Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SH if statement using FLOAT values Post 302297779 by vgersh99 on Sunday 15th of March 2009 10:25:02 AM
Old 03-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripat
I would have thought that all version of ksh support floating point calculation/comparison.

Mine does:

Code:
a=1.699999
b=1.7
if [[ $a < $b ]];then echo $a smaller than $b;fi

ksh version M 1993-12-28 s+
don't know about k93, but k88 does not.
The OP is actually asking about Bourne - the above should work Bourne as well.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code checking for all values in the same if statement.

I am trying to set up a variable based on the name of the file. function script_name { if then job_name='MONITOR' return job_name; elsif then job_name='VERSION' return job_name fi } for i in `ls *log` do script_name $i done. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracle8
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two float values

I am trying to compare 2 float values using if the foll code does not work a=1.4 b=1.6 if test $a -gt $b then echo "$a is max" else echo "$b is max" fi does -gt work for floating point numbers, if not how do go about for my requirement? can i use bc ? pls help thanks in advance... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavitha
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dividing float values

Hi I know its a dumb question but can any one please explain me the difference of executing a shell script in the following 2 ways. . script.sh sh script.sh I have a problem if I execute the following code as sh script.sh DB_CNT_ALW=0.20 SCT_VAR=0.05 if ; then echo "== Difference... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
3 Replies

4. Programming

math.h: float ceilf(float x)

Good morning, I'm testing the use of ceilf: /*Filename: str.c*/ #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> int main (void) { float ceilf(float x); int dev=3, result=0; float tmp = 3.444f; printf("Result: %f\n",ceilf(tmp)); return 0; } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonas.gabriel
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterative statement to cut values from a line

Hi I am new to shell scripting and trying to get values from a text file, I have a text file with values seperated with "|". like aga|120220090525|120220090525|120220090525|120220090530 bab|120220090530|120220090530|120220090535|120220090535|120220090535... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannepalli
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

float input

how to input float data type in bash shell programming in linux? I am new to it so unaware to use the commands plz help me out. thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: purva
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get Minimun from a Float values

Hi Guys, here is a part of my source code. This part is reponsible to get the minimun of a few values: .......... MAX=0.00 for a in `cat $OFILE` do if then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paat
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

What is float IP?

:confused:We have two servers one active and one stand by as follows Active 202.61.9.9 Stand by 202.61.9.10 Float IP 202.61.9.8 What is use of this float IP? How it is configured? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
1 Replies

9. Programming

Printing float values in C

Hi, I have small problem to print float value in the fallowing code float Cx, W,f=250000, Cr=92.00,pi=3.14; W=2*pi*f; Cx = 1/W.Cr; //Cx value will be come around like 7.07E-9. printf("capacitance value: %.10f",Cx); I am trying to print Cx value using above code but it was not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: veerubiji
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass values to case statement in a function korn shell

I'm in the process of writng a function that consists of a case statement is there a way of calling the function and passing a value to it? ie function1 () { case opt1 do ..... opt2 do..... esac } function opt1 I'm aware the syntax is not correct, but you get the general idea. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: squrcles
1 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)