Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: see a specific line in file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers see a specific line in file Post 302310040 by pank29 on Thursday 23rd of April 2009 02:15:29 PM
Old 04-23-2009
Hi All,
Currently i have to write a script.
For which i need to cut a block from .txt file.
I know the specific word that starts the block and ends the block.
Can we do it in shell scripting..?
Please suggest....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading specific line from file

Hi all... I not a expert unix script programmer, Kindly adjust. My requirement is that, i have a file which contains the about 10 lines - say 1 2 3 ... 8 war of the worlds: => text in this line 9 9000,80,78,77,334,445 => this line contains some numbers separted by commas 10 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool_boss2121
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep on specific line of the file

Hi, how can we search for a word (with case ignore )on specific line numbers ex: Awk /^regEX/ with condition on first line or second line Awk/^ regex1/ on line 1 Awk /^regEX2/ on line 3 thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rider29
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Specific Line of a File

Hi everyone, I am attempting to do something that should be very simple. How do I replace a specific line of a file with different text, and then save that file to its original name? I believe I want to use the sed command with the c option, but I after trying many times, I can't get the right... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a specific line from a file

Hi All, I am having 100 lines a text file say a.txt. I want read the 'nth' line from that file inside a script. Kindly tell us how to that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopathyvasagam
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to read a specific line and a specific field on that line.

Say the input was as follows: Brat 20 x 1000 32rf Pour 15 p 1621 05pr Dart 10 z 1111 22xx My program prompts for an input, what I want is to use the input to locate a specific field. Like if I type in, "Pou" then it would return "Pour" and just "Pour" I currently have this line but it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how read specific line in a file and write it in a new text file?

I have list of files in a directory 'dir'. Each file is of type HTML. I need to read each file and get the string which starts with 'http' and write them in a new text file. How can i do this shell scripting? file1.html <head> <url>http://www.google.com</url> </head> file2.html <head>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Insert a file at specific line

Hi, Anyone can help me in Solaris command on how to insert a file at specific line. I want file1.sql content to be inserted on file2.sh after "recover database using backup controlfile until cancel". # file1.sql /archivelogs/927_822338133.arc /archivelogs/671_822338107.arc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite specific column in xml file with the specific column from adjacent line

I have an xml file dumped from rrd file, that I want to "patch" so the xml file doesn't contain any blank hole in the resulting graph of the rrd file. Here is the file. <!-- 2015-10-12 14:00:00 WIB / 1444633200 --> <row><v> 4.0419731265e+07 </v><v> 4.5045912770e+06... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
h5jam(1)						      General Commands Manual							  h5jam(1)

NAME
h5jam - Add a user block to a HDF5 file SYNOPSIS
h5jam -u user_block -i in_file.h5 [-o out_file.h5] [--clobber] DESCRIPTION
h5jam concatenates a user_block file and an HDF5 file to create an HDF5 file with a user block. The user block can be either binary or text. The output file is padded so that the HDF5 header begins on byte 512, 1024, etc.. (See the HDF5 File Format.) If out_file.h5 is given, a new file is created with the user_block followed by the contents of in_file.h5. In this case, infile.h5 is unchanged. If out_file.h5 is not specified, the user_block is added to in_file.h5. If in_file.h5 already has a user block, the contents of user_block will be added to the end of the existing user block, and the file shifted to the next boundary. If --clobber is set, any existing user block will be overwritten. EXAMPLE USAGE
Create new file, newfile.h5, with the text in file mytext.txt as the user block for the HDF5 file file.h5. h5jam -u mytext.txt -i file.h5 -o newfile.h5 Add text in file mytext.txt to front of HDF5 dataset, file.h5. h5jam -u mytext.txt -i file.h5 Overwrite the user block (if any) in file.h5 with the contents of mytext.txt. h5jam -u mytext.txt -i file.h5 --clobber RETURN VALUE
h5jam returns the size of the output file, or -1 if an error occurs. CAVEATS
This tool copies all the data (sequentially) in the file(s) to new offsets. For a large file, this copy will take a long time. The most efficient way to create a user block is to create the file with a user block (see H5Pset_user_block), and write the user block data into that space from a program. The user block is completely opaque to the HDF5 library and to the h5jam and h5unjam tools. The user block is simply read or written as a string of bytes, which could be text or any kind of binary data. It is up to the user to know what the contents of the user block means and how to process it. When the user block is extracted, all the data is written to the output, including any padding or unwritten data. This tool moves the HDF5 file through byte copies, i.e., it does not read or interpret the HDF5 objects. SEE ALSO
h5dump(1), h5ls(1), h5diff(1), h5import(1), gif2h5(1), h52gif(1), h5perf(1), h5unjam(1). h5jam(1)