Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: set tab to 4 spaces in vi
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting set tab to 4 spaces in vi Post 302315868 by jwebb_2112 on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 11:41:50 AM
Old 05-13-2009
It is the `set expandtab` setting that turns the tab from an actual tab into 4 spaces

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace blank spaces by single tab, and right alignment

Folks, I am wondering if anyone solve this problem. What I want to know is, 1. Delete all white spaces including leading blank space in each line (e.g. line 2), and replace such spaces by single tab except leading blank space 2. Then, align all columns to the right. But, output white space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jae
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tab spaces with sed

Anyone know how to represent tabs when doing subsitutions in sed? I have tried using \t but it doesn't seem to work. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting 2 or more spaces to a single tab

I'm new to bash and want to know a simple sed, awk, or grep script that will find all instances of 2 or more spaces and convert them to a single tab. Thanks for the help in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkandel
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces between strings in a line with tab

Hi All I am having problem in substitution of any number of spaces, or a combination of space and tab in between strings in the lines of text file. Is there any way out in Perl? Please help me. e.g., Say the input is in the following format:- XX yyy zzz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace tab or any spaces with "

my content: samaccountname employeeid useraccountcontrol description i want it to look like this: "samaccountname","employeeid","useraccountcontrol","description" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

7. AIX

Replace all TAB characters with white spaces

Dear Gurus Can you please advise me on how to Replace all TAB characters with white spaces in a text file in AIX? Either using vi or any utilities (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline, tab, spaces in curly braces.. :( Pls Help?

Hi Everyone, in the below "xyz (Exception e)" part... after the curly braces, there is a new line and immediately few tabs are present before closing curly brace. xyz (Exception e) { } note: there can be one or more newlines between the curly braces. My desired output should be ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NY_777
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing tab spaces at the end of each line

I have a file which contains the data lines like below.I want to remove the tab spaces at the end of each line.I have tried with the command sed 's/\+$//' file.but it does not work.Can anyone help me on this? 15022 15022 15022 15022 15022 15022 15023 15023 15023 15023 15023 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert mutiple spaces file to single tab

I have the following file I wanted to convert mutiple spaces to tab: I tried cat filename | tr ' ' '\t' or sed 's/ */ /' FILE but it looses the format 5557263102 5557263102 5552074858 5726310211 5557263102 5557263102 5557263103 5557263103 2142406768 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
2 Replies
newform(1)						      General Commands Manual							newform(1)

NAME
newform - change or reformat a text file SYNOPSIS
[file]... DESCRIPTION
reads lines from the named files, or standard input if no input file is named, and reproduces the lines on standard output. Lines are reformatted in accordance with command line options in effect. Command line options can appear in any order, can be repeated, and can be intermingled with the optional files. Command line options are processed in the order specified. This means that option sequences such as yield results different from Options are applied to all files on the command line. Options recognizes the following options: Same as except characters are appended to the end of a line. Truncate n characters from the beginning of the line when the line length is greater than the effective line length (see The default is to truncate the number of characters necessary to obtain the effective line length. The default value is used when with no n is used. This option can be used to delete the sequence numbers from a COBOL program as follows: The must be used to set the effective line length shorter than any existing line in the file so that the option is activated. Change the prefix/append character to k. The default character for k is a space. Same as except that characters are truncated from the end of the line. Write the tab specification format line on the standard output before any other lines are output. The tab specification format line which is printed will correspond to the format specified in the option. If no option is specified, the line which is printed contains the default specification of Input tab specification: expands tabs to spaces, according to the tab specifications given. The tabspec recognizes all tab specification forms described in tabs(1). In addition, tabspec can be in which assumes that the tab specification is to be found in the first line read from the standard input (see fspec(4)). If no tabspec is given, tabspec defaults to A tabspec of expects no tabs; if any are found, they are treated as Set the effective line length to n characters. If n is not entered, defaults to 72. The default line length without the option is 80 characters. Note that tabs and backspaces are treated as single characters (use to expand tabs to spaces). Output tab specification: replaces spaces with tabs, according to the tab specifications given. The tab specifications are the same as for If no tabspec is given, tabspec defaults to A tabspec of means that no spaces will be converted to tabs on output. Prefix n characters (see to the beginning of a line when the line length is less than the effective line length. The default is to prefix the number of characters necessary to obtain the effective line length. Shear off leading characters on each line up to the first tab and place up to 8 of the sheared characters at the end of the line. If more than 8 characters (not counting the first tab) are sheared, the eighth character is replaced by a and any characters to the right of it are discarded. The first tab is always discarded. An error message and program exit occur if this option is used on a file without a tab on each line. The characters sheared off are saved internally until all other options specified are applied to that line. The characters are then added at the end of the processed line. For example, to convert a file with leading digits, one or more tabs, and text on each line, to a file beginning with the text, all tabs after the first expanded to spaces, padded with spaces out to column 72 (or truncated to column 72), and the leading digits placed starting at column 73, the command would be: RETURN VALUE
returns one of the following values: No errors encountered. An error occurred. DIAGNOSTICS
All diagnostics are fatal. was called with a bad option. There was no tab on one line. Self-explanatory. A line exceeds 512 characters after being expanded in the internal work buffer. A tab specification is incorrectly formatted, or specified tab stops are not ascending. A tabspec read from a file (or standard input) must not contain a tabspec referencing another file (or standard input). WARNINGS
normally only keeps track of physical characters; however, for the and options, keeps track of backspaces in order to line up tabs in the appropriate logical columns. does not prompt the user if a tabspec is to be read from the standard input (by use of or If the option is used, and the last option specified was and was preceded by either a or a the tab specification format line will be incor- rect. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), tabs(1), fspec(4). newform(1)