Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl script to search and extract using wildcards. Post 302308370 by CammyD on Friday 17th of April 2009 09:39:52 PM
Old 04-17-2009
Perl script to search and extract using wildcards.

Good evening All,

I have a perl script to pull out all occurrences of a files beginning with xx and ending in .p. I will then loop through all 1K files in a directory. I can grep for xx*.p files but it gives me the entire line. I wish to output to a single colum with only the hits found. This script needs to search for more than one occurrence per line regardless of the position or surrounding text.

Desired output:
Code:
xx1.p
xx3.p
xx4.p
asdfxx.p

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
$test = "xx1.p  xx2.r \n (xx3.p) ( xx4.p ) \n xx5.r xx.p.pxx \n asdfxx.p \n xxixiadsf.xx.p  \n xx4.p {xx5.p}   (  xx6.p)";
while ($test =~ /(xx.*\.p)/g) {
       print "$1\n";
}

Output
Code:
xx1.p
xx3.p) ( xx4.p
xx5.r xx.p.p
xx.p
xxixiadsf.xx.p
xx4.p {xx5.p}   (  xx6.p

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Cammy

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 04-20-2009 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using wildcards in this perl command

Hi there, is it possible to use wild cards in this statement ssh $remote_server 'perl -pi -e "s,EXP_SERIAL_19b8be67=\"\",EXP_SERIAL_`hostid`=\"UNKNOWN\"," /var/myfile' This command works fine but the bit in bold (the 8 character hostid) will not always be 19b8be67 so I was hoping I could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Syntax to Extract Everything After Special Character

Hi, I am writing a Perl script that reads in many lines, if a line meets the criteria I want to edit, it. For example, the script will return the following example line... test=abc123 All I want to do is strip off the "test=" and just be left with the abc123. In my script I can easily... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrichard
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to extract 'ID' From XML File

File1.xml <?xml version.........> - <abcd:abcd_list version="1" www.john_uncle's_server.com" xmlns: - <device id="100"> <firmware>12.4(3d)</firmware> <location id="500">Sitting Room</location> </device> - <device id="101"> <firmware>12.4(3d)</firmware> <location id="501">Class... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl, open multiple files with wildcards

I have a question regarding Perl scripting. If I want to say open files that all look like this and assign them to a filehandle and then assign the filehandle to a variable, how do I do this? The file names are strand1.fa.gz.tmp strand2.fa.gz.tmp strand3.fa.gz.tmp strand4.fa.gz.tmp ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: japaneseguitars
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to extract second column from a xls

Can Anyone tell me how to extract the second column of a xls sheet And compare the content of each row of the column with a .h file. xls sheet is having only one spreadsheet. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suvenduperl
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - grep issue in filenames with wildcards

Hi I have 2 directories t1 and t2 with some files in it. I have to see whether the files present in t1 is also there in t2 or not. Currently, both the directories contain the same files as shown below: $ABC.TXT def.txt Now, when I run the below script, it tells def.txt is found,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search and extract the gene sub-location from gff file.

Hi, my problem is that I have two files. File no. 1 is a gff text file (say gi1) that has gene information like : ******************** gene 39389788..39395643 /gene="RPSA" /note="Derived by automated computational analysis using ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reena2305
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to extract a word from the file

Hi everyone, I'm a perl newbie and need your help to extract a word inside the list of files with same pattern. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <ns2:mycode xmlns:ns2="http://www.abcd.com/pqrs/acfSchema-2007a.xsd"> <id>10</id> <name>PaymentServices</name> ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhamaks
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract characters between two search words in a script!!

Hi, I have a log file which is the output from a xml script : <?xml version="1.0" ?> <!DOCTYPE svc_result SYSTEM "MLP_SVC_RESULT_320.DTD"> <svc_result ver="3.2.0"> <slia ver="3.0.0"> <pos> <msid type="MSISDN" enc="ASC">8093078040</msid> <poserr> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunstarz
4 Replies
Locale::Script(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       Locale::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Script(3pm)