Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 - How to find the total size of my hard disk? Post 302304046 by saagar on Saturday 4th of April 2009 03:49:15 PM
Old 04-04-2009
Tools Solaris 10 - How to find the total size of my hard disk?

Friends,
I have an 80 GB HDD, but I wish to know if there is a direct command in Solaris 10 to find out the size of my hard disk (similar to fdisk -l in Linux).
Thank you

saagar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to find the total size of a dirctory tree in Solaris

Hi, I want to find the total size of some directory trees in my solaris 9 machine. Is there a command or utility I can use to do it. Please let me know if there is any way. Thanks Akheel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
1 Replies

2. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

determine the physical size of the hard disk

Hi is there a cmd in hpux 11 to determine the physical size of the hard disk. not bdf command. i have searched the other threads here but cant find an answer. thank you guys (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoffies
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find total size for some files?

Hi, I'm newbie to Unix. I'd like to count the total size of those files in my directory by date. For example, files on this period 05/01/08 - 05/31/08. If possible can we count by byte instead of kb. if I use $ du - ks , it will add up all files in the dir. thanks, Helen (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: helen008
5 Replies

5. Solaris

swap size, total disk space

Hi experts, In my solaris system when i run the command df -h i got the below response.I have some confusion which i want to share with you guys.1)there are two SWAP file system shows are they same or different?2)if i want to count the total disk space should i take both the swap space or only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafiassam
2 Replies

6. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the total size of all directories that are owned by a particular User

Hi All, I am writing a script in which i need find the total size of all the directories that are present in a directory which are owned by a particular user. I will explain in details i have a dir DIR1 in which i have 5 dir's DIRA DIRB DIRC DIRD DIRE. DIRA DIRC DIRE are owned by "eswar" i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display total hard disk size?

Hi, Using Redhat, how do I display total hard disk size? I know how to do that in Solaris, you can type, format. It will show how big the disks are. This is what I did so for. $ df -t ext3 -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samnyc
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Find the total size of multiple files

If I have a number of files in a directory, for example, test.1 test.2 test.3 abc.1 abc.2 abc.3 and I need to find the total file size of all of the test.* files, I can use du -bc test.* in Linux. However, in Solaris, du does not have the -c option. What can I do in Solaris to get... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnix
11 Replies

10. Solaris

How to count total HDD size of disk?

Hi, I am trying to fetch total HDD size through command line on solaris machine: bash-3.2# iostat -E sd0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 Vendor: VMware Product: Virtual disk Revision: 1.0 Serial No: Size: 42.95GB <42949672448 bytes> Media Error: 0 Device... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
1 Replies
fmthard(1M)															       fmthard(1M)

NAME
fmthard - populate label on hard disks SYNOPSIS
SPARC fmthard -d data | -n volume_name | -s datafile [-i] /dev/rdsk/c? [t?] d?s2 fmthard -d data | -n volume_name | -s datafile [-i] /dev/rdsk/c? [t?] d?s2 The fmthard command updates the VTOC (Volume Table of Contents) on hard disks and, on systems, adds boot information to the Solaris fdisk partition. One or more of the options -s datafile, -d data, or -n volume_name must be used to request modifications to the disk label. To print disk label contents, see prtvtoc(1M). The /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?s2 file must be the character special file of the device where the new label is to be installed. On systems, fdisk(1M) must be run on the drive before fmthard. If you are using an system, note that the term ``partition'' in this page refers to slices within the fdisk partition on machines. Do not confuse the partitions created by fmthard with the partitions created by fdisk. The following options are supported: -d data The data argument of this option is a string representing the information for a particular partition in the current VTOC. The string must be of the format part:tag:flag:start:size where part is the partition number, tag is the ID TAG of the partition, flag is the set of permission flags, start is the starting sector number of the partition, and size is the number of sectors in the partition. See the description of the datafile below for more information on these fields. -i This option allows the command to create the desired VTOC table, but prints the information to standard output instead of modifying the VTOC on the disk. -n volume_name This option is used to give the disk a volume_name up to 8 characters long. -s datafile This option is used to populate the VTOC according to a datafile created by the user. If the datafile is "-", fmthard reads from standard input. The datafile format is described below. This option causes all of the disk par- tition timestamp fields to be set to zero. Every VTOC generated by fmthard will also have partition 2, by convention, that corresponds to the whole disk. If the input in datafile does not specify an entry for partition 2, a default partition 2 entry will be created auto- matically in VTOC with the tag V_BACKUP and size equal to the full size of the disk. The datafile contains one specification line for each partition, starting with partition 0. Each line is delimited by a new-line character ( ). If the first character of a line is an asterisk (*), the line is treated as a com- ment. Each line is composed of entries that are position-dependent, separated by "white space" and having the fol- lowing format: partition tag flag starting_sector size_in_sectors where the entries have the following values: partition The partition number. Currently, for Solaris SPARC, a disk can have up to 8 partitions, 0-7. Even though the partition field has 4 bits, only 3 bits are currently used. For , all 4 bits are used to allow slices 0-15. Each Solaris fdisk partition can have up to 16 slices. tag The partition tag: a decimal number. The following are reserved codes: 0 (V_UNASSIGNED), 1 (V_BOOT), 2 (V_ROOT), 3 (V_SWAP), 4 (V_USR), 5 (V_BACKUP), 6 (V_STAND), 7 (V_VAR), and 8 (V_HOME). flag The flag allows a partition to be flagged as unmountable or read only, the masks being: V_UNMNT 0x01, and V_RONLY 0x10. For mountable partitions use 0x00. starting_sector The sector number (decimal) on which the partition starts. size_in_sectors The number (decimal) of sectors occupied by the partition. You can save the output of a prtvtoc command to a file, edit the file, and use it as the datafile argument to the -s option. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ uname(1), format(1M), prtvtoc(1M), attributes(5) Only fdisk(1M), installgrub(1M) Special care should be exercised when overwriting an existing VTOC, as incorrect entries could result in current data being inaccessible. As a precaution, save the old VTOC. For disks under one terabyte, fmthard cannot write a VTOC on an unlabeled disk. Use format(1M) for this purpose. 11 Apr 2005 fmthard(1M)