Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to unpack and install .tar.bz2 library ? Post 302299860 by TonyFullerMalv on Saturday 21st of March 2009 07:38:14 PM
Old 03-21-2009
"Read-only file system" is the clue, if the .tar.bz2 library is on a cdrom then copy it to somewhere writeable (e.g. /) first then do the extraction, also you may need to uncompress it with bunzip2 if tar -z does not support that format although what you show looks promising on that matter.
You will also need to be the root user in oder to write to /.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extracting from tar.bz2

hi could any body tell me how to extract .tar.bz2 files i tried using tar but in vain. i found bzip2 in googling but i could not find it on machine unix tru64 please suggest. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raom
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two tar.bz2

Hello, I am using a bash script to archive directories of text files located in ${root}: tar cf ${root}.tar ${root}* bzip2 ${root}.tar I'd like to compare the newly produced archive two.tar.bz2 with the second latest one.tar.bz2. cmp one.tar.bz2 two.tar.bz2 returns one.tar.bz2 two.tar.bz2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unpack .tar-file and get name

Hi there, I wrote the following code: if ($SCENE == *.tar) then echo "tar -xf $SCENE" tar -xf $SCENE > tar.txt set dims = `awk '$0' tar.txt` echo "name of dims is:" echo "$dims" endif My intension is, to write a variable "dims" with the output name of the tar-command. That means,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: friend
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put one tar.bz2 file to another tar.bz2

Hi experts, I have two tar.bz2 file,: a.tar.bz2 and b.tar.bz2 I want to put a.tar.bz2 in to b.tar.bz2 eg: b.tar.bz2 only have one file named "b.c" contained I want it contain "b.c and a.tar.bz2" I don't want to decompress the b.tar.bz2 to achieve this, I try with "cat a.tar.bz2 >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Download firefox-19.0.2.tar.bz2

Does anyone know a reliable source to download firefox-19.0.2.tar.bz2 from? I would think you be able to download from firefox or mozilla somewhere. I haven't gotten anything useful from my google searches. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Error messages while extracting tar.bz2 in Ubuntu

while extracting a tar.bz2 file using the command tar xjf git.tar.bz2 I received error messages that shows Cannot hard link to and Cannot create symlink to error messages what will be the reason for those error messages. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravana krishn
4 Replies

7. Programming

Aria2c to download and extract. tar.bz2

I am using aria2c to download a .tar.bz2 and trying to extract it in the same command. I can download the file but not extract it. I can also manually extract the tar.bz2., but not in the same command. Thank you :). aria2c -x8 -l log.txt -c -d /xx/xx/xxx --use-head=true --http-user "<user>" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash not removing all .tar.bz2 files after extracting

In the bash below each .tar.bz2 (usually 2) are extracted and then the original .tar.bz2 is removed. However, only one (presumably the first extracted) is being removed, however both are extracted. I am not sure why this is? Thank you :). tar.bz2 folders in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API ... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speed up extraction od tar.bz2 files using bash

The below bash will untar each tar.bz2 folder in the directory, then remove the tar.bz2. Each of the tar.bz2 folders ranges from 40-75GB and currently takes ~2 hours to extract. Is there a way to speed up the extraction process? I am using a xeon processor with 12 cores. Thank you :). ... (7 Replies)
7 Replies
ARK(1)								 KDE User's Manual							    ARK(1)

NAME
ark - KDE archiving tool SYNOPSIS
ark [-b] [-a] [-e] [-c] [-f suffix] [-p] [-t file] [-d] [-o directory] [KDE Generic Options] [Qttm Generic Options] DESCRIPTION
Ark is a program for managing various compressed file formats within KDE. Archives can be viewed, extracted, created and modified with Ark. The program can handle various formats such as tar, gzip, bzip2, zip, rar (when the appropriate libraries or command-line programs are in- stalled). OPERATION MODES
Ark can be used either as a stand-alone GUI program as well as a command-line program in order to perform some specific tasks. If invoked without the -b (--batch) or -c (--add) options, Ark is started as a normal GUI program. When the -b (--batch) option is used, Ark can be used to extract the contents of one or more files directly from the command-line, without launching its GUI. When the -c (--add) option is used, Ark prompts for files that should be added to a new archive or to an existing archive. OPTIONS
-d, --dialog Show a dialog for specifying the options for a batch or add operation. -o, --destination directory Default the extraction directory to directory. If not passed, the current path is used. Options for adding files -c, --add Query the user for an archive filename and add specified files to it. Quit when finished. -t, --add-to filename Add the specified files to filename. Create archive if it does not exist. Quit when finished. -p, --changetofirstpath Change the current directory to the first entry and add all other entries relative to this one. -f, --autofilename suffix Automatically choose a filename, with the selected suffix (for example rar, tar.gz, zip or any other supported types). Options for batch extraction b, --batch Use the batch interface instead of the usual dialog. This option is implied if more than one url is specified. -e, --autodestination The destination argument will be set to the path of the first file supplied. -a, --autosubfolder Archive contents will be read, and if detected to not be a single folder archive, a subfolder by the name of the archive will be created. EXAMPLES
ark --batch archive.tar.bz2 Will extract archive.tar.bz2 into the current directory without showing any GUI. ark -b -d archive.tar.bz2 archive2.zip Will first show an extraction options dialog and then extract both archive.tar.bz2 and archive2.zip into the directory chosen in the dialog. ark --add-to my-archive.zip photo1.jpg text.txt Will create my-archive.zip if does not exist and then add photo1.jpg and text.txt to it. AUTHORS
Ark is currently maintained by Harald Hvaal <haraldhv@stud.ntnu.no> and Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito@gmail.com>. This man page was first written by Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org> in 2005 for KDE 3.4, and was later updated in 2009 by Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito@gmail.com>. AUTHORS
Lauri Watts, Raphael Kubo da Costa. K Desktop Environment 2009-09-10 ARK(1)