Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Output of ps + awk in a variable to get PID Post 302296107 by amio on Tuesday 10th of March 2009 11:21:06 AM
Old 03-10-2009
Output of ps + awk in a variable to get PID

Hi All,

I am getting the PID of a process using its name using the following command
in a script

Code:
mypid=`ps aux | awk '/test5/ && !/awk/ { print $2 }'`
echo PID is $mypid

The problem is the PID is not getting printed. But when i run the command directly in shell, the PID got printed.

May i know where am going wrong in the script code?

Thanks in advance.
Amio

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to output awk to a variable

Hi folks, I am wondering how to output awk back to a variable. I am new to Unix/Linux. I am trying to get rid of a decimal number and put the output back in a variable for further use in the script. here is how I used awk: var=$1 echo $var |awk '{print $1 *100}' | $var echo $var this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashirpopal
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set a variable from awk output

I have a file which I am processing using awk to spit out the following: export CLIENT=1 ; export USER=1 ; export METABASE=1 ; export TASK=1 ; export TOTAL=3 What i want to do now is execute that within the script so those variables are available to other commands. I've tried piping the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cranie
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Output into a variable

Hi I am trying to store the output of awk into a variable in a shell script. I can run it successfully from the command line but not from a ksh shell script. ls -al test.txt | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}' returns -rw-r--r-- #!/bin/ksh perm=$(`ls -al test.txt | grep -v grep | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mace_560
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output in a variable

Not sure why it is not working the following : set -- $@ stype ="a" for shell_args in "$@" do $stype=` awk '{print substr ("'"$shell_args"'", 0, 3)}' ` echo $stype done Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andaluzia
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk for setting variable but change the output of this variable within awk

Hi all, Hope someone can help me out here. I have this BASH script (see below) My problem lies with the variable path. The output of the command find will give me several fields. The 9th field is the path. I want to captured that and the I want to filter this to a specific level. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cowardly
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on awk---- need to assign the output of awk to a variable

hi i want to find the size of a folder and assign it to a variable and then compare if it is greater than 1 gb. i am doin this script, but it is throwing error.... #!/bin/ksh cd . | du -s | size = awk '{print $1}' if size >= 112000 then echo size high fi ERROR : (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nithz
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk question : system output to awk variable.

Hi Experts, I am trying to get system output to capture inside awk , but not working: Please advise if this is possible : I am trying something like this but not working, the output is coming wrong: echo "" | awk '{d=system ("date") ; print "Current date is:" , d }' Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the variable from awk output?

I am reading an xml file with date tag as <Date>Default</Date> using the below command. Dt=$(awk -F'' '/<Date>/{print $3}' /home/test/try.xml and getting the value from the xml file stored in this variable "Dt" echo $Dt gives me a value. Dt=Default. Now according to my requirement, If... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saidul
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using variable output in awk

Hi, I am trying to use variable output in awk to append a string to a word in a line. But that is not happening. Could you please help me on this. YouTube Video Tutorial: How to Use Code Tags and Format Posts @UNIX.com The below is the code #!/bin/ksh set -x src=/users/oracle/Temp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvmanikandan
2 Replies
SYSTEMD-NOTIFY(1)                                                 systemd-notify                                                 SYSTEMD-NOTIFY(1)

NAME
systemd-notify - Notify service manager about start-up completion and other daemon status changes SYNOPSIS
systemd-notify [OPTIONS...] [VARIABLE=VALUE...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-notify may be called by daemon scripts to notify the init system about status changes. It can be used to send arbitrary information, encoded in an environment-block-like list of strings. Most importantly, it can be used for start-up completion notification. This is mostly just a wrapper around sd_notify() and makes this functionality available to shell scripts. For details see sd_notify(3). The command line may carry a list of environment variables to send as part of the status update. Note that systemd will refuse reception of status updates from this command unless NotifyAccess= is set for the service unit this command is called from. Note that sd_notify() notifications may be attributed to units correctly only if either the sending process is still around at the time PID 1 processes the message, or if the sending process is explicitly runtime-tracked by the service manager. The latter is the case if the service manager originally forked off the process, i.e. on all processes that match NotifyAccess=main or NotifyAccess=exec. Conversely, if an auxiliary process of the unit sends an sd_notify() message and immediately exits, the service manager might not be able to properly attribute the message to the unit, and thus will ignore it, even if NotifyAccess=all is set for it. systemd-notify will first attempt to invoke sd_notify() pretending to have the PID of the invoking process. This will only succeed when invoked with sufficient privileges. On failure, it will then fall back to invoking it under its own PID. This behaviour is useful in order that when the tool is invoked from a shell script the shell process -- and not the systemd-notify process -- appears as sender of the message, which in turn is helpful if the shell process is the main process of a service, due to the limitations of NotifyAccess=all described above. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --ready Inform the init system about service start-up completion. This is equivalent to systemd-notify READY=1. For details about the semantics of this option see sd_notify(3). --pid= Inform the init system about the main PID of the daemon. Takes a PID as argument. If the argument is omitted, the PID of the process that invoked systemd-notify is used. This is equivalent to systemd-notify MAINPID=$PID. For details about the semantics of this option see sd_notify(3). --uid=USER Set the user ID to send the notification from. Takes a UNIX user name or numeric UID. When specified the notification message will be sent with the specified UID as sender, in place of the user the command was invoked as. This option requires sufficient privileges in order to be able manipulate the user identity of the process. --status= Send a free-form status string for the daemon to the init systemd. This option takes the status string as argument. This is equivalent to systemd-notify STATUS=.... For details about the semantics of this option see sd_notify(3). --booted Returns 0 if the system was booted up with systemd, non-zero otherwise. If this option is passed, no message is sent. This option is hence unrelated to the other options. For details about the semantics of this option, see sd_booted(3). An alternate way to check for this state is to call systemctl(1) with the is-system-running command. It will return "offline" if the system was not booted with systemd. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. EXAMPLE
Example 1. Start-up Notification and Status Updates A simple shell daemon that sends start-up notifications after having set up its communication channel. During runtime it sends further status updates to the init system: #!/bin/bash mkfifo /tmp/waldo systemd-notify --ready --status="Waiting for data..." while : ; do read a < /tmp/waldo systemd-notify --status="Processing $a" # Do something with $a ... systemd-notify --status="Waiting for data..." done SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd.unit(5), sd_notify(3), sd_booted(3) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-NOTIFY(1)