Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: set tab to 4 spaces in vi
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting set tab to 4 spaces in vi Post 302315864 by mjd_tech on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 11:30:02 AM
Old 05-13-2009
Here's the settings from my .vimrc file
Code:
set tabstop=4
set softtabstop=4
set shiftwidth=4
set expandtab

I think this will do what you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace blank spaces by single tab, and right alignment

Folks, I am wondering if anyone solve this problem. What I want to know is, 1. Delete all white spaces including leading blank space in each line (e.g. line 2), and replace such spaces by single tab except leading blank space 2. Then, align all columns to the right. But, output white space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jae
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tab spaces with sed

Anyone know how to represent tabs when doing subsitutions in sed? I have tried using \t but it doesn't seem to work. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting 2 or more spaces to a single tab

I'm new to bash and want to know a simple sed, awk, or grep script that will find all instances of 2 or more spaces and convert them to a single tab. Thanks for the help in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkandel
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces between strings in a line with tab

Hi All I am having problem in substitution of any number of spaces, or a combination of space and tab in between strings in the lines of text file. Is there any way out in Perl? Please help me. e.g., Say the input is in the following format:- XX yyy zzz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace tab or any spaces with "

my content: samaccountname employeeid useraccountcontrol description i want it to look like this: "samaccountname","employeeid","useraccountcontrol","description" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

7. AIX

Replace all TAB characters with white spaces

Dear Gurus Can you please advise me on how to Replace all TAB characters with white spaces in a text file in AIX? Either using vi or any utilities (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline, tab, spaces in curly braces.. :( Pls Help?

Hi Everyone, in the below "xyz (Exception e)" part... after the curly braces, there is a new line and immediately few tabs are present before closing curly brace. xyz (Exception e) { } note: there can be one or more newlines between the curly braces. My desired output should be ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NY_777
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing tab spaces at the end of each line

I have a file which contains the data lines like below.I want to remove the tab spaces at the end of each line.I have tried with the command sed 's/\+$//' file.but it does not work.Can anyone help me on this? 15022 15022 15022 15022 15022 15022 15023 15023 15023 15023 15023 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert mutiple spaces file to single tab

I have the following file I wanted to convert mutiple spaces to tab: I tried cat filename | tr ' ' '\t' or sed 's/ */ /' FILE but it looses the format 5557263102 5557263102 5552074858 5726310211 5557263102 5557263102 5557263103 5557263103 2142406768 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
2 Replies
Text::FindIndent(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Text::FindIndent(3pm)

NAME
Text::FindIndent - Heuristically determine the indent style SYNOPSIS
use Text::FindIndent; my $indentation_type = Text::FindIndent->parse($text, skip_pod => 1); if ($indentation_type =~ /^s(d+)/) { print "Indentation with $1 spaces "; } elsif ($indentation_type =~ /^t(d+)/) { print "Indentation with tabs, a tab should indent by $1 characters "; } elsif ($indentation_type =~ /^m(d+)/) { print "Indentation with $1 characters in tab/space mixed mode "; } else { print "Indentation style unknown "; } DESCRIPTION
This is a module that attempts to intuit the underlying indent "policy" for a text file (most likely a source code file). METHODS
parse The class method "parse" tries to determine the indentation style of the given piece of text (which must start at a new line and can be passed in either as a string or as a reference to a scalar containing the string). Returns a letter followed by a number. If the letter is "s", then the text is most likely indented with spaces. The number indicates the number of spaces used for indentation. A "t" indicates tabs. The number after the "t" indicates the number characters each level of indentation corresponds to. A "u" indicates that the indenation style could not be determined. Finally, an "m" followed by a number means that this many characters are used for each indentation level, but the indentation is an arbitrary number of tabs followed by 0-7 spaces. This can happen if your editor is stupid enough to do smart indentation/whitespace compression. (I.e. replaces all indentations many tabs as possible but leaves the rest as spaces.) The function supports parsing of "vim" modelines. Those settings override the heuristics. The modeline's options that are recognized are "sts"/"softtabstob", "et"/"noet"/"expandtabs"/"noexpandtabs", and "ts"/"tabstop". Similarly, parsing of "emacs" Local Variables is somewhat supported. "parse" use explicit settings to override the heuristics but uses style settings only as a fallback. The following options are recognized: "tab-width", "indent-tabs-mode", "c-basic-offset", and "style". There is one named option that you can pass to "parse()": "skip_pod". When set to true, any section of POD (see perlpod) will be ignored for indentation finding. This is because verbatim paragraphs and examples embedded in POD or quite often indented differently from normal Perl code around the POD section. Defaults to false. Example: my $mode = Text::FindIndent->parse($text, skip_pod => 1); to_vim_commands A class method that converts the output of "parse($text)" into a series of vi(m) commands that will configure vim to use the detected indentation setting. Returns zero (failure) or more lines of text that are suitable for passing to "VIM::DoCommand()" one by one. As a convenience, if the argument to "to_vim_commands" doesn't look like the output of "parse", it is redirected to "parse" first. To use this, you can put the following line in your .vimrc if your vim has Perl support. Suggestions on how to do this in a more elegant way are welcome. The code should be on one line but is broken up for displaying: map <F5> <Esc> :perl use Text::FindIndent;VIM::DoCommand($_) for Text::FindIndent->to_vim_commands(join " ", $curbuf->Get(1..$curbuf->Count()));<CR> (Patches to implement the equivalent for emacs would be welcome as well.) SUPPORT
Bugs should be reported via the CPAN bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Text-FindIndent> For other issues, contact the author. AUTHOR
Steffen Mueller <smueller@cpan.org> Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2008 - 2010 Steffen Mueller. Copyright 2008 - 2010 Adam Kennedy, This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.10.1 2011-01-04 Text::FindIndent(3pm)