Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting renaming multiple files while replacing string Post 302314748 by kevin9 on Saturday 9th of May 2009 11:27:35 PM
Old 05-10-2009
renaming multiple files while replacing string

hi,

i've found a few examples of scripts to do this but for some reason can't get them to work properly.

basically i have some dirs with a few hundred files mixed in with a bunch of other files that were made with a typo in part of them.

long-file-names-tyo-example.ext

want to be able to run something through the dir and rename every file with 'tyo' in the file name to the correct 'typo' string

long-file-names-typo-example.ext

any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

hi, I've a machine running RHEL3,kernel version 2.4. i need to rename multiple files under one directory as follows: ls demo.c demo.S demo-1243.sw demo.xyz and now i need to replace the occurrence of demo with demo_1 for each of the above file. the tedious way is to go ahead and do mv on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

I have a bunch of files txt1.csv--2008 thru to txt3.csv--2008. If i wanted to rename these files all at the same time to txt*.csv-2008 what would be the best way to do it... Just need to get rid of the extra - in each file name.. not all files are going to be called txt*.csv--2008. Just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string in multiple files

Hi, I need to replace the string 'abcd' with 'xyz' in a file sample.xml This sample.xml is also present in the subdirectories of the current directory. Eg, If I am in /user/home/ the sample.xml if present in /user/home/ /user/home/folder1/ /user/home/folder2/... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arulanandsp
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a string in multiple subdirs to a new string??

I have following set of dirs: /dir1/dir2/subdir1 file1 file2 /dir1/dir3/subdir1 file4 file5 /dir1/dir4/subdir1 file6 file7 All of these files have a common string in them say "STRING1", How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming multiple files

I have to rename 100+ files at a time on the server & was trying to use a script for doing that. I have used ultra edit to create a file having current filename & new file name as below file234.txt | file956.txt file687.txt | file385.txt There is no fixed pattern while renaming & would... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: crux123
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text from multiple files at multiple location

Hi, I have many files scattered in all different folders. I want to replace the text within all the files using a single command ( awk, sed...) Is it possible? example find all the files in which there is text "memory" and replace it with "branded_memories". the files can be at the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

best method of replacing multiple strings in multiple files - sed or awk? most simple preferred :)

Hi guys, say I have a few files in a directory (58 text files or somthing) each one contains mulitple strings that I wish to replace with other strings so in these 58 files I'm looking for say the following strings: JAM (replace with BUTTER) BREAD (replace with CRACKER) SCOOP (replace... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in sftp server in a get files script

Hi, In sftp script to get files, I have to rename all the files which I am picking. Rename command does not work here. Is there any way to do this? I am using #!/bin/ksh For eg: sftp user@host <<EOF cd /path get *.txt rename *.txt *.txt.done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed parser behaving strange on replacing multiple words in multiple files

I have 4000 files like $cat clus_grp_seq10_g.phy 18 1002 anig_OJJ65951_1 ATGGTTTCGCAGCGTGATAGAGAATTGTTTAGGGATGATATTCGCTCGCGAGGAACGAAGCTCAATGCTGCCGAGCGCGAGAGTCTGCTAAGGCCATATCTGCCAGATCCGTCTGACCTTCCACGCAGGCCACTTCAGCGGCGCAAGAAGGTTCCTCG aver_OOF92921_1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sammy777888
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue with search and replacing multiple items in multiple files

Im having an issue when trying to replace the first column with a new set of values in multiple files. The results from the following code only replaces the files with the last set of values in val.txt. I want to replace all the files with all the values. for date in {1..31} do for val in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
1 Replies
ppmquantall(1)                                                General Commands Manual                                               ppmquantall(1)

NAME
ppmquantall - run ppmquant on a bunch of files all at once, so they share a common colormap SYNOPSIS
ppmquantall [-ext extension] ncolors ppmfile ... DESCRIPTION
Takes a bunch of portable pixmap as input. Chooses ncolors colors to best represent all of the images, maps the existing colors to the new ones, and overwrites the input files with the new quantized versions. If you don't want to overwrite your input files, use the -ext option. The output files are then named the same as the input files, plus a period and the extension text you specify. Verbose explanation: Let's say you've got a dozen pixmaps that you want to display on the screen all at the same time. Your screen can only display 256 different colors, but the pixmaps have a total of a thousand or so different colors. For a single pixmap you solve this problem with ppmquant; this script solves it for multiple pixmaps. All it does is concatenate them together into one big pixmap, run ppmquant on that, and then split it up into little pixmaps again. (Note that another way to solve this problem is to pre-select a set of colors and then use ppmquant's -map option to separately quantize each pixmap to that set.) SEE ALSO
ppmquant(1), ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Jef Poskanzer. 27 July 1990 ppmquantall(1)