Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting STDERR to a file from within a bash script Post 302306070 by vockleya on Friday 10th of April 2009 07:11:11 PM
Old 04-10-2009
Redirecting STDERR to a file from within a bash script

I am trying to redirect the output from stderr to a log file from within a bash script. the script is to long to add
Code:
2> $logfile

to the end of each command. I have been trying to do it with the command
Code:
exec 2> $logfile

This mostly works. Unfortunately, when a read command requires that anything be typed in, the input is hidden and printed in the log file. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks in advance for any help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting STDOUT & STDERR

In bash, I need to send the STDOUT and STDERR from a command to one file, and then just STDERR to another file. Doing one or the other using redirects is easy, but trying to do both at once is a bit tricky. Anyone have any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jshinaman
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stderr while live

If I forget to set up stderr redirection on execution of a script, is there a way to set that redirection post-exec? In other words, if I have a script running and no errors are being logged... and then I remember that I forgot the 2>&1 on the script... can I turn it on after the fact? ...and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jjinno
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR message to STDOUT & file at same time

Friends I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file. 2 > &1 | tee file works but it also displays the non error messages to file, while i only need error messages. Can anyone help?? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stderr problem

% ls -ld /usr /foo ls: /foo: No such file or directory drwxr-xr-x 14 root wheel 512 May 18 02:49 /usr % ls -ld /usr /foo 1>/dev/null/ /dev/null/: Not a directory. % ls -ld /usr /foo 2>/dev/null/ /dev/null/: Not a directory. ^^Why why why doesn't this work for me. Furthermore, where is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

noob question about redirecting stderr

I dont know what I am doing wrong but I would like to redirect the stderr output to a file? the specific command is this time wget http://www.something.com/somefile.bin All I want to see is time's output which is stderr so I can see how long the file download took. I've tried redirecting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to tee stderr from a command that's redirecting error to a file?

I'm not a complete novice at unix but I'm not all that advanced either. I'm hoping that someone with a little more knowledge than myself has the answer I'm looking for. I'm writing a wrapper script that will be passed user commands from the cron... Ex: ./mywrapper.sh "/usr/bin/ps -ef |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumgi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve output order when redirecting stdout and stderr

Hi, I already searched through the forum and tried to find a answer for my problem but I didn't found a full working solution, thats way I start this new thread and hope, some can help out. I wonder that I'm not able to find a working solution for the following scenario: Working in bash I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boemm
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR to file and screen, STDOUT only to file

I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file but STDOUT only to the same file. I have searched in this formum for a solution, but something like srcipt 3>&1 >&2 2>&3 3>&- | tee errs doesn't work for me... Has anyone an idea??? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: thuranga
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lost redirecting stderr & stdout to 3 files - one each plus combined

Hi folks I need/want to redirect output (stdout, stderr) from an exec call to separate files. One for stderr only and two(!) different (!) ones for the combined output of stderr and stdout. After some research and testing i got this so far : (( exec ${command} ${command_parameters} 3>&1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDominok
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Confused about redirecting stderr

I know that mmmmm 2> error.txt will send the error message to the specified file instead of the screen. However, I have seen >&2 in some scripts, and I can't get it to do anything. A source said it sends stdout and stderr to a file. What file? Ubuntu 18.04.2; Xfce 4.12.3;... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
11 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux