Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to remove all except one file? Post 302292686 by Tuche on Sunday 1st of March 2009 10:34:38 AM
Old 03-01-2009
Sorry for bumping this, but . . .

if i wanted to delete all files and/or folders inside a specific folder but keep the files and folders that start with p and m, i should do . . .

rm -R *.* !(p*) !(m*)

is that correct ?

Thanks !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch file to remove double quotes from a file

Hi I have to create a windows batch file which will read an input file and remove "double quotes" from each line of the file. For eg.If input file name is abcd.csv and contents is : "asasd,123123,213213,asd" "esfrf,dsfsdf,234324,sdfsdf" Then the batch file should remove "" from the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashtcs
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to copy a file without remove the contents of the target file?

Hello every body, Kindly support me to "copy a file without remove the contents of the target file" Thanks in advance. :) Ahmed Amer Cairo,Egypt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to remove 1st line of a file and save the file with same old name

Hi friends, I have a doubt, I am not sure whether it is possible ah nu. I am having a file(sample.txt) which contain 5 lines. I want to remove 1st line in the file and save the file with same old name (sample.txt). For removing 1st line i am using sed 1d filename But dono how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines from first file comparing second file

Hi, I have two files with below data:: file1:- 123|aaa|ppp 445|fff|yyy 999|ttt|jjj 555|hhh|hhh file2:- 445|fff|yyy 555|hhh|hhh The records present in file1, not present in file 2 should be writtent to the out put file. output:- 123|aaa|ppp 999|ttt|jjj Is there any one line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove blank lines in a file and save the file with same name?

I have a text file which has blank lines. I want them to be removed before upload it to DB using SQL *Loader. Below is the command line, i use to remove blank lines. sed '/^ *$/d' /loc/test.txt If i use the below command to replace the file after removing the blank lines, it replace the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove bad records from file and move them into a file then send those via email

Hi my requirement is that i want pull the bad records from input file and move those records in to a seperate file. that file has to be sent via email.. any suggentions please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sxk4999
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove comments from file with specific file name extensions

Hello Unix board community, I have to program a shell script, but I am a complete noob so I hope I get some help here. The assignment is as follows: The program removes all comments regardless of formatting or language from files with specific file name extensions (php, css, js, ...).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheZeusMan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Loop through file one, remove lines from file two

Good Afternoon, I start with a file named biglist.txt. I have another file smallerlist. txt I want to remove the lines from smallerlist.txt from biglist.txt and leave those lines that do not reside in smallerlist.txt. Thanks !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk remove/grab lines from file with pattern from other file

Sorry for the weird title but i have the following problem. We have several files which have between 10000 and about 500000 lines in them. From these files we want to remove lines which contain a pattern which is located in another file (around 20000 lines, all EAN codes). We also want to get... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDohmen
28 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove lines from File.A based on criteria in File.B

Hello, I have two files of the following form. I would like to remove from File.A where the first three colum matches values in File.B to give the output in File.C File.A 121 54321 PQR CAT 122 765431 ABC DOG 124 98765 ZXY TIGER 125 86432 GEF LION File.B 122 765431 ABC 125 86432 GEF... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies
rmf(1mh)																  rmf(1mh)

Name
       rmf - remove folder

Syntax
       rmf [ +folder ] [ -help ] [ -[no]interactive ]

Description
       The  command  removes all of the messages within the current folder, and then removes the folder itself.  If there are any files within the
       folder which are not part of MH, they are not removed, and an error message is displayed.

You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument.  If you do not specify a folder, and cannot find  the
       current folder, asks you whether you want to delete instead.

If the current folder is removed, it makes current.

Note that the command irreversibly deletes messages that do not have other links, so use it with caution.

If  the folder being removed is a sub-folder, the parent folder becomes the new current folder, and tells you that this has happened.  This
       provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list  and  returning  to  the  current
       folder from which the list was extracted.

Using to delete a read-only folder deletes the private sequence and current message information from the file, without affecting the folder
       itself.	If you have sub-folders within a folder, you must delete all the sub-folders before you can delete the folder itself.

Options
       -help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-interactive
       -nointeractive
		 Asks for confirmation before deleting a folder.  By default, deletes a folder and its messages without asking	for  confirmation.
		 If  you  specify  the	-interactive option, asks if you are sure before deleting the folder.  You are advised to use this option,
		 since when deletes a folder its contents are lost irretrievably.

Examples
       This example shows how asks for confirmation when the -interactive option is used:
       % rmf -interactive +test
       Remove folder "test"? y

Profile Components
       Path:   To determine the user's Mail directory

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       rmm(1mh)

rmf(1mh)