Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Line 2238 Unix V6 Comment: You are not expected to understand this. Post 302311788 by Neo on Wednesday 29th of April 2009 02:08:56 PM
Old 04-29-2009
Line 2238 Unix V6 Comment: You are not expected to understand this.

Here is the famous line 2238 of Unix V6 which is part of some of the most delicate parts of the kernel, context switching.

This comment received huge publicity and just may be the the most famous source code comment in computing history.

Code:
2230	/*
2231	 * If the new process paused because it was
2232	 * swapped out, set the stack level to the last call
3333	 * to savu(u_ssav).  This means that the return
2235	 * actually returns from the last routine which did
2236	 * the savu.
2237	 *
2238	 * You are not expected to understand this.
2239	 */
2240	if(rp->p_flag&SSWAP) {
2241		rp->p_flag =& ~SSWAP;
2242		aretu(u.u_ssav);
2243	}

Ref: Unix Sixth Edition Kernel Source Code, © Western Electric Company

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

remove single-line comment

Does anyone knows how to write a program to remove single-line comment in C program? that means it don't read anything behind // (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Icy002
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Placing a comment at the beginning of a line

Hello - I am running Linux. I want to place a comment char at the beginning of a line in a file. For example: testvar=`grep username /etc/people sed -e 's/$testvar/#$testvar/g' /etc/people I cannot get the above commands to put a comment at the beginning of the line. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlike
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to replace a text of line with a comment line

I want to replace this line : "test compare visible] true" and make it "#test compare visible] true". How can I do it ? And it should be checked in many sub folder files also. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.b
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to comment out line in /etc/vfstab

I am running a script remotely to do the following 1. Kill all processes by a user 2. Uninstall certain packages 3. FTP over a new file 4. Kill a ldap process that is not allowing my /devdsk/c0t0d0s7 slice to un-mount 5. Unmount /h 6. comment out the slice in vfstab 7. newfs the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To comment a line where a word exists

Hi All Can u help me.. My problem is comment (#) a line where a word exists in that line sample: cat /tmp/file.txt monitor 192.168.1.11 Copying files in current directory 1 monitor 192.168.1.1 Copying files in current directory 2 monitor 192.168.1.12 Copying files in current... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darren_j
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comment a line with SED

I have around 25 hosts and each hosts has 4 instance of jboss and 4 different ip attached to it . I need to make some changes to the startup scripts. Any tips appreciated. I have total of 100 instances which bind to 100 different ip address based on instance name. For example File1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment a line of the patterns is a the beginning of the line

I need to comment the lines starting with pattern "exclude" or "exclude=". If the work exclude comes at any other part, ignore it. Also, ignore, excludes, excluded etc. Ie only comment the line starting with exclude. File contents. exclude exclude= hi I am excluded excludes excludes= ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing the sas comment line using UNIX

I have tried a lot, Need your help guys. SAS Program: data one ; /* Data step */ Input name $; /*Dec variables*/ I want to remove the commented part(/* Data step */) alone. I have tried using sed command but it is deleting the entire line itself. i need unix command to separate this and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saaisiva
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to comment a specific line of a file?

Hi, I need to comment out (insert # in the front of a line) a line that has entry Defaults requiretty using command-line as I need to do this on hundreds of servers. From Defaults requiretty To #Defaults requiretty I tried something like below but no luck: Please advise,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo printing a line in 2 lines; expected to print in one line

Dear All, fileName: therm.txt nc3h7o2h 7/27/98 thermc 3h 8o 2 0g 300.000 5000.000 1390.000 41 1.47017550e+01 1.71731699e-02-5.91205329e-06 9.21842570e-10-5.36438880e-14 2 -2.99988556e+04-4.93387892e+01 2.34710908e+00 4.34517484e-02-2.65357553e-05 3 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
7 Replies
Locale::Language(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Locale::Language(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Language - standard codes for language identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Language; $lang = code2language('en'); # $lang gets 'English' $code = language2code('French'); # $code gets 'fr' @codes = all_language_codes(); @names = all_language_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Language" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying languages, such as those as defined in ISO 639. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639 two- letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying languages. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lang = code2language('en','alpha-2'); $lang = code2language('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha-2, LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_2 This is the set of two-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-1, such as 'he' for Hebrew. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. This is the default code set. alpha-3, LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_3 This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) bibliographic codes from ISO 639-2 and 639-5, such as 'heb' for Hebrew. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. term, LOCALE_LANG_TERM This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) terminologic codes from ISO 639. ROUTINES
code2language ( CODE [,CODESET] ) language2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) language_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_language_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_language_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Language::rename_language ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::delete_language ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Language::delete_language_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Language::rename_language_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::delete_language_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/ Source of the ISO 639-2 codes. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/ Source of the ISO 639-5 codes. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Language(3pm)