Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Exit for loop in a shell script if a condition is successfull Post 302315688 by usha rao on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 03:59:59 AM
Old 05-13-2009
Hi Kerrylinux,
Thanks a lot for your reply and sorry for delay in reply.

but while executing the script it is giving like this:

Code:
./operating_check.ksh[68]: tmp/thread_causing_problem: cannot create

The code snippet which you have given i have to use it in a loop like i have specified earlier like this:

Code:
for jvm in `cat /tmp/highcpu | awk -F" " '{print $3}' | sed 's/Cl/\/Cl/g'`;do

for val in `cat /tmp/thrd_id`;do

cd /logs/$jvm
echo "Thread location is $jvm and thread id is $val" >> /tmp/thread_causing_problem
OUTPUT=$(cat websphere_stdout.txt |sed -n "/$val/,/\"/p")
if [[ x${OUTPUT} != "x" ]];then
         echo $OUTPUT >> tmp/thread_causing_problem
else
         exit 7
fi
done
done

and what is the significance of exit 7???

as specified by Tony whether i have to use use exit or break??

Please advice...
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script not successfull in cron

Hi, I have a script to FTP the files to other unit. Manually this script is running fine & files are getting transferred. But running the same script using crontab does not transfer files, although the cron log shows that the file was executed. PLz suggest (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_kmehra
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling another script if it's contains SUCCESSFULL how?

Hi all, i'm a newbie here, I'm just wondering how can i call my second script if it's contain successfull. script1.sh how can i call my 2nd script if he contain SUCCESSFULL script2.sh SUCCESSFULL please advise, Thanks, (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time condition exit loop

Hi All, Requirement: The below script should automatically exit at 6pm everyday without manually killing the script Tried running with the below shell script but found the script was still running when the time was 6:15pm. The script did not exit the while loop at 6pm The script runs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

If else condition inside for loop of awk command in UNIX shell scripting

Hi , Please excuse me for opening a new thread i am unable to find out the syntax error in my if else condition inside for loop in awk command , my actual aim is to print formatted html td tag when if condition (True) having string as "failed", could anyone please advise what is the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exit from shell script if above condition fails?

HI cd ${back_home} if above back_home does not exist, then script shoul exit. Please let us know how to do that (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzme
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Question: HowTo Exit Script with User Input While Process is Running Mid-Loop?

Hi, I have written a script that allows me to repetitively play a music file $N times, which is specified through user input. However, if I want to exit the script before it has finished looping $N times, if I use CTRL+c, I have to CTRL+c however many times are left in order to complete the loop.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilltop_yodeler
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit while loop on execute script

Hi, I have first script which on IR remote command event execute the second script. If the second script is executed, it display echo "timeout expired" after 10s. This works as expected. But I also want to reset timer (increase time) in case if the second script is executed again within 10s. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: armatron
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop is causing ssh command to exit from script after first iteration.

I am trying to check multiple server's "uptime" in a loop over "ssh". When I execute multiple ssh commands with hard coded servernames script is executing fine. But when I pass server names using while loop, script is exiting after checking first server's status, why? # serverList... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make expect exit the UNIX script in erreneous condition

Hi, I am writing a menu driven program using shell script. THe script will be collecting data by logging into the other servers and bringing back the data to home server to process it and accordingly issue commands. TO automate commands execution , I am using expect script. However I am not able... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
5 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Loop Script with wget until exit is typed

Morning all, I am attempting to complete the below script which will do the following (skip the ping part) using Bash. Prompts the user to type in a URL to download, or to type exit to exit the script. If a URL is typed, wget to download the webpage and then loop back to prompting for a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jgerds1990
2 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)