more spaces and convert them to a single tab. Thanks for the help in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkandel
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces between strings in a line with tab

Hi All I am having problem in substitution of any number of spaces, or a combination of space and tab in between strings in the lines of text file. Is there any way out in Perl? Please help me. e.g., Say the input is in the following format:- XX yyy zzz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace tab or any spaces with "

my content: samaccountname employeeid useraccountcontrol description i want it to look like this: "samaccountname","employeeid","useraccountcontrol","description" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

7. AIX

Replace all TAB characters with white spaces

Dear Gurus Can you please advise me on how to Replace all TAB characters with white spaces in a text file in AIX? Either using vi or any utilities (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline, tab, spaces in curly braces.. :( Pls Help?

Hi Everyone, in the below "xyz (Exception e)" part... after the curly braces, there is a new line and immediately few tabs are present before closing curly brace. xyz (Exception e) { } note: there can be one or more newlines between the curly braces. My desired output should be ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NY_777
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing tab spaces at the end of each line

I have a file which contains the data lines like below.I want to remove the tab spaces at the end of each line.I have tried with the command sed 's/\+$//' file.but it does not work.Can anyone help me on this? 15022 15022 15022 15022 15022 15022 15023 15023 15023 15023 15023 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert mutiple spaces file to single tab

I have the following file I wanted to convert mutiple spaces to tab: I tried cat filename | tr ' ' '\t' or sed 's/ */ /' FILE but it looses the format 5557263102 5557263102 5552074858 5726310211 5557263102 5557263102 5557263103 5557263103 2142406768 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
2 Replies
expand(1)						      General Commands Manual							 expand(1)

NAME
expand, unexpand - Replaces tab characters with spaces or spaces with tab characters SYNOPSIS
Current syntax expand [-t tablist] [file...] unexpand [-a | -t tablist] [file...] Obsolescent syntax expand [-tabstop | -tab1,tab2,...,tabn] [file...] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: expand: XCU5.0 unexpand: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Replaces spaces at the beginning of each line with a tab, and inserts tab characters wherever their presence compresses the resultant file by replacing two or more characters. When the -t option is specified with the unexpand command, the -a option has no effect. (This option applies to the unexpand command only.) Specifies the tab stops. The tablist argument consists of a single positive decimal integer or multiple positive decimal integers, separated by spaces or commas, in ascending order. If a single number is specified, tabs are set tab- list column positions apart instead of the default (8). If multiple numbers are specified, tabs are set at those specific column posi- tions. Tabbing to tab stop position n thus causes the next character output to be in the (n+1)th column position on that line. If expand has to process a tab character at a position beyond the last of those specified in a multiple tab stop list, the tab char- acter is replaced by a single space in the output. Sets tab stops tabstop spaces apart instead of the default (8). (Obsolescent) Sets tab stops at specified columns. (Obsolescent) [Tru64 UNIX] Columns are measured in bytes. OPERANDS
The path name of a file to be processed. If you do not specify this operand, standard input is read. DESCRIPTION
The expand command changes tab characters to spaces in the named files, or the standard input, and writes the result to the standard out- put. The unexpand command puts tab characters into the data from the standard input, or the named files, and writes the result to the standard output. Backspace characters are preserved in the output and decrement the column count for tab calculations. The column position count cannot be decremented below one. The expand command is useful for preprocessing character files (before sorting, looking at specific columns, and so on.) that contain tab characters. By default, unexpand converts only spaces that are within sequences of spaces and tab characters at the beginnings of lines. Use -a to convert other sequences of spaces. NOTES
If the expand command encounters difficulties opening any specified file, it writes an error message to standard error and terminates imme- diately with an error status. If the unexpand command encounters difficulties opening any specified file, it writes an error message to standard error and continues operation. The exit status will reflect the error. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned by either command: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To replace tab characters in file with spaces, enter: expand file To replace the spaces in file with tab characters, enter: unexpand -a file ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of expand and unexpand: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the inter- nationalization variables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non- empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: fold(1), tabs(1) Standards: standards(5) expand(1)