Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bashrc
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bashrc Post 302310387 by jim mcnamara on Friday 24th of April 2009 02:24:44 PM
Old 04-24-2009
It would require changing the /etc/profile file on each unix machine in the network.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

from bashrc to sh..??

:) as soon as i installed my software a couple of weeks ago.. (fedora core 2 vs, 2.6.8-1.521) i decided to switch the shell to sh shell and i know that .bashrc is the bash profile file(???) i want to use the sh version of the same file and make it the main profile file.. how can I switch it and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sourcing the .bashrc

Hello, I am quite new to Linux... I need to set some aliases and I can't get it to work. Can somebody tell me what's wrong? I modified the .bashrc file in my home directory. I added: alias pmv= '/home/vera/MGLTools-1.4.5/share/bin/pmv' saved it and ran source .bashrc The shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nusy
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having trouble with .bashrc

hey guys, Im trying to find all my .bashrc files in the home directory. ~/etc/bash.bashrc is the only thing i can find but its outside of my /home Could the files be hidden? I want to see all my .bashrc files in my /home structure... <cries> (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oxoxo
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bashrc question

Hi, I was instructed to find all the .bashrc files on my system, that MODIFY the PS1 varaible. here is what i've come up with so far: ls / .bashrc -print woo. But thats not all. I need to display the full file name ( Including the full path ) and protection. - I can display... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bashrc revisisted

hey guys, i've tried countless times to do this and have come up with: find / type -f ".bashrc" -exec grep PS1 '{}' \; 2>/dev/null | ls -l which tells bash: find all the files in the system with the name .bashrc and look for modifcations to PS1 and terminate and rediret error msgs... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

6. Ubuntu

/etc/bashrc umask

Hi, I got this redhat ent 4 assigned to me now. /etc/bashrc if ; then umask 022 else umask 077 fi What does it mean? I created already three user and it never had 022 umask, always 077. Thank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i look for my .bashrc file

hi i am using cygwin and would like to modify my .bashrc file. How can search to find where it is? I have looked at multiple bashrc file in /etc but none of them seemed to work..thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bashrc not saving changes

I am trying to do some changes at bashrc file located at /etc directory of my server. First I tried to edit bashrc via FTP downloaded on my pc changed it and loaded back, but it seems like changes are not reflecting. Therefore I tried to change it via putty shel using vim bashrc command. but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninadgac
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unset .bashrc

Could someone please tell me how to unset your .bashrc? I have tried all of these. I can't find anything useful from google. unset -f .bashrc unset .bashrc (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get $1 parameter in ~/.bashrc

Hi, i am trying to convert windows path to linux and do some action on equivalent mounted one for the same in linux. echo '\\server1\source\path\needed_files' | sed -e 's!\\!/!g' | sed -e 's!^//!/!' | sed -e 's!\(/server1/source/path\)\(.*\)!/home/$USER/mount/server1\2!'output: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
5 Replies
RECON(1)							     LAM TOOLS								  RECON(1)

NAME
recon - Check if LAM can be started. SYNTAX
recon [-abdhv] [<bhost>] OPTIONS
-a Report all host errors. -b Assume local and remote shell are the same. This means that only one remote shell invocation is used to each node. If -b is not used, two remote shell invocations are used to each node. -d Turn on debugging. -h Print the command help menu. -v Be verbose. DESCRIPTION
In order for LAM to be started on a remote UNIX machine, several requirements have to be fulfilled: 1) The machine must be reachable via the network. 2) The user must be able to remotely execute on the machine with the default remote shell program that was chosen when LAM was config- ured. This is usually rsh(1), but any remote shell program is acceptable (such as ssh(1), etc.). Note that remote host permission must be configured such that the remote shell program will not ask for a password when a command is invoked on remote host. 3) The remote user's shell must have a search path that will locate LAM executables. 4) The remote shell's startup file must not print anything to standard error when invoked non-interactively. If any of these requirements is not met for any machine declared in <bhost>, LAM will not be able to start. By running recon first, the user will be able to quickly identify and correct problems in the setup that would inhibit LAM from starting. The local machine where recon is invoked must be one of the machines specified in <bhost>. The <bhost> file is a LAM boot schema written in the host file syntax. See bhost(5). Instead of the command line, a boot schema can be specified in the LAMBHOST environment variable. Otherwise a default file, bhost.def, is used. LAM seaches for <bhost> first in the local directory and then in the installation directory under etc/. recon tests each machine defined in <bhost> by attempting to execute on it the tkill(1) command using its "pretend" option (no action is taken). This test, if successful, indicates that all the requirements listed above are met, and thus LAM can be started on the machine. If the attempt is successful, the next machine is checked. In case the attempt fails, a descriptive error message is displayed and recon stops unless the -a option is used, in which case recon continues checking the remaining machines. If recon takes a long time to finish successfully, this will be a good indication to the user that the LAM system to be started has slow communication links or heavily loaded machines, and it might be preferable to exclude or replace some of the machines in the system. Remote shell invocation Note that the default remote shell command can be overriden at invocation time with the LAMRSH environment variable. The LAMRSH environ- ment variable can be set with a new command and optional command line arguments. For example, the 1.x series of ssh clients require the -x flag to be specified to suppress standard ssh information from being sent to the standard error (which would cause recon to fail). For example (for the C shell and its derrivates): setenv LAMRSH "ssh -x" Normally, recon uses two remote shell invocations to each node. The first remote shell invocation is used to determine the user's shell on the remote node. The second remote shell invocation is used to launch the desired LAM binary on the remote node. If the -b switch is used, recon will assume that the user's shell on all remote nodes is the same as it is on the local node, and therefore only one remote shell invocation is used, which is noticably faster. In either case, on remote nodes, if the user's shell is not csh, tcsh, or bash, .profile is invoked by LAM before invoking any LAM binary. This allows the user to setup paths and any necessary environment before LAM binaries are invoked (csh and tcsh users can put such setup in their $HOME/.cshrc or $HOME/.tcshrc files; bash users can put this setup in their $HOME/.bashrc file). FILES
$LAMHOME/etc/lam-bhost.def default boot schema file EXAMPLES
recon -v mynodes Check if LAM can be started on all the UNIX machines described in the boot schema mynodes. Report about important steps as they are done. recon -v -a Check if LAM can be started on all the UNIX machines described in the default boot schema. Report about important steps as they are done. Check all the machines; do not stop after the first error message. SEE ALSO
rsh(1), tkill(1), bhost(5), lamboot(1), wipe(1), lam-helpfile(5) LAM 6.5.8 November, 2002 RECON(1)