Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Guide for Unix admin
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Guide for Unix admin Post 302293416 by techlinux on Tuesday 3rd of March 2009 05:30:09 AM
Old 03-03-2009
The unix and linux O'Reilly books are really good

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Tips and Tutorials

Read this if you are serious about being a Unix Admin...

Okay someone posted this as a response to a newbie question about books and resources and the ever popular "What should I read to be a good unix admin " newbie question... I feel this should be a sticky, because after having read a good portion of it since yesterday, I noticed the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelam_Magnus
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

Lost both Unix Admin's ....need help

Hi all, I know nothing about unix. Both of our unix guys left for greener pastures. I have been given the task of tring to get 10,000 accounts on a hp ux system into active directory. The accounts don't need to be moved, but they need to be in active directory for a couple of applications. Even if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bob D
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Admin Careers

I wish to transition from Mainframe to Open Systems Storage Administration. How much training would I need in order to meet requirements for an AIX Administrator position? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ednan171
3 Replies

4. Advertise with Us

Where are the UNIX Admin Jobs?

Greetings.... I have asked this question before, and gotten the "go to school response" and the "help desk job" response, the problem is, these positions require experience, and I have not found a company willing to hire me. I have complete a Unix Fundamentals course, and I plan to continue my... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlordane
24 Replies

5. Advertise with Us

Windows to Unix Admin

Hi, I'm looking a bit of advice on a job offer I've been made. I'm currently a Microsoft Windows Administrator, with good experience in this and also in Novell. I've just been offered a job to re-train as a UNIX Administrator. I'm not sure whether to take it or not. It's more... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: horhif
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to UNIX and Linux... need a guide

I want to know about UNIX and Linux. I have Windows7 installed and I would like to know how to start ie 1 softwares needed 2 hardware changes if any 3 any emulator or virtual machine if needed 4 useful links for installation 5 links for study material. Please provide a step by step... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ArpitRaj
1 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 101 : Sys Admin Pocket Survival Guide

HOW-TO AIX Admin 101 Sys Admin Pocket Survival Guide - AIX Worth checking it out and printing it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Guide me in the right direction to develop application for UNIX/Linux

Hi all, Am good in C & C++, i just joined as a fresher in a French IT company. In my own interest and love towards Linux and open source. i want to develop as much as applications for linux. i got the basic training on linux commands, and currently am working really hard to gain more... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_ganapathy
11 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Jr UNIX Admin Position

Hello. I have worked in a desktop support role for the past 2 years. I was approached at my place of work and offered a job as a junior Unix administrator. All training would be provided. The only experience I have is what I have read about Unix in my free time. Nothing more. I had a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tentex87
1 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)