Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Swap file system
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Swap file system Post 302315227 by jlliagre on Tuesday 12th of May 2009 12:43:26 AM
Old 05-12-2009
The system will likely leave the disk failure unnoticed if the swap space isn't used which is the usual case.
Otherwise, I suspect a panic for unrecoverable read errors and possibly something less extreme for write errors.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What swap is my system running on?

hi all, i need to know what swap my system is running on... Sun-Fire-880 is my system... physical memory= 16GB (8 CPU's) i know generally we keep swap 2 times of real memory... i want to know what is current swap my system is running? following is the o/p of swap -s: Wed Mar 29 16:08:08... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
4 Replies

2. Solaris

/tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded

Can you help. My server sunning solaris 9 on x86 platform pretty much hung for a few hours... I could not use telnet or ssh to the box - it kept refusing connection. A few hours later - I was able to log in again. The server has not rebooted but here are the first errors in the messages log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

4. Solaris

swap space in veritas file system

hi every one , i know how to add swap space in ufs file system. but i m facing problem in veritas file system . i wants to know how will i create swap or add new swap space in existing swap space . Note: disk under veritas volume manager control . please help me to solve this issue . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samy123
5 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How To setup a Diskless Swap System.

This is a guide for setting up your computer with a fast swap system using usb memory sticks. A detailed study of the theories behind this setup can be found here. While this How-To does not include the CFLRU replacement algorithm, it does show the performance benefits of using NAND flash memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johnny_Thumbs
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

7. Solaris

increase SWAP on ZFS file system

Hi All, I am using this commands to dynamically increase ZFS swap space on Solaris my question is: 1- after i make these commands it will permanent or it will remove after restart 2- how to make it permanent # swap -l swapfile dev swaplo bloques libre /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: osmanux
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

swap issues, system is running at 99%

Hi All, I am trying to understand why my system is running at very high. This system is almost out of memory. See below. swapon -s Filename Type Size Used Priority /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02 partition 8388600 8235088 -1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

9. Solaris

File system full, swap

hi all I am having a t5240 server in that zone is there in /var/adm/messages i am getting the following warning WARNING: /zoneroot/zonename-zone/root/tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded if a swap is getting full what can i do. Please use code tags next time for your... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies
BREAD(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  BREAD(3)

NAME
bread, bwrite -- read and write blocks of a UFS file system LIBRARY
UFS File System Access Library (libufs, -lufs) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/mount.h> #include <ufs/ufs/ufsmount.h> #include <ufs/ufs/dinode.h> #include <ufs/ffs/fs.h> #include <libufs.h> ssize_t bread(struct uufsd *disk, ufs2_daddr_t blockno, void *data, size_t size); ssize_t bwrite(struct uufsd *disk, ufs2_daddr_t blockno, const void *data, size_t size); int berase(struct uufsd *disk, ufs2_daddr_t blockno, ufs2_daddr_t size); DESCRIPTION
The bread(), bwrite() and berase() functions provide a block read, write and erase API for libufs(3) consumers. They operate on a userland UFS disk structure, and perform the read and write at a given block address, which uses the current d_bsize value of the structure. RETURN VALUES
The bread() and bwrite() functions return the amount read or written, or -1 in case of any error, including short read. The berase() function returns non-zero on error. ERRORS
The function bread() may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library functions ufs_disk_write(3) or pread(2). The function bwrite() may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library function pwrite(2). The function berase() may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library function ioctl(2). Additionally all three functions may follow the libufs(3) error methodologies in situations where the amount of data written is not equal to the amount requested, or in case of a device error. SEE ALSO
libufs(3), ufs_disk_write(3) HISTORY
These functions first appeared as part of libufs(3) in FreeBSD 5.0. AUTHORS
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org> BSD
June 4, 2003 BSD