Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting monitor size of file in realtime Post 302298197 by hazno on Tuesday 17th of March 2009 01:43:51 AM
Old 03-17-2009
My first attempt...

Check file size
If file reached file size
Append date to filename
Compress filename.$date
scp filename.$date to target server

Code:
#!/bin/bash
SIZE=`ls -la syslog.log | cut -d' ' -f 5 `
echo $SIZE

if [ "$SIZE" -ge 10000000 ]
  then
    `mv syslog.log syslog.log.$date | gzip syslog.log.$date | scp syslog.gz jdoe@system.com:\home\jdoe\logs `
  else
    echo "size not reached yet"
sleep 5
fi

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

monitor jvm heap size

I'm running websphere 4.5 on AIX 5 with java 1.3 and would like to find out the following: How much memory is allocated to each JVM, and how much of the allocated heap size is actually being used by a specific JVM? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
0 Replies

2. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file size and send email only if size > 0.

Hi Experts, I have a script like $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password # << ENDSQL set pagesize 0 trim on feedback off verify off echo off newp none timing off set serveroutput on set heading off spool Schemaerrtmp.txt select ' TIMESTAMP COMPUTER NAME ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: welldone
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan a file in realtime and execute certain commands on encountering 5 consecutive identical lines

Mysql log has something like below: I need a bash shell script that will do the following: 1) The script will scan the mysql.log file constantly in real time (something like tail -F mysql.log) 2) If it encounters 5 consecutive identical lines then it would invoke some commands (say... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor for new file with ext .err and size > 0 bytes and perform a action or command

Hi All, I need to create a script to monitor a dir for new files with ext .err and also it should b a non empty files. and perform a action or command . We have a new ETL application that runs on a linux server, every times a etl fails it creates a .err file or updates the existing .err... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MAKHAN
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor directory size of specific users

Hi, i am new to shell scripts, i need to write a script that can monitor size of directory of specific users. Please help. Thanks, Nitin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicksrulz
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to monitor size in directory

i'm trying to find the most efficient way to monitor specific files in different directories in one go. /var/log/ /var/app/ /var/db/ each one of these directories can have subdirectories which need to be looked into as well. I want to find any file in this directory that has the name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies
xfs_rtcp(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       xfs_rtcp(8)

NAME
xfs_rtcp - XFS realtime copy command SYNOPSIS
xfs_rtcp [ -e extsize ] [ -p ] source ... target DESCRIPTION
xfs_rtcp copies a file to the realtime partition on an XFS filesystem. If there is more than one source and target, the final argument (the target) must be a directory which already exists. OPTIONS
-e extsize Sets the extent size of the destination realtime file. -p Use if the size of the source file is not an even multiple of the block size of the destination filesystem. When -p is specified xfs_rtcp will pad the destination file to a size which is an even multiple of the filesystem block size. This is necessary since the realtime file is created using direct I/O and the minimum I/O is the filesystem block size. SEE ALSO
xfs(5), mkfs.xfs(8), mount(8). CAVEATS
Currently, realtime partitions are not supported under the Linux version of XFS, and use of a realtime partition WILL CAUSE CORRUPTION on the data partition. As such, this command is made available for curious DEVELOPERS ONLY at this point in time. xfs_rtcp(8)