Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD FreeBSD Kernel Internals, Dr. Marshall Kirk McKusick Post 302311799 by Neo on Wednesday 29th of April 2009 02:59:34 PM
Old 04-29-2009
FreeBSD Kernel Internals, Dr. Marshall Kirk McKusick

FreeBSD Kernel Internals, Dr. Marshall Kirk McKusick

The first hour of Marshall Kirk McKusick's course on FreeBSD kernel internals based on his book, The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System.
These 4 Users Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

Need help on Kernel Configuration for FreeBSD

Does anyone know how to enter the Kernel Configuration program in FreeBSD before installation to resolve conflicts of hardware?:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Enoch Chan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to read freebsd kernel source?

I got the freebsd kernel source from the first install CD(in directory:\7.0-RELEASE\src\),isn't right? if so,how can i read it? Is there any tools? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhouq3132
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read freebsd kernel source?

I got the freebsd kernel source from the first install CD(in directory:\7.0-RELEASE\src\),isn't right? if so,how can i read it? Is there any tools? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhouq3132
4 Replies

4. BSD

FreeBSD - Kernel Queries/Issues

All, I am a bit of a BSD newbie and haven't really played with it for years, but I have had a recent situation whereby someone attempted to load a custom kernel module and ended up breaking my BSD server. I managed to fix it by doing the following: Booting into loader mode: unload set... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbabbers
3 Replies

5. Linux

Kernel internals for ARM

Hi, Does anybody have a good pointer on Linux kernel internals for ARM architecture? I can locate plenty for x86 but since ARM is RISC I think there would be subtle changes. So if somebody has a knowledge of good document on Linux Kernel internals for ARM or even a comparative study of kernel on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
0 Replies

6. UNIX Benchmarks

FreeBSD 7.2 build kernel benchmarks

Just for fun: CPU/Speed: 2x AMD Opteron Model 2384 (2.7GHz/512KB) quad core processor Ram: 4 x2GB ECC DDR2-667 single rank memory in RAID 0 mode (strip 128KB, Read Caching enabled, Write Caching disabled) with 2 HDD, CPUTYPE=opteron, CFLAGS= -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe, CXXFLAGS+=... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Success_Tree
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

How to switch from SVR4/BSD internals to Linux internals?

Hello, Long-time Unix hacker here - I've worked on four variants of the kernel prior to the introduction of Linux. In my spare time, I've written Linux (Ubuntu) device drivers, kernel modules, cross-compiled, and built the kernel. I'd like to do Linux internals/device drivers as a day job,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OriginalVersion
1 Replies
TIME(9) 						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						   TIME(9)

NAME
boottime, time_second, time_uptime -- system time variables SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/time.h> extern struct timeval boottime; extern time_t time_second; extern time_t time_uptime; DESCRIPTION
The boottime variable holds the system boot time. The time_second variable is the system's ``wall time'' clock to the second. The time_uptime variable is the number of seconds since boot. The bintime(9), getbintime(9), microtime(9), getmicrotime(9), nanotime(9), and getnanotime(9) functions can be used to get the current time more accurately and in an atomic manner. Similarly, the binuptime(9), getbinuptime(9), microuptime(9), getmicrouptime(9), nanouptime(9), and getnanouptime(9) functions can be used to get the time elapse since boot more accurately and in an atomic manner. The boottime variable may be read and written without special precautions. SEE ALSO
clock_settime(2), ntp_adjtime(2), settimeofday(2), bintime(9), binuptime(9), getbintime(9), getbinuptime(9), getmicrotime(9), getmicrouptime(9), getnanotime(9), getnanouptime(9), microtime(9), microuptime(9), nanotime(9), nanouptime(9) Poul-Henning Kamp, "Timecounters: Efficient and precise timekeeping in SMP kernels", Proceedings of EuroBSDCon 2002, Amsterdam, /usr/share/doc/papers/timecounter.ascii.gz. Marshall Kirk McKusick and George V. Neville-Neil, The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System, Addison-Wesley, 57-61,65-66, July 2004. BSD
September 17, 2004 BSD