Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl script to search and extract using wildcards. Post 302308372 by KevinADC on Friday 17th of April 2009 09:48:57 PM
Old 04-17-2009
The biggest problem with your regexp is the greedy match .* but your search criteria is too vague to want to try and post any code. For example, why does asdfxx.p but not xx5.p? Of course your regexp will not match asdfxx.p anyway. Please post some real sample data and explain the search criteria in more detail.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using wildcards in this perl command

Hi there, is it possible to use wild cards in this statement ssh $remote_server 'perl -pi -e "s,EXP_SERIAL_19b8be67=\"\",EXP_SERIAL_`hostid`=\"UNKNOWN\"," /var/myfile' This command works fine but the bit in bold (the 8 character hostid) will not always be 19b8be67 so I was hoping I could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Syntax to Extract Everything After Special Character

Hi, I am writing a Perl script that reads in many lines, if a line meets the criteria I want to edit, it. For example, the script will return the following example line... test=abc123 All I want to do is strip off the "test=" and just be left with the abc123. In my script I can easily... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrichard
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to extract 'ID' From XML File

File1.xml <?xml version.........> - <abcd:abcd_list version="1" www.john_uncle's_server.com" xmlns: - <device id="100"> <firmware>12.4(3d)</firmware> <location id="500">Sitting Room</location> </device> - <device id="101"> <firmware>12.4(3d)</firmware> <location id="501">Class... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl, open multiple files with wildcards

I have a question regarding Perl scripting. If I want to say open files that all look like this and assign them to a filehandle and then assign the filehandle to a variable, how do I do this? The file names are strand1.fa.gz.tmp strand2.fa.gz.tmp strand3.fa.gz.tmp strand4.fa.gz.tmp ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: japaneseguitars
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to extract second column from a xls

Can Anyone tell me how to extract the second column of a xls sheet And compare the content of each row of the column with a .h file. xls sheet is having only one spreadsheet. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suvenduperl
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - grep issue in filenames with wildcards

Hi I have 2 directories t1 and t2 with some files in it. I have to see whether the files present in t1 is also there in t2 or not. Currently, both the directories contain the same files as shown below: $ABC.TXT def.txt Now, when I run the below script, it tells def.txt is found,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search and extract the gene sub-location from gff file.

Hi, my problem is that I have two files. File no. 1 is a gff text file (say gi1) that has gene information like : ******************** gene 39389788..39395643 /gene="RPSA" /note="Derived by automated computational analysis using ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reena2305
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to extract a word from the file

Hi everyone, I'm a perl newbie and need your help to extract a word inside the list of files with same pattern. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <ns2:mycode xmlns:ns2="http://www.abcd.com/pqrs/acfSchema-2007a.xsd"> <id>10</id> <name>PaymentServices</name> ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhamaks
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract characters between two search words in a script!!

Hi, I have a log file which is the output from a xml script : <?xml version="1.0" ?> <!DOCTYPE svc_result SYSTEM "MLP_SVC_RESULT_320.DTD"> <svc_result ver="3.2.0"> <slia ver="3.0.0"> <pos> <msid type="MSISDN" enc="ASC">8093078040</msid> <poserr> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunstarz
4 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2018-08-17 PTARGREP(1)