Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Copy a file using UNIX-system calls Post 302300916 by shamrock on Wednesday 25th of March 2009 11:26:38 AM
Old 03-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_d
Code:
sourcefile=open(argv[1],O_RDONLY,0664);

That's not the preferred way to specify file modes in UNIX. By not giving it the O_CREAT file it means that the file exists and the open call will have no affect on it and instead of giving 0644 for the file mode bits use...
Code:
sourcefile=open(argv[1], O_RDONLY | O_CREAT, S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR | S_IRGRP| S_IROTH);

That's for creating and opening a file that does not exist because if it does then the open call fails so should check its return value.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls?

open, creat, read, write, lseek and close Are they all primitive? :confused: *Another Question: is there a different between a system call, and an i/o system call? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlunderBunny
2 Replies

4. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix directory system calls question

I'm currently studying for my exam, and is practicing with sample exam questions. However there is a question asking "Name THREE UNIX Directory system calls" and the answer given is "opendir, closedir and readdir", however the next question ask "Why is a write directory system call not included... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Izzy123
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Export Glance "Global System Calls" data to a file

Hello... I'm trying to setup a cronjob to record system data using glance at certain times of the day. My question is, how would one export the "Global System Calls" information to a file? Below is the command I have been using and it works to export CPU information. glance -f ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fumus
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls in UNIX

Hi i am very new to programming in UNIX and don't understand the difference between a system call and a normal function call. Also can I implement system calls from within a program? If so could someone please give me an example of a system call from within a program. Lastly, when creating a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjhum33
1 Replies
SHM_OPEN(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual						       SHM_OPEN(2)

NAME
shm_open -- open a shared memory object SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> #include <fcntl.h> int shm_open(const char *name, int oflag, ...); The parameter "mode_t mode" is optional. DESCRIPTION
The shared memory object referenced by name is opened for reading and/or writing as specified by the argument oflag and the file descriptor returned to the calling process. The returned file descriptor will be the lowest non-open file descriptor for the calling process, and is not shared with any other processes, as it is a new file descriptor. The new file descriptor will have the FD_CLOEXEC flag set. Repeated calls to shm_open with the same string value for name() will return a file descriptor referring to the same shared memory object, provided that the object has not been unlinked by a call to shm_unlink(). The oflag argument may indicate the file is to be created if it does not exist (by specifying the O_CREAT flag), in which case the file is created with mode mode as described in chmod(2) and modified by the process' umask value (see umask(2)). The value of oflag is formed by or'ing the following values: O_RDONLY open for reading only O_RDWR open for reading and writing O_CREAT create object if it does not exist O_EXCL error if create and object exists O_TRUNC truncate size to 0 Exactly one of O_RDONLY or O_RDWR must be specified. If O_TRUNC is specified and the file exists, the file is truncated to zero length. If O_EXCL is set with O_CREAT and the file already exists, shm_open() returns an error. This may be used to implement a simple exclusive access locking mechanism. If successful, shm_open() returns a non-negative integer, termed a file descriptor. It returns -1 and sets errno on failure. The file pointer used to mark the current position within the memory object is set to the beginning of the object. When a new shared memory object is created it is given the owner and group corresponding to the effective user and group of the calling process. There is no visible entry in the file system for the created object in this implementation. When a shared memory object is created, it persists until it it unlinked and all other references are gone. Objects do not persist across a system reboot. The system imposes a limit on the number of file descriptors open simultaneously by one process. getdtablesize(2) returns the current system limit. ERRORS
The named object is opened unless: [EACCES] The required permissions (for reading and/or writing) are denied for the given flags. [EACCES] O_CREAT is specified, the object does not exist, and permission to create the object is denied. [EEXIST] O_CREAT and O_EXCL were specified and the object exists. [EINTR] The shm_open() operation was interrupted by a signal. [EINVAL] The shm_open() operation is not supported. [EMFILE] The process has already reached its limit for open file descriptors. [ENAMETOOLONG] name exceeded the name size limit. This is currently PSHMNAMLEN characters (defined in <sys/posix_shm.h>), but this may change in the future. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. [ENOENT] O_CREAT is not set and the named object does not exist. [ENOSPC] O_CREAT is specified, the file does not exist, and there is insufficient space available to create the object. SEE ALSO
chmod(2), close(2), getdtablesize(2), mmap(2), shm_unlink(2), umask(2) HISTORY
shm_open() is specified in the POSIX Realtime Extension (1003.1b-1993/1003.1i-1995). Darwin August 29, 2008 Darwin