Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Copy a file using UNIX-system calls Post 302300899 by c_d on Wednesday 25th of March 2009 10:44:57 AM
Old 03-25-2009
ok, i have another doubt on open()
i change my c-code
from
Code:
sourcefile=open(argv[1],O_RDONLY);

to
Code:
sourcefile=open(argv[1],O_RDONLY,0664);

shouldn't open() be able to override the default permissions already set?
i tried and apparently it does not. is there any reason, besides enforcing security(that the only thing that i could think of)? and is there any way around this? (besides giving the file permissions using the system("chmod "); function?)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls?

open, creat, read, write, lseek and close Are they all primitive? :confused: *Another Question: is there a different between a system call, and an i/o system call? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlunderBunny
2 Replies

4. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix directory system calls question

I'm currently studying for my exam, and is practicing with sample exam questions. However there is a question asking "Name THREE UNIX Directory system calls" and the answer given is "opendir, closedir and readdir", however the next question ask "Why is a write directory system call not included... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Izzy123
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Export Glance "Global System Calls" data to a file

Hello... I'm trying to setup a cronjob to record system data using glance at certain times of the day. My question is, how would one export the "Global System Calls" information to a file? Below is the command I have been using and it works to export CPU information. glance -f ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fumus
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls in UNIX

Hi i am very new to programming in UNIX and don't understand the difference between a system call and a normal function call. Also can I implement system calls from within a program? If so could someone please give me an example of a system call from within a program. Lastly, when creating a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjhum33
1 Replies
LIBXO(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  LIBXO(3)

NAME
xo_err -- emit errors and warnings in multiple formats LIBRARY
library ``libxo'' SYNOPSIS
#include <libxo/xo.h> void xo_warn(const char *fmt, ...); void xo_warnx(const char *fmt, ...); void xo_warn_c(int code, const char *fmt, ...); void xo_warn_hc(xo_handle_t *xop, int code, const char *fmt, ...); void xo_err(int eval, const char *fmt, ...); void xo_errc(int eval, int code, const char *fmt, ...); void xo_errx(int eval, const char *fmt, ...); void xo_message(const char *fmt, ...); void xo_message_c(int code, const char *fmt, ...); void xo_message_hc(xo_handle_t *xop, int code, const char *fmt, ...); void xo_message_hcv(xo_handle_t *xop, int code, const char *fmt, va_list vap); DESCRIPTION
Many programs make use of the standard library functions err(3) and warn(3) to generate errors and warnings for the user. libxo wants to pass that information via the current output style, and provides compatible functions to allow this. These functions display the program name, a colon, a formatted message based on the arguments, and then optionally a colon and an error mes- sage associated with either errno or the code parameter. EXAMPLE: if (open(filename, O_RDONLY) < 0) xo_err(1, "cannot open file '%s'", filename); ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION
Complete documentation can be found on github: http://juniper.github.io/libxo/libxo-manual.html libxo lives on github as: https://github.com/Juniper/libxo The latest release of libxo is available at: https://github.com/Juniper/libxo/releases SEE ALSO
xo_emit(3) HISTORY
The libxo library was added in FreeBSD 11.0. AUTHOR
Phil Shafer BSD
December 4, 2014 BSD