Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Copy a file using UNIX-system calls Post 302300908 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 25th of March 2009 11:07:47 AM
Old 03-25-2009
The third option to open() - which is shown in man pages as "..." is only used when a new file is being created. In your case you are opening an existing file as read only.

"..." is a way of saying that the number and types of the remaining arguments may vary. There may be none or there may be one or more.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls?

open, creat, read, write, lseek and close Are they all primitive? :confused: *Another Question: is there a different between a system call, and an i/o system call? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlunderBunny
2 Replies

4. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix directory system calls question

I'm currently studying for my exam, and is practicing with sample exam questions. However there is a question asking "Name THREE UNIX Directory system calls" and the answer given is "opendir, closedir and readdir", however the next question ask "Why is a write directory system call not included... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Izzy123
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Export Glance "Global System Calls" data to a file

Hello... I'm trying to setup a cronjob to record system data using glance at certain times of the day. My question is, how would one export the "Global System Calls" information to a file? Below is the command I have been using and it works to export CPU information. glance -f ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fumus
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls in UNIX

Hi i am very new to programming in UNIX and don't understand the difference between a system call and a normal function call. Also can I implement system calls from within a program? If so could someone please give me an example of a system call from within a program. Lastly, when creating a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjhum33
1 Replies
PTS(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    PTS(4)

NAME
ptmx, pts - pseudoterminal master and slave DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/ptmx is a character file with major number 5 and minor number 2, usually of mode 0666 and owner.group of root.root. It is used to create a pseudoterminal master and slave pair. When a process opens /dev/ptmx, it gets a file descriptor for a pseudoterminal master (PTM), and a pseudoterminal slave (PTS) device is created in the /dev/pts directory. Each file descriptor obtained by opening /dev/ptmx is an independent PTM with its own associated PTS, whose path can be found by passing the descriptor to ptsname(3). Before opening the pseudoterminal slave, you must pass the master's file descriptor to grantpt(3) and unlockpt(3). Once both the pseudoterminal master and slave are open, the slave provides processes with an interface that is identical to that of a real terminal. Data written to the slave is presented on the master descriptor as input. Data written to the master is presented to the slave as input. In practice, pseudoterminals are used for implementing terminal emulators such as xterm(1), in which data read from the pseudoterminal mas- ter is interpreted by the application in the same way a real terminal would interpret the data, and for implementing remote-login programs such as sshd(8), in which data read from the pseudoterminal master is sent across the network to a client program that is connected to a terminal or terminal emulator. Pseudoterminals can also be used to send input to programs that normally refuse to read input from pipes (such as su(1), and passwd(1)). FILES
/dev/ptmx, /dev/pts/* NOTES
The Linux support for the above (known as UNIX 98 pseudoterminal naming) is done using the devpts file system, that should be mounted on /dev/pts. Before this UNIX 98 scheme, master pseudoterminals were called /dev/ptyp0, ... and slave pseudoterminals /dev/ttyp0, ... and one needed lots of preallocated device nodes. SEE ALSO
getpt(3), grantpt(3), ptsname(3), unlockpt(3), pty(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2002-10-09 PTS(4)