Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux background processing in BASH Post 302311554 by otheus on Wednesday 29th of April 2009 03:51:20 AM
Old 04-29-2009
Are you using bash?

Have you tried "set -x" at the top of the code to see where execution fails? (Line 25 doesn't really help).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Best practice to run bash script in background

nohup /bin/bassh $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & nohup $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & Which is the good practice to run a script in background of above two ? does the first one will have any overhead on the system ? our system is SunOS 5.10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmasals
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent (p1) and 2 children child1 and child2 I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash tee and background threads

Running centos 2.6, I have a bash script in which I'd like to run a number of background threads in parallel, tee'ing the results of the entire script to one file, while tee'ing the result of each background thread to another. Here's what I'm doing, where the number of csv files control the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heatlamp
1 Replies

4. Programming

Unix Shell background processing

So I made my own unix shell, but i want to make a background process when using the & appended to the end, so far most of the commands seem to work (except cd, but thats another story) right now here is what I have got. Im thinking maybe I shouldn't be using switch and maybe switch it to... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mercfh
27 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background tasks in a loop (bash)

I am trying to use a loop to start tasks 0-3, running 0,1,2 in the background with &. FOLDSET=( 0 1 2 3 ) for FOLDSET in ${FOLDSET} do if ; then BACKGRD="&" else BACKGRD="" fi # start task $FOLDSET task1 -nogui -ni -p $PROJ \ epochs=$EPOS ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing

NOTE: I am using BASH and Solaris 10 for this. Currently in the process of building a script that has a main "watcher" daemon that reads a configuration file and starts background processes based on it's global configuration. It is basically an infinite loop of configuration reading. Some of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppress a background message in Bash

I'm having trouble with part of this bash script in Linux where I respawn a new instance of script and kill the old one to prevent forking (Yes, I know 'exec' will not fork but this needs to be interactive) When the old instance is kill it pops up "Terminated!" in the middle of the new instance... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel processing in bash?

Hi Say I am interested in processing a big data set over shell, and each process individually takes a long time, but many such processes can be pipe-lined, is there a way to do this automatically or efficiently in shell? For example consider pinging a list addresses upto 5 times each. Of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plink (processing multiple commands) using Bash

I'm completely brand new to bash scripting (migrating from Windows batch file scripting). I'm currently trying to write a bash script that will automatically reset "error-disabled" Cisco switch ports. Please forgive the very crude and inefficient script I have so far (shown below). It is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKANET
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help] Bash script that runs in the background and checks for mails...

Hello! I have got a homework. The bash script runs in the background and checks the user's mailbox and when the user gets a new mail a popup window appears with some text and information about the sender (from who and when).I have no idea how to start, any help would be appreciated! Thank you:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: capo2ndfret
1 Replies
Tcl_DetachPids(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_DetachPids(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_DetachPids, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs, Tcl_WaitPid - manage child processes in background SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_DetachPids(numPids, pidPtr) Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs() Tcl_Pid Tcl_WaitPid(pid, statusPtr, options) ARGUMENTS
int numPids (in) Number of process ids contained in the array pointed to by pidPtr. int *pidPtr (in) Address of array containing numPids process ids. Tcl_Pid pid (in) The id of the process (pipe) to wait for. int *statusPtr (out) The result of waiting on a process (pipe). Either 0 or ECHILD. int options (in) The options controlling the wait. WNOHANG specifies not to wait when checking the process. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_DetachPids and Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs provide a mechanism for managing subprocesses that are running in background. These procedures are needed because the parent of a process must eventually invoke the waitpid kernel call (or one of a few other similar kernel calls) to wait for the child to exit. Until the parent waits for the child, the child's state cannot be completely reclaimed by the system. If a parent continually creates children and doesn't wait on them, the system's process table will eventually overflow, even if all the children have exited. Tcl_DetachPids may be called to ask Tcl to take responsibility for one or more processes whose process ids are contained in the pidPtr array passed as argument. The caller presumably has started these processes running in background and does not want to have to deal with them again. Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs invokes the waitpid kernel call on each of the background processes so that its state can be cleaned up if it has exited. If the process has not exited yet, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs does not wait for it to exit; it will check again the next time it is invoked. Tcl automatically calls Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs each time the exec command is executed, so in most cases it is not necessary for any code outside of Tcl to invoke Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs. However, if you call Tcl_DetachPids in situations where the exec command may never get executed, you may wish to call Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs from time to time so that background processes can be cleaned up. Tcl_WaitPid is a thin wrapper around the facilities provided by the operating system to wait on the end of a spawned process and to check a whether spawned process is still running. It is used by Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs and the channel system to portably access the operating sys- tem. KEYWORDS
background, child, detach, process, wait Tcl Tcl_DetachPids(3)