Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Guide for Unix admin
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Guide for Unix admin Post 302293387 by peac3 on Tuesday 3rd of March 2009 04:10:09 AM
Old 03-03-2009
Guide for Unix admin

Hi guys,

I believe most of you guys are guru here.
I'm actually linux/unix programmer and understand some of linux language (sh, bash, perl).

I would like to jump into more technical role which is sys admin which I need to do something like :
- Veritas backup and clustering (I heard our sysadmin use gpfs software about this)
- Unix backup and file restore (I know how to create tar and extract, I read sysadmin usually use dump command)
- install software (I know how to install rpm files, which usually following the readme file, but what about SUN package file?)
- Monitoring software (How sysadmin usually do this? via top command? or any 3rd party software like tivoli)
- Layer 2 and 3 networking like SMTP, DNS (I know some command about this to scan port, check port open using nmap, netstat -ar)
- Web hosting (I know about IIS and abit apache)

If I wanna know all of these, which the best I should start via books or course and certifications? build one box and play around but we need number of boxes to play around about clustering and networking...

So, if you guys can shed a light where should I start and do, that would be appreciated..

Thanks heaps guys,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Tips and Tutorials

Read this if you are serious about being a Unix Admin...

Okay someone posted this as a response to a newbie question about books and resources and the ever popular "What should I read to be a good unix admin " newbie question... I feel this should be a sticky, because after having read a good portion of it since yesterday, I noticed the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelam_Magnus
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

Lost both Unix Admin's ....need help

Hi all, I know nothing about unix. Both of our unix guys left for greener pastures. I have been given the task of tring to get 10,000 accounts on a hp ux system into active directory. The accounts don't need to be moved, but they need to be in active directory for a couple of applications. Even if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bob D
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Admin Careers

I wish to transition from Mainframe to Open Systems Storage Administration. How much training would I need in order to meet requirements for an AIX Administrator position? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ednan171
3 Replies

4. Advertise with Us

Where are the UNIX Admin Jobs?

Greetings.... I have asked this question before, and gotten the "go to school response" and the "help desk job" response, the problem is, these positions require experience, and I have not found a company willing to hire me. I have complete a Unix Fundamentals course, and I plan to continue my... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlordane
24 Replies

5. Advertise with Us

Windows to Unix Admin

Hi, I'm looking a bit of advice on a job offer I've been made. I'm currently a Microsoft Windows Administrator, with good experience in this and also in Novell. I've just been offered a job to re-train as a UNIX Administrator. I'm not sure whether to take it or not. It's more... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: horhif
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to UNIX and Linux... need a guide

I want to know about UNIX and Linux. I have Windows7 installed and I would like to know how to start ie 1 softwares needed 2 hardware changes if any 3 any emulator or virtual machine if needed 4 useful links for installation 5 links for study material. Please provide a step by step... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ArpitRaj
1 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 101 : Sys Admin Pocket Survival Guide

HOW-TO AIX Admin 101 Sys Admin Pocket Survival Guide - AIX Worth checking it out and printing it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Guide me in the right direction to develop application for UNIX/Linux

Hi all, Am good in C & C++, i just joined as a fresher in a French IT company. In my own interest and love towards Linux and open source. i want to develop as much as applications for linux. i got the basic training on linux commands, and currently am working really hard to gain more... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_ganapathy
11 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Jr UNIX Admin Position

Hello. I have worked in a desktop support role for the past 2 years. I was approached at my place of work and offered a job as a junior Unix administrator. All training would be provided. The only experience I have is what I have read about Unix in my free time. Nothing more. I had a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tentex87
1 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies
GPODDER-BACKUP(1)						   User Commands						 GPODDER-BACKUP(1)

NAME
gpodder-backup - Backup and restore utility for gPodder user data SYNOPSIS
gpodder-backup [--create|--extract] <archive.gpo.tar.gz> [options] gpodder-backup --purge DESCRIPTION
This utility can be used to create a dump of the current gPodder data (configuration files + downloads), optionally replacing the real con- tents of the download folder with zero-byte files (for submitting your data to a bug report without having to transfer lots of data). OPTIONS
--version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit -c <FILE>, --create=<FILE> Create a new archive -x <FILE>, --extract=<FILE> Extract an existing archive -f, --fake-downloads Store downloads as zero-byte files in backup -n, --no-covers Do not include cover files in archive -D <DIR>, --destination=<DIR> Extract downloads in different folder -P, --purge Remove current data (can be combined with --extract) USAGE FOR BUG REPORTING
This command is useful if you want to report a bug in gPodder: gpodder-backup --create bug123.gpo.tar.gz --fake-downloads Backup your current data to file bug123.gpo.tar.gz, but don't store download data (create zero-size dummy files instead). You can then attach bug123.gpo.tar.gz to the bug report. If you are instructed to try gPodder from a "clean state", you can use the following command (be sure to backup your data before!): gpodder-backup --purge Remove all gPodder data, so you can start from a clean state EXAMPLES
gpodder-backup --create today.gpo.tar.gz Backup your current data to file today.gpo.tar.gz gpodder-backup --extract mybackup.gpo.tar.gz Restore (without purging) the contents of mybackup.gpo.tar.gz gpodder-backup --extract default.gpo.tar.gz --purge Remove current data, then restore the contents of default.gpo.tar.gz gpodder-backup --purge Remove all gPodder data, so you can start from a clean state EXTRACTING FAKED DOWNLOADS
Please note that any existing downloads will be overwritten with zero-byte files when using the --extract option of the gpodder-backup utility with a backup created with --fake-downloads AUTHOR
gpodder-backup was written by Thomas Perl (thp@gpodder.org) gpodder-backup 1.0 December 2010 GPODDER-BACKUP(1)