Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users RedHat, Solaris - what is uname command ?? Post 302308547 by tarunicon on Sunday 19th of April 2009 08:27:41 AM
Old 04-19-2009
i think he wants to know about the kernel release ..for example 2.6.28.2 and 2.6.29-rc5 and how is it different from one another..and how does one find out which kernel is to be used for which architecture ,i think he wants to be find out kernel release cycle

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris or RedHat Linux

Dear All Experts, Would like to know the maturity/ stability of Redhat Linux AS 3.0 versus Solaris. My organization need to setup cluster solution. We are well-versed with Veritas Cluster on Solaris. We are thinking of waiting for certification support of the various ISV like Oracle,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: izy100
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris to Redhat...

Hi all, Thanks in advance for any posts and for reading... ... ok I am trying to push out an install of a veritas client from a solaris box to a redhat box and its not working. The guide says make sure that the redhat box is in the .rhost file and the /etc/host file on the solaris box which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris vs Redhat

We are planning to switch operating system. Coul you tell me your opinion on the strengths of the Solaris over Redhat and its weaknesses? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrei7
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh and remote command exec `uname -r`

Hi guys, I am trying to do a ssh for performing a set of actions. Find it below: I need to put the user/ kernel/ DISTRO variables before I complete this operation. what I observed is when ever I put a `command` in those quotes, it performs thta action in local system rather than remote one.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmukund
5 Replies

5. Solaris

small doubt reg uname command

Am new to solaris can anyone explain the fields in the below command. Also let me know the difference between nodename and hostname. Here osnask2 is the hostname and type SUNOS. What abt the remaining fields.? #uname -a SunOS osnska2 5.8 Generic_117350-47 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rogerben
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

RedHat vs Solaris x86

Can some one give me few points as why we can choose RedHat Linux over Solaris x86 ? I want to give reasons to my upper management to start using RedHat Linux , currently we are 100% Solaris Shop (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uname command

Hi, Can anyone let me know the -n option in uname command in unix? Gone through the man pages of uname, but unable to interpret. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tr command with uname -n

Using the command : echo $eup_terminal_code | tr -s 'mil vrn qcm' 'mci pql qcm' it works,but this translation changes depending on the system. I'd like to define the following variables ,one for each system : mil22h_from='mil vrn frl' mil22h_to='mci vci fci' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pierluigi.sala
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort command results are different in Redhat 4 vs Redhat 5

Hi, I am having a text file with the following contents ########### File1 ########### some page1.txt text page.txt When I sort this file on Red Hat 5, then I get the following output ########### File1 ########### page1.txt page.txt some (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)