Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Concatenating Text Files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Concatenating Text Files Post 302313285 by kti on Tuesday 5th of May 2009 08:52:48 AM
Old 05-05-2009
Question

zazzybob!
Your answer (found via Google search) is a great help to me, thanks.

$ cd /path/to/files
$ files=*
$ cat $files > bigfile

I modified it like that:

$ cd /path/to/files
$ files=*.txt
$ cat $files > bigfile.txt

How could I insert in front of the content of each file some special string, like many dashes, and / or the given file's name?

So, the bigfile.txt looked like this:

********* file1.txt
content of file1

********* file2.txt
content of file2

********* file3.txt
content of file3
etc

Thanks a lot,

Tamas
(I use Kubuntu, by the way)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

concatenating x files into a one...

... i have 4 files to concatenate but in a certain order and i wanted to do it in a shorter one line command , if possible ! 4 files : file , file0 , file1 and file2 file1 into file2 file0 into the result file into the result thanks in advance Christian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nicol
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenating records from 2 files

I'm trying to concatenate records from 2 files and output it to a third file. The problem I'm running into is that it seems like the "While" command is limited to processing one file at a time. It seems like you could read a record from file1 into a variable. Then do the same for the for file2.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Powcmptr
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

negatively concatenating files

That subject might sound weird. What I have is two files. One looks like: rf17 pts/59 Jul 10 08:43 (10.72.11.22) 27718 pts/59 0:00 b rf17 pts/3 Jul 10 10:03 (10.72.11.22) 32278 pts/3 1:43 b rf58 pts/29 Jul 10 10:09 (10.72.11.51) 44220 pts/29 0:06 b rf58 pts/61 Jul 10 08:45 (10.72.11.51)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating two files

HI I need to concatenate two files which are having headers. the result file should contain only the header from first file only and the header in second file have to be skipped. file1: name age sriram 23 file2 name age prabu 25 result file should be name age sriram 23 prabu ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriramprabu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating selected lines of multiple files

Hi, I would like a shell script that reads all files in a directory and concatenate them. It is not a simple concatenation. The first few lines of the files should not be included. The lines to be included are the lines from where 'START HERE' appears up to the end of the file. For example, I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: laiko
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating similar files in a directory

Hi, I am new in unix. I have below requirement: I have two files at the same directory location File1.txt and File2.txt (just an example, real scenario we might have File2 and File3 OR File6 and File7....) File1.txt has : header1 record1 trailer1 File2.txt has: header2 record2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak62828r
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating 3 files into a single file

I have 3 files File1 C1 C2 c3 File 2 C1 c2 c3 File 3 C1 c2 c3 Now i want to have File1 as C1 c2 c3 I File2 as C1 c2 c3 O File3 as c1 c2 c3 D and these 3 files should be concatenated into a single file how can it be done in unix script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating two files in required format

Firstly one of my mysql queries will yeild following output +-------+---------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | ID | PLATFORM | SORT_NAME | DESCRIPTION ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)